Sons vs Cove 29.01.22

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If Duthie figures out how to keep his pants clean when he's in front of goal he'll fire us to safety. He does absolutely everything you want from a winger in this league other than score goals, but he gets chances every week because he does all the right things. Hopefully it'll fall into place for him soon. 

I was just saying this today. If he adds goals he’ll be great. 

If Duthie figures out how to keep his pants clean when he's in front of goal he'll fire us to safety. He does absolutely everything you want from a winger in this league other than score goals, but he gets chances every week because he does all the right things. Hopefully it'll fall into place for him soon. 
Agreed. On every word.

2 hours ago, microdave said:
2 hours ago, O said:
The bottom line is that a point from this game would at 3pm have been deemed as acceptable, so on that basis job well done.  We know however that Cove have much more quality than ourselves, and the truth is that they blew it when they blasted over from four yards at 2-1 up; 3-1 and we were toast.  Some good individual performances from our guys but also some glaring deficiencies like allowing Cove the freedom of the wings, never mind the weekly schizophrenic goalkeeping display.

Tbf, if Conner Duthie didn't have a head shaped like a 50p piece, we'd have been 2-0 up at the break.

Absolutely correct.

Cove were there for the taking especially in the first half.

Thought we were poor in general first half but especially in the final third which we were allowed to get into fairly easily at times.

We had little creativity, slack passes and didn't muster any clear chances. Dumbarton grew into the first half and had a couple of good opportunities. Morgyn susceptible to being flat footed and slow and it certainly looked like he barged the Son player down. No doubt a pen; poor defending. Sons deserved their half time lead.

Second half was all Cove from an attacking sense. Can't remember Sons having an effort on goal or even getting into many promising positions in the final third. Countless long balls blowing out of play down wind. 

As the play was at the other end of the pitch from us I couldn't tell if it was a hand ball or not but from comments here sounds soft. My gut reaction too I must admit although too far away to know with any certainty.

Scully's sitter and Mitch's effort, which was well blocked, were 2 guilt edge chances we failed to take at 2-1 up. We seemed comfortable at that point and looked most likely to score another but the pen in the 85th minute dashed our hopes of 10 straight league wins.

I was right in line with it, although the linesman was within touching distance, and it looked very harsh. Really like to see it again although clearly doesn't make a difference as was given and slotted away by Carsy. Fraser, who I thought was distinctly average today, didn't even have to make the challenge. 

If you don't being your 'A' game you can't complain about dropping points. Draw about fair.

Sons have strengthen with their new additions, look more solid as a unit and should start picking up points after a worrying run prior to January.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Granted I’ll need to see it back, but I’m fairly certain I heard contact for Carlo’s penalty. It was just contact from Carlo on Fyvie...Fair play to them for working themselves into a shoot over the first penalty too, which was quite clearly a spot kick. Morgyn himself barely complained.

I’ve no idea what the rules are with tearing into referees on official websites, but Cove’s media guys might want to tone that down a bit. As someone who has done reports for DFC’s website in the past, there’s not a chance we’d let something like that get published.

Heard contact where I was too.  Penalty or not there is no way Carlo “fell to ground” like they’re implying.  

First penalty was an absolute stonewaller. If Buchanan had done that to a Cove player I’d have been fuming at him. 

There was definitely contact. 100%.
whether it’s a penalty or not can be debated (I mean it was but it’s not of the stonewall variety but it was the correct decision) but it’s embarrassing to lie and say there was no contact and he fell to the floor, as if nobody was around. Amateur stuff

Surprising result.

Cove may be asking themselves can money really buy you happiness. Okay that comments a bit harsh and long sighted, but with such ambition comes the cost and all the more painful if it doesn’t come to fruition. They’re still on track to buy win the league (apologies in advance). 

Surprising result.
Cove may be asking themselves can money really buy you happiness. Okay that comments a bit harsh and long sighted, but with such ambition comes the cost and all the more painful if it doesn’t come to fruition. They’re still on track to buy win the league (apologies in advance). 

How do you think Cove’s budget will compare to Queens Park, Falkirk and Kelty Hearts?

I’d have thought Queens Park might be chucking even more money around!

2 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

How do you think Cove’s budget will compare to Queens Park, Falkirk and Kelty Hearts?

I’d have thought Queens Park might be chucking even more money around!

Aye, right enough, QP will have the biggest budget, probably by far. But then that’s banked cash. Kelty and Cove are probably in the same bracket. Falkirk, not sure if it’s wise to comment on them, they are a big club with big fan base, but have headed in the wrong direction this past several years!

Cove has potential for a bigger fan base, depending how Aberdeen perform.

Kelty, that town is the same size as Brechin, 6000 souls, so must be getting the coin from some place? 

3 hours ago, sonsism said:

That was most entertaining actually.

Cove are a team I want to like but with Hartley at the helm and all the greetin' that goes on it is hard not to dislike them. Seems Hartley has either put his stamp on them or he is just a particularly good match for them. The sense of entitlement and, when things aren't going your way, the moaning and everything... I just can't be bothered with that stuff.

So aye. I've had some sleep. I watched the game loosely on the stream as I was getting sorted and leaving for the wedding I was playing at.

From what I seen we were the better team in the first half for sure. If Duthie would sort his finishing out he'd be our top scorer and POTY shoe in! Everyone really is routing for him!

Ramsbottom can get straight in the bin. He can't adjust his kicking at all and it really handicaps up before we start anything. Add in to that his ridiculous time wasting from the first second every week and the calamitous errors he throws in then I reckon he has easily cost us double figures of points this year.

Also very frustrating to capitulate so quickly yesterday but nice to see us work hard to get back in it and gain a point! We can't have come from behind to gain many points this year??

We are 100% in a better position with the balance of our squad than we were at the end of the year so hopefully we can grind more or those "bonus" points and start beating the teams around us too.

Edited by squeezebox-son