African Nations Cup - Cameroon 2021 (2022)

HibeeJibee

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Beggars belief you can have a problem arise on 40mins and/or 85mins that leads to play being stopped and restarted in a stadium full of CAF officials - but no other person then keeps ref right?

Suspect that this is one of these occasions where "outside" officials aren't allowed to intervene. The referee probably has ultimate responsibility for the timing. 

14 hours ago, Squonk said:

While there have been occasional flashes of exciting play, I'm afraid the thing that sticks in my mind about the four or five games I've watched so far is the constant cheating on show. Players seem to have been coached in the dark art of simulation, with many flinging themselves to the ground as if shot, holding random parts of their anatomy after an opponent has had the audacity to occupy the same postcode as them, and despite replays showing little or no contact.

I had intended watching a fair bit of the tournament, but I'm having second thoughts now. Also, although there has been some entertaining play, the standard of the crucial final ball, and particularly the shooting is abject, to say the least. 

It hasn't been great, tbf.

That's about what I'd have guessed from the opening games. Burkina Faso just a bit better than Cape Verde, and have looked a bit more likely to score so far in the tournament. They'll be doing well to make it to the quarter-finals, however.

6 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

So you got lost in the post then?

I’ll get my coat.

I prefer to think that I turned the TV off 90 minutes early due to heatstroke.

Sorry, 89 minutes and 45 seconds early.

Morocco 1 Comoros Islands 0. Not a great game. Morocco should have been 3 up, twice they had an unmarked man in the box right in front of goal, but the player with the ball elected to shoot rather than pass.

I suppose I'll have to stick with this game, despite the other match having 2 goals already.

Only caught the last fifteen minutes, but I take it Morocco v Comoros was as one-sided as it looked.

Looking at the world rankings, that would've been the rough equivalent of Poland or Austria against Latvia, so unsurprising. Useful as a rough guide for those of us with no idea how good/bad the African nations are these days.

Edit: I was bored, so here's a list of the countries at the tournament, with the closest European nation to them in the rankings. Hardly a great meter, but should give an indication of the gulf in quality between some teams.

Cameroon (Eire)
Algeria (Poland/Austria)
Senegal (Wales)
Tunisia (Austria)
Nigeria (Turkey)
Morocco (Poland)
Egypt (Romania)
Ghana (Northern Ireland)
Mali (Northern Ireland)
Ivory Coast (Greece)
Guinea (Israel)
Burkina Faso (Bosnia & Herzegovina)
Cape Verde (Montenegro)
Gabon (Armenia)
Mauritania (Cyprus)
Zimbabwe (Azerbaijan)
Guinea-Bissau (Estonia)
Sierra Leone (Estonia)
Sudan (Faeroe Islands)
Malawi (Latvia)
Comoros (Latvia)
Equatorial Guinea (Kosovo)
Ethiopia (Lithuania)
Gambia (Andorra)

Edited by BFTD

Only caught the last fifteen minutes, but I take it Morocco v Comoros was as one-sided as it looked.
Looking at the world rankings, that would've been the rough equivalent of Poland or Austria against Latvia, so unsurprising. Useful as a rough guide for those of us with no idea how good/bad the African nations are these days.
Edit: I was bored, so here's a list of the countries at the tournament, with the closest European nation to them in the rankings. Hardly a great meter, but should give an indication of the gulf in quality between some teams.
Cameroon (Eire)
Algeria (Poland/Austria)
Senegal (Wales)
Tunisia (Austria)
Nigeria (Turkey)
Morocco (Poland)
Egypt (Romania)
Ghana (Northern Ireland)
Mali (Northern Ireland)
Ivory Coast (Greece)
Guinea (Israel)
Burkina Faso (Bosnia & Herzegovina)
Cape Verde (Montenegro)
Gabon (Armenia)
Mauritania (Cyprus)
Zimbabwe (Azerbaijan)
Guinea-Bissau (Estonia)
Sierra Leone (Estonia)
Sudan (Faeroe Islands)
Malawi (Latvia)
Comoros (Latvia)
Equatorial Guinea (Kosovo)
Ethiopia (Lithuania)
Gambia (Andorra)
Slightly disappointed that Scotland didn't qualify for the AFCON

17 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Slightly disappointed that Scotland didn't qualify for the AFCON

Bit of a shiter isn't it, considering the highest-ranked country are considered roughly on-par with Wales. Surely, surely, we'd have a chance of winning this at the moment.

The closest African nation to us in the rankings is currently Nigeria, which sounds reasonable.

What a fucking goal for Ghana.

Plenty of space for Ayew to line it up, but still a tremendous strike.

Edit: cranial detachment at the end of Ghana v Gabon, after a late Gabonese equaliser. f**k knows what's happened, but looks like one of the Gabon players has been battered.

Edit 2: one of Ghana's players threw a punch in a post-match scrum, then legged it to the dressing room to avoid the inevitable red. The ref was furious and insisted Ghana bring their boy back out to face the music on the pitch, but it seems the culprit was too much of a shitebag. He'll be getting carded anyway.

Pretty even game regardless, with Gabon looking pretty much the equal of their more illustrious opponents, but they didn't have the cutting edge up front. That said, it's not like Ghana were banging them in tonight. Both goals very well taken, with Allevinah's equalising finish being very impressive under pressure.

Decent game, but plagued by niggly fouls and stoppages that stopped the action from really heating up.

Edit 3: Benjamin Tetteh punched Aaron Boupendza of Gabon as the latter tried to break up the scrum, and Asamoah Gyan's on TV giving it, "Tetteh just punched him because Boupendza gave him a fright"  :lol:

Edited by BFTD