No BBC license fee from 2027

Lofarl

Clearly the motivations for this move are questionable, but tbh I do think the current BBC funding arrangements are an anachronism. 

It is not appropriate imo to have a system where people can be imprisoned for not paying for what is effectively an entertainment service that they don’t need or want.

Yes, there is an argument that the BBC’s public service output should be protected and funded through other means.

But I can’t see a valid argument for compelling people to pay for  Bargain Hunt or Strictly come dancing that they don’t want- that’s equivalent to Amazon Prime charging a fee to watch Netflix.

16 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Clearly the motivations for this move are questionable, but tbh I do think the current BBC funding arrangements are an anachronism. 

It is not appropriate imo to have a system where people can be imprisoned for not paying for what is effectively an entertainment service that they don’t need or want.

Yes, there is an argument that the BBC’s public service output should be protected and funded through other means.

But I can’t see a valid argument for compelling people to pay for  Bargain Hunt or Strictly come dancing that they don’t want- that’s equivalent to Amazon Prime charging a fee to watch Netflix.

Seriously, how many people are ended up in prison for not paying the TV License?

What other means could you fund a public service if not through the public?

A quick look and it appears Bargain Hunt is actually pretty popular 

Click

Bargain Hunt drew more viewers on Thursday than BBC2’s acclaimed drama Peaky Blinders. And it was a repeat.”

Thursday’s repeat fronted by former presenter Tim Wonnacott, in which two teams picked through an antiques fair in Hexham, Northumberland, attracted 1.7 million viewers, a 32% share, at 12.15pm.

You also have this story from last month 

THE BBC has won a ratings battle against ITV despite viewers' plans to boycott the broadcaster.

Strictly Come Dancing, Mrs Brown’s Boys, Call the Midwife done better than any of its competition

Now you might think it’s shite but it’s very disingenuous to suggest these shows are not popular 

The likes of Netflix and Amazon don’t have to provide a public service remember 

The BBC provides a lot of content for the education system also

We all know exactly what the motivations are behind this and it’s not because they think it’s in the best interest of the public 

Edited by Clown Job

16 minutes ago, red23 said:

Which one is your fav? I'll go for Dave and the depressed TV. 

For me it's the family who got fined, could no longer afford to go to Spain and had to staycation in 1970s / 1980s Britain.

1339905327_Screenshot_20220116-1654382.thumb.png.5213ca6085e1a0c8b2139e3462f78007.png

Kind of torn on this.
You do get a lot of value for it, but at the same time I had to listen to them wanking off the England national side for the whole of last summer and pay for that privilege.

Get it in the bin.

4 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Explain to me why I should pay money for content that I barely ever watch? I literally only watch Sportscene and live Scottish games. I use the internet services, but could easily find an alternative.

I don’t think you understand what a public service it 

Why should I pay toward the fire service when I’ve never had to use them?

Its not all about you 

45 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The argument is that the BBC provides a public service. Netflix doesn't. 

I don't think the current BBC does the public service bit very well and does probably compete too much with commercial channels. But that doesn't change the theory. 

If the license fee is going then i'd prefer funding to be from general tax. I don't think the licence fee has really protected the beeb from government interference, which is the main argument against tax funding. 

No, that's the equivalent of Netflix or Amazon Prime charging you but you only watch some of their programmes. Which is what happens.

They are going to switch to funding it via a tax on broadband connections. Too many people now refuse to pay the license fee. 

There is no chance that the Tory Party and the UK state are going to give up their number one propaganda outlet. 

I say shut it all down.

Edited by Detournement

If only the BBC hadn't spent the last however many years pissing off every constituent that wants to support it to please a bunch of ghouls who've been desperate to decimate it.

Edited by NotThePars

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They are going to switch to funding it via a tax on broadband connections. Too many people now refuse to pay the license fee. 

There is no chance that the Tory Party and the UK state are going to give up their number one propaganda outlet. 

I say shut it all down.

Bit capitalist m8.

33 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

If you don't pay your TV licence your a Tory who steals eggs from honesty boxes at the end of peoples driveways according to some utter tubestakes on here.

Your pretty much on level with a pedophile. 

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

It certainly needs reforming and has plenty scope for developing its own private revenue streams, which the Government has been blocking because Murdoch told them it would be unfair competition, but I don't think giving corporate America a monopoly over the airwaves and broadband would be an improvement.

Edited by welshbairn