Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

24 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If Wales and Austria still play in March, then our chances of doing well in both the nations league and World Cup play off are greatly diminished. 

What makes you think this?

Whether they play now or in June, they’ll need to play three competitive matches within ten days of the playoff final. Either the SF or one UNL game on the 4th, and then UNL games on the 7th and 11th.

In our case it would be SF-UNL-UNL regardless.

If we won that semi final on the 4th we will be resting players in the nations league without a shadow of a doubt. And that is the case regardless of whether the Wales/Austria semi takes place now or in June. Likewise those teams will need to manage their squad through the 4 competitive games in 10 days regardless of whether the first is a UNL game or the SF. 

Just now, Donathan said:

What makes you think this?

Whether they play now or in June, they’ll need to play three competitive matches within ten days of the playoff final. Either the SF or one UNL game on the 4th, and then UNL games on the 7th and 11th.

In our case it would be SF-UNL-UNL regardless.

If we won that semi final on the 4th we will be resting players in the nations league without a shadow of a doubt. And that is the case regardless of whether the Wales/Austria semi takes place now or in June. Likewise those teams will need to manage their squad through the 4 competitive games in 10 days regardless of whether the first is a UNL game or the SF. 

I wasn’t really talking about Wales v Austria in terms of the Nations League - we will be disadvantaged by that regardless. The Nations League is obviously a very important competition. 

You would rather be managing your squad through three nations league games, rather than a high intensity semi final and then two nations league games. But yeah - maybe not a huge difference. Regardless, it can’t be helped so we’ll just need to deal with it! At least we now have several options for different positions, and I’m assuming we would be able to call up a pretty big squad. 

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I wasn’t really talking about Wales v Austria in terms of the Nations League - we will be disadvantaged by that regardless. The Nations League is obviously a very important competition. 

You would rather be managing your squad through three nations league games, rather than a high intensity semi final and then two nations league games. But yeah - maybe not a huge difference. Regardless, it can’t be helped so we’ll just need to deal with it! At least we now have several options for different positions, and I’m assuming we would be able to call up a pretty big squad. 

My guess is that if everyone’s fit, we’d play our first XI for the SF, and if we win it, everyone would only play one of the two UNL games.

Something like:

SF team (+ Final?)

Gordon

McTominay-Hanley-Tierney

Patterson-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn

Dykes-Adams

Ukraine in UNL

Gordon

Hendry-Hanley-Souttar

Patterson-Jack-McGregor-Ralston

McGinn

Christie-Dykes

Ireland in UNL

Gordon

McTominay-McKenna-Tierney

SOD-Gilmour-McLean-Robertson

Armstrong

Adams-Brown

If we lost the SF we could just go all in for the UNL 

10 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We will be able to prepare for our play-off final opponents well in advance while Wales/Austria won't know until fairly short notice.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

We will be able to prepare for our play-off final opponents well in advance while Wales/Austria won't know until fairly short notice.

I don’t overly buy this as the winner of Wales/Austria would just prepare for either opponent regardless. As I said though, possibly not as big a deal as I initially thought. 

Ah well, thats so many hundreds down the drain on wasted flights for the play-offs and most likely the away fixtures in June. 
As much as I understand completely why its postponed, fans are shafted by this massively.
Yeah it'll be shite for tonnes of fans. I'm a bit lucky with March as everything I've booked is cancellable and I haven't booked for June, but things will get awkward further down the line in terms of holidays, money and logistics. I suppose if Wales-Austria is played this month then that will make speculatively booking the play-off final a bit better.

The Sun have the Ukraine semi final as potentially being 4th June and the final on the 7th which works out better for anyone booked for Ireland and Armenia away.

Would mean fixtures in June are

Saturday 4th June - Ukraine (h) Playoff semi final
Tuesday 7th June - Possible playoff final (a)
Saturday 11th June - Ireland (a) Nations League
Tuesday 14th June - Armenia (a) Nations League

10 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The Sun have the Ukraine semi final as potentially being 4th June and the final on the 7th which works out better for anyone booked for Ireland and Armenia away.

This scenario definitely would disadvantage us or Ukraine v Wales/Austria so hopefully not... particularly with the possibility of extra time and penalties. 

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'd say the Ukraine game must be 50-50 on actually going ahead though, if it doesn't I'd say it massively advantages us since we'll either be idle or playing a reserve line-up in a friendly.

Say Ukraine still can’t fulfil the fixture in July, do they postpone it again? 

Dreadful disadvantage to us. Right decision to postpone, but SFA need to be all over that 3 day turnaround

33 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Dreadful disadvantage to us. Right decision to postpone, but SFA need to be all over that 3 day turnaround

Wales have a game in that window too 

19 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Wales have a game in that window too 

It is hardly the same though, they would have the option to play a mixed side in their Nations League game. The build up and intensity of a play off semi final as opposed to a nations league game is also entirely different. 

Disappointing that the game is delayed but it gives us more time to make something of the event. 

it won’t be a normal game of football either way and we need to show our solidarity with the Ukrainian people.

we are trying to raise money from tartan army fans to go to Ukraine to help it defend itself - I think this would send a big message. 

If everyone going just gave £1 we’d smash our target 

what do you reckon? https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/tartan-army-defend-ukraine

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Regardless of what others say this is without doubt the best solution for the fans.

People have booked to go to Ireland and Armenia already.

Also, the 3 day turnaround argument is a non-started because even if we play it on the 14th it’s still a 3 day turnaround with Wales/Austria having the same situation.

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:
2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
What are the chances of a friendly vs Poland instead? Would we need to wait for the CAS ruling on Russia first?

Aye we are probably waiting for CAS

Poland won't be playing against Russia regardless, they've already said so.