Aberdeen 1 (dodgy penalty) St Johnstone 1

13 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Aye, it would’ve been 2-1 to Aberdeen as he bottled giving the penalty on Ferguson.

And 4 minutes injury time? Pffft… try at least 6. 
Loads of subs, Santa players killing the game feigning injury & general time wasting. 

Aye, I'm sure we were feigning injury and time wasting in a must-win game against a team who didn't need the victory as much as we did. Honestly, the thickness and delusion of football fans is baffling at times.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I said we were easily the better team.

Presumably because you believe that the only team trying to win a game or "play well" is the one with 90% possession?

Aberdeens game plan was passing the ball about and putting crosses in. Saints game plan was sitting deep and countering. One makes you look good, yet only gets you the same amount of points as the other.

Aberdeen looked like the shite versions of Dundee United from years ago. Lots of passing in nothing areas, lots of running about and long range shots, but absolutely nothing dangerous about them. Genuinely didn't have any fears when Aberdeen had the ball during that game as you know nothing is coming from it 90% of the time. We regularly got 1v1 situations wide on counters. Who played their system better?

Edited by RandomGuy.

In the first half I thought St Johnstone doesn't look a team that is bottom of the league. Thought Robson made an error playing Ferguson further forward and wasn't effective as normal along with most of the team.

The 2nd half injuries put us down to 1 Centre half and moved Ferguson in there and what a game he had in the 2nd half. 

Those booing Ferguson can get to f**k, he is a fantastic player and lets enjoy it while he is here.

Looked a bit soft for the pen to be honest.

Did enough to win but again no cutting edge upfront. 

• We're our own worst enemy. Shortly after Hendry scored we set our stall out to defend. And when I say defend, I mean we retreated to the castle and pulled up the drawbridge. Our primary role in the second half, as directed by Davidson, was to make Aberdeen look a lot better than they are. 
  • Middleton and Hendry looked bright upfront. Sadly, the supply/energy from the flanks is lacking so they spent most of their time trying to chase down/regain possession. Cautious Callum, who seems incapable of realising we're in a relegation dogfight not a battle for mid-table medicority, insists on deploying a defender as an attacking wing back, so I don't see this changing any time soon. When the only objective your manager is capable of setting is to emerge from every game with a draw, it's probably time to acknowledge you're relegation fodder. 
  • Our injury list is almost as long as our starting lineup. We can add Clark, Hendry and Booth to an injury list that includes Ciftci, Kane, MacPherson, Wotherspoon, Rooney, Bryson and Kucheriavyi. If Davidson's training sessions are anything like his tactical decisions then they're probably partly to blame for the problem. And this problem will see us relegated. 
  • I know all fans complain about referees, but this is more than that: the club needs to take this down official channels. With competent refereeing we wouldn't be in the relegation zone. The penalty conceded tonight was, like the penalty condeded last week, extremely softhttps://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2998158/eric-nicolson-referees-st-johnstone/ Putting to one side how these penalties changed the flow of each game, if we subtract the penalties conceded from our last two fixtures then we gain 3 points on our present total, move off bottom spot and sit just 4 points behind County.

Actually, if we subtract the handball that immediately preceded Aberdeen's winner in our last game against them, we'd be 3 points behind County. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-glass-admits-aberdeen-winner-25674086

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Presumably because you believe that the only team trying to win a game or "play well" is the one with 90% possession?

Aberdeens game plan was passing the ball about and putting crosses in. Saints game plan was sitting deep and countering. One makes you look good, yet only gets you the same amount of points as the other.

Aberdeen looked like the shite versions of Dundee United from years ago. Lots of passing in nothing areas, lots of running about and long range shots, but absolutely nothing dangerous about them. Genuinely didn't have any fears when Aberdeen had the ball during that game as you know nothing is coming from it 90% of the time. We regularly got 1v1 situations wide on counters. Who played their system better?

You're genuinely happy with your teams performance eh? You'll get the relegation that team deserves.

Long ball to Hendry. Fall down. Long ball to Hendry. Fall down.

At least Tommy used to come with a game plan that wasn't as negative.

You say you were comfortable? Three times the combination of Hayes and MacKenzie fucked a simple pass that would have set the other clear for a cut back. Both your keepers had at least one cracking save.

For all the talk of the Saintees depleted team, you were more negative than an actual depleted Dundee on Boxing Day.

