Normal Island

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

As long as she gets the media praise from it to highlight how amazing a person she is... 

I get the sentiment but then what's the point in anyone rich doing anything nice ever? There's so many things to be annoyed at taylor swift for. Imo, this is not one of them

To be clear, Miss Swift isn't (entirely) the point I was making. How many other developed countries is her tour going to where she's making charity donations because people can't afford to feed themselves? How many other developed countries is her tour going to where she's making charity donations because people can't afford to feed themselves while tens of thousands of people attend multiple gigs at several hundred pounds a ticket plus travel, plus accommodation, plus merchandise? What does it say about the developed country where that's even conceivable, never mind where it actually happens?

17 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

To be clear, Miss Swift isn't (entirely) the point I was making. How many other developed countries is her tour going to where she's making charity donations because people can't afford to feed themselves? How many other developed countries is her tour going to where she's making charity donations because people can't afford to feed themselves while tens of thousands of people attend multiple gigs at several hundred pounds a ticket plus travel, plus accommodation, plus merchandise? What does it say about the developed country where that's even conceivable, never mind where it actually happens?

That it's probably not all that developed after all 👀

This is the world we're now in; billionaires being allowed to reduce their contribution to the rest of society, then making token gestures towards the organisations that have tried to fill the gaps they've left in exchange for uncritical praise.

7 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Plenty of food banks in the USA, Miss Swift's own country. And, there are numerous food banks in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and France as well.  I have no idea what, if any, donations she has made there or even if she is playing there. 

So, we're in pretty good company to the shame of each and every one of those 'developed' countries.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Plenty of food banks in the USA, Miss Swift's own country. And, there are numerous food banks in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and France as well.  I have no idea what, if any, donations she has made there or even if she is playing there. 

So, we're in pretty good company to the shame of each and every one of those 'developed' countries.

The US was huge on food banks long before they exploded here too. We've moved toward their model of "f**k the poor, I got mine" and it won't be long before a generation won't have known life to be any different, which is how the battle's won with these societal changes.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

The US was huge on food banks long before they exploded here too. We've moved toward their model of "f**k the poor, I got mine" and it won't be long before a generation won't have known life to be any different, which is how the battle's won with these societal changes.

I've just heard my 14 year old have a (rather foul-mouthed) rant about the hypocrisy of it all. There still hope yet

32 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I've just heard my 14 year old have a (rather foul-mouthed) rant about the hypocrisy of it all. There still hope yet

ask them to contribute to the swear box. The money will go to a food bank. 

On 12/06/2024 at 15:51, Miguel Sanchez said:

You know when you see something and in your head immediately go that's one for the normal island thread

Touring billionaire who charges hundreds of pounds per person to see her donates to food bank 

On 12/06/2024 at 19:15, Tartan Dave said:

Far be it from me to be sticking up for Taylor Swift but it's a relatively nice gesture no? A lot of superstars have not made a similar gesture

Swift has been making donations at literally every tour stop, and her fans have also been making significant donations in response to hers. She also gave each of the 50+ truck drivers on her NA Eras Tour a cheque for $100,000…which tells you she’s absolutely minting cash.

On 13/06/2024 at 09:21, 19QOS19 said:

As long as she gets the media praise from it to highlight how amazing a person she is... 

As I recall, the local donation flew under the radar until a local Swiftie group held a donation event for the food back, and a news station reporting it found a fan that mentioned Taylor had donated and it made them think of the idea.

On 13/06/2024 at 16:33, Miguel Sanchez said:

It’s even more true in the U.S., with the neutered social safety net…but, keep trying, Rishi will get you there.

On 14/06/2024 at 00:27, hk blues said:

She’s donating everywhere, as she can well afford to. The sad fact is she’s one of the more conscious celebrities, and even so her footprint to do these concerts is still probably much more harmful than the effort she puts in to help.

49 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Lead item on the news - woman sits in horse drawn carriage, then stands on balcony.

Either yesterday or today, the lead item on the lunchtime news was "a new picture of Catherine, Princess of Wales was released to the public today".  Was passing the TV at the time and pished myself laughing.

The British public's parasocial relationship with their betters will never stop being equally hilarious and disturbing.

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

Swift has been making donations at literally every tour stop, and her fans have also been making significant donations in response to hers. She also gave each of the 50+ truck drivers on her NA Eras Tour a cheque for $100,000…which tells you she’s absolutely minting cash.

As I recall, the local donation flew under the radar until a local Swiftie group held a donation event for the food back, and a news station reporting it found a fan that mentioned Taylor had donated and it made them think of the idea.

It’s even more true in the U.S., with the neutered social safety net…but, keep trying, Rishi will get you there.

She’s donating everywhere, as she can well afford to. The sad fact is she’s one of the more conscious celebrities, and even so her footprint to do these concerts is still probably much more harmful than the effort she puts in to help.

For me, folk can cut it any way they like but plenty of celebrities choose not to contribute so to criticise one who does seems churlish. 

29 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

50+ trucks. She playing gigs or invading Europe?

Those tins of soup and packets of noodles aren't going to deliver themselves. 

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

50+ trucks. She playing gigs or invading Europe?

Well, the arenas she was playing here were almost all 45,000-50,000+ plus, with multiple shows. The stages, lights, audio and all that stuff alone could easily have been 10+ trucks because these are venues not equipped with their own materials for that level of show. Has to be at least a half dozen trucks for the members of the tour and all their stuff, and surely Taylor has a couple of trucks for equipment and props.…it is literally an invasion. If I had to guess, they probably had two drivers per truck, so maybe only 25 trucks?

The total bonuses issued to all tour staff, performers and associates was $55 million…each with a handwritten thank you note.

The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia estimated the net economic impact of the Swift’s Eras Tour at $5 billion.

It was reported that she donated enough to cover 75,000 meals to each local food back, that’s about $262,500 to each bank.

Edited by TxRover

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

Either yesterday or today, the lead item on the lunchtime news was "a new picture of Catherine, Princess of Wales was released to the public today".  Was passing the TV at the time and pished myself laughing.

The British public's parasocial relationship with their betters will never stop being equally hilarious and disturbing.