The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

Deborah James update

Since she's been in the news this week and the subject came up in the past few pages, why not. Since I started running this game I've tried to be as fair and transparent as possible. This has proven helpful when I can't count or work spreadsheets and every mistake I make is noticed and pointed out (this is good and you should all do it all the time). I think it's also been a net benefit for myself and everyone who plays, since nobody really takes it seriously enough to get upset and realises that it's all in good fun, and all of the conditions and judgements are reasonable. 

When people submit teams with dead people on them I don't tell them because I find it funny. Unlike famous for being ill or famous for being a relative there's no judgement to make here, they're eligible (alive) or they're not (dead). I've been having a think and I don't think the ill or relative rules have ever come up since I've done the Dead Pool until this year, where someone picked Harvey Price. Since he wasn't a valid pick I told the person who picked him and got a replacement. 

When the Deborah James picks were coming in I had never heard of her, so I looked her up. Podcast host, Sun columnist, author, well, that all checks out. Casting my mind back now I think I might have taken it that she already did some or all of these things before she was diagnosed with cancer, rather than doing all of these things because she had cancer. She's listed as "journalist" on the spreadsheet and this is what both Google and Wikipedia call her, and what I'm pretty sure they called her at the turn of the year.

Thinking aloud, this is probably the sort of case the Terminal rule might be instituted specifically for. Someone who was notable and developed an illness is fine. But then, you can suffer from a condition your whole life and still be famous. Is a Paralympic athlete who was born without legs famous because they're ill? That's probably a bad example because not having legs isn't terminal the way cancer is. What about Marieke Vervoort - Wikipedia from 2019? She suffered from a degenerative muscle condition. If she couldn't go into para-sport nobody would have heard of her, yet there she was. Are there different levels of terminal illness?

I'm not going to take away @Billy Jean King, @Bishop Briggs, @Indale Winton, @mathematics and @Moomintroll's picks because it's not right to do that now (and because Bishop Briggs would shout at me obv), but if it was December right now and people started sending me in teams featuring Deborah James, I don't think I'd accept her. I know we had some discussion on her in the past few pages but I'm open to everyone putting in their thoughts. I think a re-examination of this rule is probably useful for 2023 either way though.

21 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm not going to take away @Billy Jean King, @Bishop Briggs, @Indale Winton, @mathematics and @Moomintroll's picks because it's not right to do that now (and because Bishop Briggs would shout at me obv), but if it was December right now and people started sending me in teams featuring Deborah James, I don't think I'd accept her. I know we had some discussion on her in the past few pages but I'm open to everyone putting in their thoughts. I think a re-examination of this rule is probably useful for 2023 either way though.

Are you paranoid, obsessed or just trolling again?

I would be happy to submit an alternative VP and replacement pick.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

10 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Deborah James update

Since she's been in the news this week and the subject came up in the past few pages, why not. Since I started running this game I've tried to be as fair and transparent as possible. This has proven helpful when I can't count or work spreadsheets and every mistake I make is noticed and pointed out (this is good and you should all do it all the time). I think it's also been a net benefit for myself and everyone who plays, since nobody really takes it seriously enough to get upset and realises that it's all in good fun, and all of the conditions and judgements are reasonable. 

When people submit teams with dead people on them I don't tell them because I find it funny. Unlike famous for being ill or famous for being a relative there's no judgement to make here, they're eligible (alive) or they're not (dead). I've been having a think and I don't think the ill or relative rules have ever come up since I've done the Dead Pool until this year, where someone picked Harvey Price. Since he wasn't a valid pick I told the person who picked him and got a replacement. 

When the Deborah James picks were coming in I had never heard of her, so I looked her up. Podcast host, Sun columnist, author, well, that all checks out. Casting my mind back now I think I might have taken it that she already did some or all of these things before she was diagnosed with cancer, rather than doing all of these things because she had cancer. She's listed as "journalist" on the spreadsheet and this is what both Google and Wikipedia call her, and what I'm pretty sure they called her at the turn of the year.

Thinking aloud, this is probably the sort of case the Terminal rule might be instituted specifically for. Someone who was notable and developed an illness is fine. But then, you can suffer from a condition your whole life and still be famous. Is a Paralympic athlete who was born without legs famous because they're ill? That's probably a bad example because not having legs isn't terminal the way cancer is. What about Marieke Vervoort - Wikipedia from 2019? She suffered from a degenerative muscle condition. If she couldn't go into para-sport nobody would have heard of her, yet there she was. Are there different levels of terminal illness?

Good call Miguel,  I have held my hands up previously regarding her eligibility as I am far too lazy to do any proper research. If she goes, and I hope she doesn't, can we get some points based on the median for the year, (We can call it the Bowelbabe Paradox), and redefine the qualification rules for next year if we all make it. If it's a no then meh, like I said, I was far too lazy in the first place, so he who researchef not, getteth hee haw points, as a wise man once said.

3 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

5.png.8f876f243e5a4650b8e636c18b5e9d35.png

Everyone's made their picks and it's not fair to have them change. Especially since there's a range of Captaincies and regular picks. I'm to blame here but I don't think it's that egregious, given the circumstances.

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

nobody really takes it seriously enough to get upsetway though.

4 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The whole year should be null and void.

It's a tricky one.

On the one hand, it's harsh to say she's only famous for being ill, rather that she has used her illness to tirelessly campaign and raise money for charity, and has become famous as a result. From that point of view, she isn't really that different from anyone else that becomes famous for charitable work.

On the other hand, I didn't pick her, so I don't think anyone should get any points for her.

I think in fairness to the rest of us proud, noble and rule sticking dead pool players that a solution has presented itself here.  

