The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

On 23/12/2022 at 06:07, cdhafc1874 said:

Brazil's shouldn't be a problem as we are ahead of them timezone wise.

Unless he manages to pop his clogs in the 3 hrs between New Year here & New Year in Brazil!

Looking like an early favorite for last of 2022…disappointing, hold on, laddie!

Week 52 update

Forgot what day it was. One death this week, Fulham player George Cohen: George Cohen obituary | Football | The Guardian

Cohen was born in Kensington, west London, and brought up in Fulham, where his Irish-born mother, Catherine (nee Gibbs), was a stores manager at the local Lots Road power station and his father, Louis (known as Harry) Cohen, was a gas fitter. Though of Jewish heritage on his father’s side, with some of his family originally from Ukraine, Cohen never regarded himself as a member of the faith.

George’s mother, a strong woman, was the greatest influence on his life, and it was she who backed his desire to become a professional footballer straight from school – while his father argued that he should learn a trade before even entertaining the idea. From an early age George had stood out as being quicker and stronger than many other children – something he partly put down to his ability to drink boiled cabbage water – often the only fare his hard-up parents could afford – “without gagging”. A good boxer, he maintained a strong interest in the fight game throughout his life, but his footballing talent was spotted at Fulham Central school by the former Fulham player Ernie Shepherd. With his mother’s backing, George took up an offer to join the club’s ground staff.

Cohen made his first team debut in 1957 as a 17-year-old in a characterful Second Division side that also included Johnny Haynes and Jimmy Hill. Cohen’s pace, admirable physique and attacking intent made a mark from the very start, and he quickly became one of the most popular footballers of his era, helping his side, in 1959, gain promotion to the First Division, where they remained for all but the very end of his career. Full-backs in those days were expected to be hard-tackling and robust rather than swift and tricky, so he was helping to break the mould. “My game depended on great fitness more than most,” he once said. “It was so much part of my technique that it was the most valuable tool of my trade.”

I was thinking about this the other day when it was posted here and I wonder how many of these footballers there are left that I can post about. One club men from a bygone age. Fulham got promoted a few years ago, spent 100 million on a new team and were relegated again after a season. The idea of someone being born in London, growing up and just playing a full career for them is completely unthinkable.

With the recent World Cup win for Lionel Messi there's been a lot of (awful) discussion about whether this makes him the greatest - the argument being he's done so much for so long and we've seen all of it. He's a bit of a bad comparison here because he spent so long at one cub but even then, the Barcelona from 2010 onwards just seems to define football as it is now - money, players, the absolute pinnacle of the sport from a business perspective as much as a sporting one. Even two of their best ever players went abroad at the end of their careers for money, and probably for marketing the club and its brands as much as benefitting themselves. 

In Scotland we have it easy with our comparatively small clubs. Can you just be a local fan anymore, the way your dad was in the past, if you're a fan of a club in a rich league? I don't know. I don't think George Cohens can exist at every level anymore and I don't think that's a good thing. I'll always feel a tinge of sadness whenever I see someone in these circumstances go.

Cohen was voted England's greatest ever right back in a fan poll. Outside of this, he had an unremarkable international career.

