Motherwell v St. Johnstone - 18th December 2021

We've come through a difficult run of fixtures with wins over Aberdeen, Hearts & Dundee Utd, along with taking a point at Easter Road.  This is the beginning of a little run of fixtures against teams in the bottom half.  If we have any ambition of going for the Top 6 this season, we need a decent run of points from the next few games before the winter break.

In saying that, St. Johnstone coming to Fir Park around Christmas time just gives me flashbacks of Peter McDonald finishing off Jim Gannon with a hat-trick, or Miko Kaven flapping at Roddy Grant heiders.  I doubt we'll be pretty to watch, but if Alexander can pull together one his trademark 1-0 wins with seven at the back for the final 10 minutes, I'd happily take it. 

What's went wrong in Perth this season?  Has the loss of Kerr & McCann affected the whole set-up of the team?

Any news on a returning centre-half or two?  Not that Jake Carroll done a lot wrong at Celtic Park, tbf.  

1-0 Motherwell. 

We manage 1 shot from inside Motherwells box all game, a header from a CB after a corner, but Davidson is "delighted" with the performance and claims we're getting back to normal because the front three, who between them neither had a chance nor created one, ran about a lot.

Wholesale change or just change the personnel within the system? The argument for the former is growing by the week, but I suspect it'll be more of the latter.

I'd be tempted to go:

Clark

Rooney Gordon McCart Devine

Viv Bryson Butterfield Middleton

May Vertainen

At least try to make it about us going forward one way or another.

Alternatively:

Clark

Brown Gordon McCart

Rooney Bryson Craig Devine

Butterfield

Viv/Vertainen May

Get more attacking players on the park and give Rooney/Devine the instruction to get forward at every opportunity.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

What's went wrong in Perth this season?  Has the loss of Kerr & McCann affected the whole set-up of the team?

Yes. That's it basically. They were both a huge part of the formation, shape and playing style. They could both also chip in with vital goals. 

And their "replacements" have been utterly dire. 

And something appears to have shattered McCarts confidence.

Whatever you can say about this Motherwell team, we almost always score (which has been a feature since Alexander came in) - so given Saints' problems up front, we should be confident of taking something if things continue as they have been.

My main concern is coming off a run of 6 or 7 fixtures where we've been the underdog in almost every one to the shift where expectations become "these are the types of games we should be winning" - the booting we took off Dundee recently should teach us all the lessons we need in that respect.

Also - I've got a horrible paranoia that we'll be back to geisterspiele before the winter break given the Covid situation, so I'll be making the most of the chance of being at a game (LFT allowing)..

16 minutes ago, Swello said:

Whatever you can say about this Motherwell team, we almost always score (which has been a feature since Alexander came in) - so given Saints' problems up front, we should be confident of taking something if things continue as they have been.

My main concern is coming off a run of 6 or 7 fixtures where we've been the underdog in almost every one to the shift where expectations become "these are the types of games we should be winning" - the booting we took off Dundee recently should teach us all the lessons we need in that respect.

Also - I've got a horrible paranoia that we'll be back to geisterspiele before the winter break given the Covid situation, so I'll be making the most of the chance of being at a game (LFT allowing)..

Aye, our home form is actually alright. The 3 we've lost were against Hibs in the first game of the season then Celtic and Rangers. Even the draw was potentially heading for a win before Bobby Madden decided to get involved.

The only home game we've failed to score in this season has been against Celtic.

Spoiler

2141046273_ScreenShot2021-12-16at13_58_42.thumb.png.a3eea32924aa480148e30bf4d353a457.png

With the sort of form Saints have been in this definitely feels like one of those games we've seen where we f**k it and complacency is an issue. However given the nuclear level rage from Alexander after the Dundee game you'd like to think that is still fresh in the mind.

As @Desp says this wee run of fixtures up to New Year feels like it has the potential to define the direction of travel for our season.

Edited by capt_oats

We went to Fir park 4-5 years ago in dreadful form, the first season of Drey, Kennedy and Watt. A very late Kerr header gave us the 1-0 win and launched a charge upto third equal come the winter break.  I don’t think we’re heading for third equal this time round, but the same result after an equally uninspiring match would do fine right now.

Last visit there motherwell were in comedy form, Guy Melamed scored twice in a 3-0 win going on 6-0.  Look how the fortunes have turned. 

25 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

We went to Fir park 4-5 years ago in dreadful form, the first season of Drey, Kennedy and Watt. A very late Kerr header gave us the 1-0 win and launched a charge upto third equal come the winter break. 

We'd lost 3 of our last 5 games and sat 8th...

33 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

We went to Fir park 4-5 years ago in dreadful form, the first season of Drey, Kennedy and Watt. A very late Kerr header gave us the 1-0 win and launched a charge upto third equal come the winter break.  I don’t think we’re heading for third equal this time round, but the same result after an equally uninspiring match would do fine right now.

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We'd lost 3 of our last 5 games and sat 8th...

We’d been beaten 5-1 at ibrox, knocked out the league cup by Celtic, lost at Tynecastle, and got beaten 6-0 at home by Celtic in the previous 4 fixtures. 

One clean sheet in 8 league matches  upto that point, our defence had been a bit of a shambles over the previous weeks.

Wright completely changed the formation for the match, going with a back 3 I’m fairly sure, not sure if he’d used it previously that season, and Drey Wright as an attacking central midfielder for the later stages.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

We’d been beaten 5-1 at ibrox, knocked out the league cup by Celtic, lost at Tynecastle, and got beaten 6-0 at home by Celtic in the previous 4 fixtures. 

One clean sheet in 8 league matches  upto that point, our defence had been a bit of a shambles over the previous weeks.

Wright completely changed the formation for the match, going with a back 3 I’m fairly sure, not sure if he’d used it previously that season, and Drey Wright as an attacking central midfielder for the later stages.

Aye I was just being a dick tbh.

6 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Yes. That's it basically. They were both a huge part of the formation, shape and playing style.

Just for context, our league record this season before the loss of McCann and Kerr:

P4 W0 D3 L1 Points 3

Also failed to win in any of our European games, and only beat Arbroath in the League Cup on penalties.

Or put another way, We'd played nine games and failed to win any in 90 minutes. 

Edited by Mr Heliums

5 hours ago, Swello said:

I just want to say thank for introducing me to the word geisterspiele. 

3-0 home win. Watt hat-trick, obviously. 

Also, I just went online to buy my ticket for the game and was pleased that I had an excellent choice in where to sit. Out of curiosity, when did Fir Park last see a double-digit away support?