The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

28 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I dont think the legal outcome is as cut and dried as some think...........however I will hazard a guess that Joanna Cherrys starring roles on stage have come to an abrupt end as nobody in their right mind is going to book her now.

It is cut and dry. It's no coincidence that the KC opinion Cherry has sought is from O'Neill. Who represented Graham in the case against the SEC. This won't make it to court though as the Stand will settle it rather than lose and have to pay costs as well.

This is unlawful discrimination on the Stand's part. There is no mitigation irrespective of what their staff think. The principle is the same as if this was a Trans comic whose event had been cancelled. Or a bartender refusing to serve a gay person because of their sexual orientation. It is still discrimination in the eyes of the law. All of these are protected chatacteristics under the EA. 

This really isn't as difficult (from a legal stand point) as those who despise JC are making it out.

Edited by Trogdor

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It is cut and dry. It's no coincidence that the KC opinion Cherry has sought is from O'Neill. Who represented Graham in the case against the SEC. This won't make it to court though as the Stand will settle it rather than lose and have to pay costs as well.

This is unlawful discrimination on the Stand's part. There is no mitigation irrespective of what their staff think. The principle is the same as if this was a Trans comic whose event had been cancelled. Or a bartender refusing to serve a gay person because of their sexual orientation. It is still discrimination in the eyes of the law. All of these are protected chatacteristics under the EA. 

This really isn't as difficult as those who despise JC are making it out.

She said shes been cancelled because she is a lesbian. 

Was she?

10 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The legal outcome is now irrelevant.  The fun part is the political outcome.

What we're seeing is the fragmentation - the balkanisation - of the tawdry Nat movement.  And you, yourself, are complicit here with your castigation of the estimable Fergus Ewing.

You Nats are now in a fight for The Right Sort of Scot.

Come on man, frankly I dont know the legal answer here (it seems a bit boring tbh) but you are never getting any traction with that "balkanisation" bollocks you keep spouting........

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Come on man, frankly I dont know the legal answer here (it seems a bit boring tbh) but you are never getting any traction with that "balkanisation" bollocks you keep spouting........

Except that is exactly what is happening.  You can even see it beginning to develop on this thread.

The whole Cherry vs Sheppard debate is entirely about the right or wrong sort of Nat.

Since Sturgeon resigned - all the legal issues of the SNP aside - it's all been about the right or wrong sort of JockNat.

Not that I have any issue with you hating each other to death.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

An attention-getter doesn't mean an attention-grabber.  That much is obvious.

If this was the case she would have left the SNP already.

She's a litigious, tedious bore who loves the sound of her own voice. 

23 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

She said shes been cancelled because she is a lesbian. 

Was she?

Thats not her position legally. I can understand that's how she frames it though for maximum sympathy/exposure. That goes back to the self publicising I referred to before.

Her legal argument is that she has been discriminated against because of her beliefs. IE - That biological sex is immutable. These beliefs are protected under the EA. 

You can read her legal position in the tweet she put out. The letter from her solicitor even includes the KC opinion. I'd advise reading it before bed as it's a bit dry. Edit - The KC opinion is here, it weighs in at 52 pages. https://t.co/ZwKVNLA47Q

I'm no apologist for JC but the law is the law and the Stand's action is unlawful.

Edited by Trogdor

4 minutes ago, Marlo Stanfield said:

If this was the case she would have left the SNP already.

She's a litigious, tedious bore who loves the sound of her own voice. 

Thanks, buddy.  The more fissures - 'not my sort of Jock' - we get in the nasty Nat movement the better.

Hoping we get a poster or two on here to describe her as a 'bitter old TERF' or somesuch.  We know how much you Nats love your ignorant invectives.

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Thanks, buddy.  The more fissures - 'not my sort of Jock' - we get in the nasty Nat movement the better.

The idea that a broad movement consisting of many thousands of people has different factions and views on certain issues is not a new one m74.