Cohen died at 83, making him worth 42 Base Points for @BillyAnchor, @dagane, @pub car king and @superbigal, with a Deadly December bonus doubling that for 84 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 691
2. JustOneCornetto 680
3. Indale Winton 635
4. Ned Nederlander 571
5. chompmyroot 551
6. Arch Stanton, sparky88 518
8. Billy Jean King 460
9. gkneil 455
10. Arabdownunder 445
11. weirdcal 430
12. psv_killie 426
13. Moomintroll 416
14. pub car king 399
15. mathematics 394
16. peasy23 391
17. The_Craig 388
18. buddiepaul 361
19. Fuctifano, Sweaty Morph 342
21. Sergeant Wilson 341
22. Savage Henry 338
23. thistledo 336
24. pawpar 327
25. The DA 321
26. cdhafc1874 305
27. Raidernation 291
28. Melanius Mullarkay 280
29. The Master 273
30. scottsdad, tamthebam 262
32. nessies long lost ghost 259
33. Arbroathlegend36-0 255
34. Blootoon87 253
35. Lofarl 249
36. lichtgilphead 237
37. Karpaty Lviv 235
38. microdave 228
39. 10menwent2mow 223
40. HI HAT 222
41. ICTJohnboy 221
42. senorsoupe 219
43. Desp 217
44. ayrunitedfw, The Naitch 213
46. ThomCat 208
47. Aim Here 205
48. Florentine_Pogen 202
49. gingette 199
50. jimbaxters 196
51. sleazy 194
52. paulathame 171
53. LoonsYouthTeam, thisal 160
55. qos_75 159
56. Mark Connolly 153
57. mozam76, The Hologram 146
59. Billy Anchor 142
60. Scorge 141
61. mizfit 136

62. sophia 131
63. Lex 125

64. willie adie 115
65. dagane 113
65. Hamish's Passenger, speckled tangerine 112
67. Les Cabbage 111
68. Miguel Sanchez 105

69. Bully Wee Villa 104
70. Glen Sannox 101
71. Oystercatcher 85
72. superbigal 84
73. djchapsticks, Enigma 81
75. Ray Patterson 76
76. stanton 75
77. cambozpar 74
78. statts1976uk 68
79. D.V.T. 59
80. Aladdin, doulikefish, HTG, invergowrie arab, smpar, Soapy FFC 58
86. Cardinal Richelieu, get_the_subbies_on, RossBFaeDundee 52
89. Amarillo Bairn 44
91. Bert Raccoon 39
92. Curmudgeon 35
93. Bold Rover, Clockwork,  Duszek, Hedgecutter, lolls, Stringer Bell 29
99. amnarab 27

ZERO POINTERS - @Cairn Terrier @dee_62 @DG.Roma @Eednud @expatowner @HibsFan @HK Hibee @ParsJake @Raven @Richey Edwards  @superwell87 @TxRover @wellinwigan

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

Thanks for update @Miguel Sanchez but two quick things before I head out for my Christmas dinner

The guys who picked Cohen should get double points for Deadly December

I sent a DM with my 2023 list a few days ago but it still shows 'Not Read Yet'. Do I need to send it to you again?

7 minutes ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Thanks for update @Miguel Sanchez but two quick things before I head out for my Christmas dinner

This is a good point thank you

7 minutes ago, JustOneCornetto said:

I sent a DM with my 2023 list a few days ago but it still shows 'Not Read Yet'. Do I need to send it to you again?

Not had anything from you yet. Give it another try.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Got Pele on your mind? He’ll be worth a cool 43 when he kicks.

He was my captain this year and I've kept him as captain for next year

Don't know when I'd prefer the points though as I don't think I'll be winning this year now

56 minutes ago, dagane said:

He was my captain this year and I've kept him as captain for next year

Don't know when I'd prefer the points though as I don't think I'll be winning this year now

I have him for 2022 and have promoted him for 2023…hold on, laddie!

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Got Pele on your mind? He’ll be worth a cool 43 when he kicks.

Depends. He could easily, depending on circumstances, be worth 65, 68, 86, 90, 111, 129, or 154 points - all of which are fairly likely at this stage.

(Unlikely possibilities are him dying of unnatural causes, or surviving until next October)

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

Depends. He could easily, depending on circumstances, be worth 65, 68, 86, 90, 111, 129, or 154 points - all of which are fairly likely at this stage.

(Unlikely possibilities are him dying of unnatural causes, or surviving until next October)

Actually, right now he’s worth a minimum of 86 through year end…but I was pointing out that perhaps thinking of Pele (43 base points) was throwing off his totaling Cohen at 42 base points…

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Actually, right now he’s worth a minimum of 86 through year end…but I was pointing out that perhaps thinking of Pele (43 base points) was throwing off his totaling Cohen at 42 base points…

I wasn't thinking of Pele I'm just a complete moron