1 minute ago, Sainthearted said:
  • We're our own worst enemy. Shortly after Hendry scored we set our stall out to defend. And when I say defend, I mean we retreated to the castle and pulled up the drawbridge. Our primary role in the second half, as directed by Davidson, was to make Aberdeen look a lot better than they are. 
  • Middleton and Hendry looked bright upfront. Sadly, the supply/energy from the flanks is lacking so they spent most of their time trying to chase down/regain possession. Cautious Callum, who seems incapable of realising we're in a relegation dogfight not a battle for mid-table medicority, insists on deploying a defender as an attacking wing back, so I don't see this changing any time soon. When the only objective your manager is capable of setting is to emerge from every game with a draw, it's probably time to acknowledge you're relegation fodder. 
  • Our injury list is almost as long as our starting lineup. We can add Clark, Hendry and Booth to an injury list that includes Ciftci, Kane, MacPherson, Wotherspoon, Rooney, Bryson and Kucheriavyi. If Davidson's training sessions are anything like his tactical decisions then they're probably partly to blame for the problem. And this problem will see us relegated. 
  • I know all fans complain about referees, but this is more than that: the club needs to take this down official channels. With competent refereeing we wouldn't be in the relegation zone. The penalty conceded tonight was, like the penalty condeded last week, extremely softhttps://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2998158/eric-nicolson-referees-st-johnstone/ Putting to one side how these penalties changed the flow of each game, if we subtract the penalties conceded from our last two fixtures then we gain 3 points on our present total, move off bottom spot and sit just 4 points behind County.

Actually, if we subtract the handball that immediately preceded Aberdeen's winner in our last game against them, we'd be 3 points behind County. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-glass-admits-aberdeen-winner-25674086

I understand that last point but we had horrendous decisions go against us in the recent Livi and Celtic games too. Probably due a bit of luck. Yet to see the penalty decision again.

Just seen the penalty - it should be called what it is - contact outside the box and a dive by the boy wonder in the box. 

If the refs got the big calls right for saints we’d be sitting 8th above Dundee county hibs and Aberdeen - that’s the biggest issue right now is every big decision goes against us.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

You're genuinely happy with your teams performance eh? You'll get the relegation that team deserves.

Long ball to Hendry. Fall down. Long ball to Hendry. Fall down.

At least Tommy used to come with a game plan that wasn't as negative.

You say you were comfortable? Three times the combination of Hayes and MacKenzie fucked a simple pass that would have set the other clear for a cut back. Both your keepers had at least one cracking save.

For all the talk of the Saintees depleted team, you were more negative than an actual depleted Dundee on Boxing Day.

Are you genuinely suggesting we aren’t depleted? 

Rooney, Wotherspoon, Bryson, Ciftci, Kane, McPherson all missing before kick off, with Hendry, Clark and Booth all taken off injured. That’s nine starters.

The idea that we weren’t comfortable because three times you got within two passes of maybe having a chance seems a bit of a stretch too?

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

2 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Aberdeen were the better team, created the better chances, and tried to score more than 1 goal. 

St J got their goal, and reverted to trying to see it out. That's the reality. 

Tell me you don't understand football without telling me you don't understand football.

Theres more than one way to win a football game. Not every single team can spend every single game completely 2000 passes and trying to work their way through sides.

Aberdeen are shite, absolutely fucking woeful, at breaking sides down. Not a single player can play the final pass now Hedges is gone.

Aberdeens full backs are absolutely shite defensively and continuously get caught out of position.

Setting up to sit deep and counter up the channels is a far more likely way for us to get a second goal than opening up and trying to play through you. Its honestly wild how you can't see that? Like it would've worked perfectly if the ref doesn't bottle a simple decision.

Quite why I'm getting told Dundee played so brilliantly and us so shite, when you beat them and could only scab a draw against us, is hilarious though. Proper "I'd rather be relegated playing proper football than win a Cup playing like St Johnstone!!!" vibes lads.

Away from refs/injuries - the best way for Saints to combat these issues would be to actually go and try and kill of a game when we have a lead. Two games in the bounce we’ve been ahead and only taken one point. Two games in a row the game was there to be won and we’ve chosen to sit in and been undone - albeit both times by highly dubious penalties.