When she does sadly pass on, those cheating, dishonest and conniving players that picked her and in effect spat in our collective faces should have the base points deducted from their scores.  Minus 85 points.

Actually double that for Moomintroll, just for a laugh.

Edited by Lofarl

10 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

I think in fairness to the rest of us proud, noble and rule sticking dead pool players that a solution has presented its self here.  

When she does sadly pass on, those cheating, dishonest and conniving players that picked her and in effect spat in our collective faces should have the base points deducted from their scores.  Minus 85 points.

Actually double that for Moomintroll, just for a laugh.

You assume I have that many points to deduct, but, aye even I would do that to me.

6 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Of course you would. We'd ALL be happy to submit alternative picks in the middle of May. It's obviously not fair on the rest of us who didn't try to sneakily slip invalid picks past Miguel in the first place. Surely the issue is whether or not to void the pick leaving you with nul points even if she dies, and I wouldn't be surprised if you shouted at Miguel in those circumstances.

Although I admire* the ability of the five players to pick up the low-hanging fruit, if I was on Deadpool VAR I'd probably be overturning any Deborah James picks on the terminal rule. Players to either accept the null and void or gamble on purchasing a sub for 50 points, and the whole thing to be televised live with Sanchez doing his best Jim Bowen impression. 

* probably not the right word TBH

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's a tricky one.

On the one hand, it's harsh to say she's only famous for being ill, rather that she has used her illness to tirelessly campaign and raise money for charity, and has become famous as a result. From that point of view, she isn't really that different from anyone else that becomes famous for charitable work.

On the other hand, I didn't pick her, so I don't think anyone should get any points for her.

While I'm not going to get bent out of shape either way, she was on my 'very' shortlist but I didn't pick her because she was only famous for being ill. A 'Mail Online' obsessed wife put me straight. She was a teacher who got cancer and then started the blog etc on the back of that. The only reason she has any renown (for lack of a better way of putting it) is because of her podcast about her cancer and it picked up from there.

27 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Did anyone have Capt. Col. Lord Sir Tom of the NHS regt. a few years back?  Surely he was only famous for being on his way to the big Officers Mess in the sky.

What happened in that scenario?

He was old and relatively low hanging fruit, he was going to go sometime, its like googling 'oldest person in the world' and putting them in your team or even picking the Queen or the Chooky Embra, you know they're obit worthy and more likely to die than (for example) Meghan Markle. Captain Tom didn't have anything wrong with him as such, just a famous old fecker. I've got some obscure old folk on my long list, purely because they're old and nobody else is likely to pick them but I've got no idea of their health as they're not famous enough for anyone to give a crap but they would get an obit. That's the gamble, we're all going to go at some point, the knack is to get the most points from them. 

I feel for Miguel here, he's going to get it tight either way, not from me I hasten to add. Tin hat time for Miguel.....

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

While I'm not going to get bent out of shape either way, she was on my 'very' shortlist but I didn't pick her because she was only famous for being ill. A 'Mail Online' obsessed wife put me straight. She was a teacher who got cancer and then started the blog etc on the back of that. The only reason she has any renown (for lack of a better way of putting it) is because of her podcast about her cancer and it picked up from there.

He was old and relatively low hanging fruit, he was going to go sometime, its like googling 'oldest person in the world' and putting them in your team or even picking the Queen or the Chooky Embra, you know they're obit worthy and more likely to die than (for example) Meghan Markle. Captain Tom didn't have anything wrong with him as such, just a famous old fecker. I've got some obscure old folk on my long list, purely because they're old and nobody else is likely to pick them but I've got no idea of their health as they're not famous enough for anyone to give a crap but they would get an obit. That's the gamble, we're all going to go at some point, the knack is to get the most points from them. 

I feel for Miguel here, he's going to get it tight either way, not from me I hasten to add. Tin hat time for Miguel.....

Have you not read the theories about Her Princess Di-ness?

Meghan could be on borrowed time.

17 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Yeah, that's fair enough.

I suppose we are effectively trying to establish when someone who is ineligible can become eligible as a pick. Does her fame for raising awareness of the campaign, and her fundraising, exceed her initial fame for being ill, or does it permanently exclude her? Would, for example, Doreen Lawrence be eligible, if effectively she was famous for being the mother of a victim of a heinous crime? And was Chooky Embra himself actually eligible, given he was basically famous for being married to one of the most famous women in the world?

I don't really care either way tbh, I just find it an interesting discussion, and it distracts me from the fact my team can't be botherd dying.

18 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yeah, that's fair enough.

I suppose we are effectively trying to establish when someone who is ineligible can become eligible as a pick. Does her fame for raising awareness of the campaign, and her fundraising, exceed her initial fame for being ill, or does it permanently exclude her? Would, for example, Doreen Lawrence be eligible, if effectively she was famous for being the mother of a victim of a heinous crime? And was Chooky Embra himself actually eligible, given he was basically famous for being married to one of the most famous women in the world?

I don't really care either way tbh, I just find it an interesting discussion, and it distracts me from the fact my team can't be botherd dying.

Here you, it's bad enough that I have admitted that I'm not getting points for my Captain this year, stop trying to get points deducted for my VC last year.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

Of course you would. We'd ALL be happy to submit alternative picks in the middle of May. It's obviously not fair on the rest of us who didn't try to sneakily slip invalid picks past Miguel in the first place. Surely the issue is whether or not to void the pick leaving you with nul points even if she dies, and I wouldn't be surprised if you shouted at Miguel in those circumstances.

Sneakily slip invalid picks? She'd had extensive media coverage for months. And a lot of picks are, naturally, invalids. ;)

I'll keep my current number of points whatever happens and will accept Miguel's decision. 

It's you, however, who has nul points. You're obviously very bitter that your Aim Here, so far, has been off target . 😂