WWE PPV Thread

FifeArab

The McAfee spot was just weird. He's someone that has been always been portrayed as a good wrestler and unafraid to step into the ring. Instead they wasted a spot and he was suddenly a cowardly heel for about 40 seconds. His commentary was also a bit clueless, as he obviously watches zero WWE when he isn't there.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The McAfee spot was just weird. He's someone that has been always been portrayed as a good wrestler and unafraid to step into the ring. Instead they wasted a spot and he was suddenly a cowardly heel for about 40 seconds. His commentary was also a bit clueless, as he obviously watches zero WWE when he isn't there.

McAfee saying he didn't get the heads up he was going in until his number was called and I find that absolutely mental if a spot in the Rumble, particualrly in the 20s, was reserved purely as a rib.

Was it the Lesnar spot and they decided 'f**k it, let's make it awkward'?

It definitely did look like McAfee had no idea he was going in.  I'm not sure he's that good an actor.  

I did wonder whether Brock was supposed to go in there given how late it was (usually all the spots like that are done and dusted by the time you get to the latter stages), but it makes sense if Bron was brought up to basically be Brock lite and destroy everyone.  Even that final spot post-elimination seemed very Lesnar

3 hours ago, forameus said:

Yeah, that was a disappointing show all round.  Women's Rumble probably edges it for the best, but even that wasn't exactly mind-blowing.  One thing I will give them credit for now though, that's the first women's Rumble they've had where they haven't had to delve down into the depths to try and make up 30 entrants.  Comfortably filled out the field with decent talent and had a fair few left over.  Definitely needed that one more big surprise towards the tail-end to really elevate, but they all did a good job, and Bailey winning is absolutely the right decision.  

Four-way match was...there, I guess.  Everyone gets their shit in and Reigns comes out on top.  Shock.  The complete lack of any further intrigue beyond that just continues to highlight how his run is being so badly handled.  That was one of the cleaner wins in memory (although to be honest, maybe there was interference and I've forgotten about it already because it was all so tedious) but for all their talk of how dominant he is, every single match is the same.  They really need to write themselves an ending very soon.

US Title match...again, it's fine.  I can't fucking stand Logan Paul.  He's clearly very, very good at this, but that's not going to change the fact that he's an odious little c**t.  At least they're presenting him as such.  Quite liked the booking of the ending so credit to them for that.  Assume it's now a repeat at WM (or probably EC) with some kind of stipulation.

Men's Rumble was probably the most disappointing.  Not bad by any means, but that's almost worse for them.  2015 is probably one of the worst of all time, but it's watchable because of it.  This one is just background noise, and I'm struggling to really remember anything really good coming out of it.  Apart from R Truth, who, as someone else said, was the best part of two Rumble matches and the pre-show, and deserves at least an hour set aside for him  on every show. Was quite surprised Rhodes won, although I think it is the right decision, and an exciting closing sequence.  But it doesn't make up for the rest of it being so boring.

Did you somehow miss Solo Sikoa spiking everyone in the title match?! They're in a holding pattern with Reigns until Cody beats him at Mania, and pretty have been since last year's Mania. Unfortunately they long ago ran of creative ideas to have him retain. Will be a relief when he loses the title and go do something else.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, forameus said:

It definitely did look like McAfee had no idea he was going in.  I'm not sure he's that good an actor.  

I did wonder whether Brock was supposed to go in there given how late it was (usually all the spots like that are done and dusted by the time you get to the latter stages), but it makes sense if Bron was brought up to basically be Brock lite and destroy everyone.  Even that final spot post-elimination seemed very Lesnar

The usual ‘news’ sources are saying Breakker took Lesnar’s spot to the button even including getting dumped out by Dom as that was to lead to a Brock v Dom squash at EC which now isn’t going ahead. Imagine Breakker was always getting a spot anyway so they used McAfee for the empty one but it could have been done better or just given to a legend for a pop, DDP was literally in the building for example.

Watched the Rumble after not tuning in to the graps for a while and there was nothing really to make me want to stay tuned in until mania.  The Reigns title run is beyond boring now with every match following the same shenanigans pattern however does anyone really care if Cody dethrones him this time? The sparkle is gone now after last year when it was literally the perfect story for him to win then,

39 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Did you somehow miss Solo Sikoa spiking everyone in the title match?! They're in a holding pattern with Reigns until Cody beats him at Mania, and pretty have been since last year's Mania. Unfortunately they long ago ran of creative ideas to have him retain. Will be a relief when he loses the title and go do something else.

I didn't, but such was how boring the match was, it had completely slipped my mind.  His matches are just background noise now.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Reigns retains at WM.  Absolutely the wrong decision, but could still see it.

22 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The usual ‘news’ sources are saying Breakker took Lesnar’s spot to the button even including getting dumped out by Dom as that was to lead to a Brock v Dom squash at EC which now isn’t going ahead. Imagine Breakker was always getting a spot anyway so they used McAfee for the empty one but it could have been done better or just given to a legend for a pop, DDP was literally in the building for example.

Yeah, that does seem to be the case now.  To be honest, one of the better decisions they've made.  Lesnar - at least at the moment - is radioactive and unlikely to appear for a while, if at all, so if you don't want to rebook the entire match for someone else, having someone like Bron come in is probably as seamless as you could make it.  And if that means Bron goes up against Dom in Australia, then maybe this could end up being a Kingston style situation when he was never meant to be there.  Good for him. 

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

McAfee saying he didn't get the heads up he was going in until his number was called and I find that absolutely mental if a spot in the Rumble, particualrly in the 20s, was reserved purely as a rib.

Was it the Lesnar spot and they decided 'f**k it, let's make it awkward'?

McAfee was basically Drew Carey, which is mental, given how good he has looked before. Why not send out someone from NXT if it's just going to be a job/comedy spot?

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, TheGoon said:

What a circus. Makes no sense and Rollins looked like a complete loser, still none the wiser of what the actual match is. Very odd.

Starting to think Rock and Cody are in it together to get Roman wound up. 

None of it makes any sense what so ever but it’s enjoyable chaos. I get the impression they don’t quite know themselves what to do with it at this point. There’s a lot of star power there though so looking forward to whatever iteration it is.   

The Rock was fucking fantastic there. Never thought he had it in him to gain heat again. Thought he, Taker and Austin were the three untouchables but that was immense work.

We've now got hints at a tag team match at Elminination Chamber. Potential 4 way matches.

Kept the tension building. They've worked with this shitshow and turned it into gold. Fair play.

I tried to find out what happened via Bleacher Report like I usually do with Raw/Smackdown, but they seem to be as confused as anyone. I gather it's now probably Rhodes vs Reigns, but Rock slapped Rhodes for mentioning family?

EDIT: Found a better rundown of it, and now looks like I'll need to seek out the video.  The b*****ds seem like they've done it and pulled it off, so far at least.  Well, unless you're Seth Rollins.  Starting to feel really sorry for him basically getting shat on by everyone around.  Half expecting HHH to kneel behind him so someone can push him over.

Edited by forameus