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Hoping we get a poster or two on here to describe her as a 'bitter old TERF' or somesuch.  We know how much you Nats love your ignorant invectives.

The only rabid nationalist firing out hate speech seems to be you. 

44 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The legal outcome is now irrelevant.  The fun part is the political outcome.

What we're seeing is the fragmentation - the balkanisation - of the tawdry Nat movement.  And you, yourself, are complicit here with your castigation of the estimable Fergus Ewing.

You Nats are now in a fight for The Right Sort of Scot.

‘Hic

19 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Thats not her position legally. I can understand that's how she frames it though for maximum sympathy/exposure. That goes back to the self publicising I referred to before.

Her legal argument is that she has been discriminated against because of her beliefs. IE - That biological sex is immutable. These beliefs are protected under the EA. 

You can read her legal position in the tweet she put out. The letter from her solicitor even includes the KC opinion. I'd advise reading it before bed as it's a bit dry. Edit - The KC opinion is here, it weighs in at 52 pages. https://t.co/ZwKVNLA47Q

I'm no apologist for JC but the law is the law and the Stand's action is unlawful.

A KC’s opinion is just that - it is an opinion.  Not the law.

Don’t get confused. 

18 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

No wonder Kinky relates to her so much.

Says the daft wee man who said of JC's canceling, "there are literally no legal consequences'.

13 minutes ago, Marlo Stanfield said:

The idea that a broad movement consisting of many thousands of people has different factions and views on certain issues is not a new one m74.

Absolutely.  Broad movements have their issues.  It's one reason I stopped my Tory subscription.  I didn't feel that, as a one-nation, pro-EU supporter, I was well represented.  I'm now happy to sit on the fence and choose according to who represents my constituency or ward best.

Your problem is that ScotchNattery is as narrow a movement as narrow can get with one single aim:  to partition Britain.  Yet you can't even aim at that without hating each other.  You have fucked this up massively.

But then if you're all about division and hate then no wonder you hate each other.  That's the sort of person who is attracted to this movement.

How fucked in the head do you have to be to argue with each other about how Scotch you are?

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Your problem is that ScotchNattery is as narrow a movement as narrow can get with one single aim:  to partition Britain.  Yet you can't even aim at that without hating each other.  You have fucked this up massively.

But then if you're all about division and hate then no wonder you hate each other.  That's the sort of person who is attracted to this movement.

You mean just like the grievance-mongering, hate-filled, divisive UK in its approach to the EU and its ongoing partitioning of Ireland?

30 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Except that is exactly what is happening.  You can even see it beginning to develop on this thread.

The whole Cherry vs Sheppard debate is entirely about the right or wrong sort of Nat.

Since Sturgeon resigned - all the legal issues of the SNP aside - it's all been about the right or wrong sort of JockNat.

Not that I have any issue with you hating each other to death.

Good grief. In a fairly strong field, that's one of the worst yet! 😂

6 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

A KC’s opinion is just that - it is an opinion.  Not the law.

Don’t get confused. 

Talk about twisting my words. That is either a very disingenuous interpretation of my post or you are the confused one.🤦‍♂️

Edited by Trogdor

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Talk about twisting my words. That is either a very disingenuous interpretation of my post or you are the confused one.🤦‍♂️

You said “the law is the law”, immediately after inviting us to read a KC’s opinion.  Not sure how it is disingenuous?  Happy for you to explain though.

Just now, Wee Bully said:

You said “the law is the law”, immediately after inviting us to read a KC’s opinion.  Not sure how it is disingenuous?  Happy for you to explain though.

Thanks for clarifying that I didn't actually say that a KC's opinion was the law. Maybe edit your post?

Just now, Trogdor said:

Thanks for clarifying that I didn't actually say that a KC's opinion was the law. Maybe edit your post?

Eh, naw.  That’s exactly what you said.  Maybe read your post again, or if you still think i am misinterpreting it, tell us what you actually meant.