Leaving Middleton and Crawford on alongside May and shelling it long for half an hour was criminal. Surely that was exactly the situation Bair - an absolute unit of a guy - was brought in for?

3 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

The idea that we weren’t comfortable because three times you got within two passes of maybe having a chance seems a bit of a stretch too?

Its the whole point as well 😂

Aberdeen regularly give the ball away high up the park while attacking because their players a re shit, so why wouldn't you just keep your shape, wait for the inevitable turnover, and try and exploit it?

They played lots of pretty passes 50 yards from goal though, so well done to Aberdeen on "trying to win the game".

1 minute ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Are you genuinely suggesting we aren’t depleted? 

Rooney, Wotherspoon, Bryson, Ciftci, Kane, McPherson all missing before kick off, with Hendry, Clark and Booth all taken off injured. That’s nine starters.

Look at the squad Dundee had and compare.

I didn't say you weren't comfortable. Saintees struggling with their comprehension skills tonight. It was a turn of phrase in regard to Random saying he didn't have any fear when we had the ball. Gave him three examples of when the pass was poor otherwise we had a fantastic chance to put the ball across for a guilt edged chance. That's before getting in to the actual chances.

2 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

St J simply pander to the lowest common denominator. It worked in their cup wins and was effective in the league last season. You can't play football like that forever and expect consistent results.

Yeah, Aberdeen fans have been telling us that on this site for years, never quite joining the dots that we only play that way against them because it literally works virtually every time. Our record at Pittodrie in the last decade should make you question your own clubs style of play rather than ours.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

It's not rocket science.

Someone should tell Barry Robson then, as if he'd figured out the multiple glaring issues in our system you might have won tonight.

A shame.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tell me you don't understand football without telling me you don't understand football.

Theres more than one way to win a football game. Not every single team can spend every single game completely 2000 passes and trying to work their way through sides.

Aberdeen are shite, absolutely fucking woeful, at breaking sides down. Not a single player can play the final pass now Hedges is gone.

Aberdeens full backs are absolutely shite defensively and continuously get caught out of position.

Setting up to sit deep and counter up the channels is a far more likely way for us to get a second goal than opening up and trying to play through you. Its honestly wild how you can't see that? Like it would've worked perfectly if the ref doesn't bottle a simple decision.

Quite why I'm getting told Dundee played so brilliantly and us so shite, when you beat them and could only scab a draw against us, is hilarious though. Proper "I'd rather be relegated playing proper football than win a Cup playing like St Johnstone!!!" vibes lads.

Hilarious. I didn't say Dundee played brilliantly. I said they weren't as negative as you boys. 

I'm loving this arrogant "I know football better than you" chat. 

Enjoy your night and your relegation 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Look at the squad Dundee had and compare.

I didn't say you weren't comfortable. Saintees struggling with their comprehension skills tonight. It was a turn of phrase in regard to Random saying he didn't have any fear when we had the ball. Gave him three examples of when the pass was poor otherwise we had a fantastic chance to put the ball across for a guilt edged chance. That's before getting in to the actual chances.

Isn’t that the point though? We didn’t have any fear when Aberdeen had the ball because it was evident from early on that the quality of final ball/forward pass wasn’t there?

You'll find no argument from me about our style of play. We’ve been ultra low scorers for two seasons now and the manager doesn’t seem to see it as an issue.

1 minute ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

And if the refs got big calls right for us we wouldn't be sitting 9th. So, I disagree with your oversimplified statement. 

Not seen the penalty back. Like I say it looked like he had two bites at him, and it looked really clumsy. 

I wouldn't be angry about the refs tho. The way you set up is the problem. For f**k sake we had midfielders playing centre half and one of them in particular strolled it.

St J simply pander to the lowest common denominator. It worked in their cup wins and was effective in the league last season. You can't play football like that forever and expect consistent results. You have the right to moan about referees like every non OF fan does. But, they aren't why you're bottom, they aren't why we're 9th either. It's because yous aren't very good. 

Neither are we, should I add. 

We have had a penalty that’s not a penalty tonight, and the handball goal which gave you 3 in Perth.

The penalty last week against St mirren 

Hallberg sending off against utd (which was soft to be very generous)

2 pens away to hibs in 2 separate  games which weren’t plus a sending off of Bryson at home which wasn’t. 

That’s 8 (10 if you say we go on to win) and that’s not including dodgy decisions against st mirren at home and anything against the bigots