**The Official P&B Christmas 2021 Thread**

Wee-Bey

Schools have broken up and I've taken next week off, so Famille Duszek are now on holiday. Plan to spend my time drinking red wine, reading, getting some fresh air, and catching up with the Grove Street OGs. 

image.jpeg.43e71061ed5828d26375209b1a9e0cc6.jpeg

Christmas is 22nd - 24th for me.

I'm off and the missus is working so I'll be in the house with the fire on watching films, drinking whisky and inhaling cheese until about 2 or 3 when I'll nip down to the pub.

She finished up 5pm on as eve so will join me in the pub and then really it's all downhill from there.

Xmas day to New Year are a series of obligations made survivable by drink although if God preserves us and we get a full on drinking and attendable boxing day game that will be good.

So far lined up for my viewing pleasure are the porridge Xmas Specials and film, the MR James Ghost Stories, a Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett one) marathon, Edward Scissorhands, National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation, Scrooged, Trading Places and Get Back. 

The great thing about Netflix/YouTube is never having to consume any media produced after 1990

I spotted "The Box of Delights" DVD in Tesco and thought that will do for me for Christmas.

I had to pass the blanket "Check 25" requirement to buy a DVD of a series I watched on TV when I was 12. Guess us 80s kids were hard enough not to be scared by primitive BBC TV effects back then.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I spotted "The Box of Delights" DVD in Tesco and thought that will do for me for Christmas.

I had to pass the blanket "Check 25" requirement to buy a DVD of a series I watched on TV when I was 12. Guess us 80s kids were hard enough not to be scared by primitive BBC TV effects back then.

Grow a beard, Tam. I don't think I've been age checked for anything since I was 12.

I understand that heavy smoking adds years to the face too, but takes a bit longer to kick in. And kills you earlier too, obviously. Swings and roundabouts.

Fighting it out for Christmas number 1 this year is -

Lad baby ft Elton John and Ed Sheeran - Sausage rolls for everyone

Elton John & Ed Sheeran - Merry Christmas

Kunt and the gang - Boris Johnson is still a fucking c**t.

I heard Baby It's Cold Outside at the weekend - the lyrics of that song are abysmal. Amazed it hasn't been punted by radio stations. 

Essentially the story of a predatory man who coerces an impressionable young woman into staying the night with him and cutting her off from her family. He even spikes her drink and makes her go all woozy. 

I heard Baby It's Cold Outside at the weekend - the lyrics of that song are abysmal. Amazed it hasn't been punted by radio stations. 
Essentially the story of a predatory man who coerces an impressionable young woman into staying the night with him and cutting her off from her family. He even spikes her drink and makes her go all woozy. 
Yeah its rapey as f**k tbh.

24 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

He does at least give her a shot of his comb tbf

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I read an interesting argument against this particular reading of the song

The argument is that this isn't a song about a woman staying against her will. Back then it was inconceivable and unforgivable for women to want sex and to say an absolute yes to it. It made her wanton, a tramp and a slut. The song is about a woman who wants to say yes, but needs to find an excuse to stay that doesn't involve her having to confessing to wanting it. They end up singing gleefully in harmony by the end of it as they have mutually found the perfect excuse for her to stay.

So this says that it's less about coercion and more about empowerment against the patriarchal society that denies a woman a right to sexual agency.

I always assumed that was the reading of that song. Problem is, there are apparently men who would read it as coercion and think that's OK. It appears there are a lot of them out there, and they don't need support.

Quite like the version Tom Jones and the Catatonia lassie (whose name I always remember as Nerys Hughes) did, but no doubt someone will link to the "fixed" version that some roasters released a few years ago. Just dreadful.