Stagsby’s Staggies v Dunno-Who’s* Dons

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

BucksburnDandy is your typical glass half empty Dons supporter. I could have understood that post last week describing the St Mirren match, which was genuinely awful and shambolic. Last night I thought that we did get the ball forward a lot quicker and there was very little of just knocking the ball about the back four, which happened loads of times last week. Of course we weren’t brilliant last night but the energy was back that was missing last week. We are always a better team with Jonny Hayes in the side and he was getting up and down the park all night. I thought Ferguson was good last night, looking to get on the ball, looking for shooting opportunities and getting stuck into the County midfield. One thing I do agree with him on is Calvin Ramsay. He is excellent going forward but worries me defensively. He cost us the goal last week with his lack of urgency to close down the scorer, and again last night he was at the heart of their goal. Although he did semi-block the cross, it was a half hearted challenge and the ball broke to the centre of the pitch and the guy got his shot away, although that should also have been blocked. Somebody needs to take Ramsay aside and explain that he needs to use his pace in defence as well as going forward.

This is a bit closer to how I saw it, although it's unfair to highlight Ramsay without also highlighting us almost losing a goal due to Hayes being in no man's land in the first half. He was also poor for their goal. 

MacKenzie in at lb, Hayes on the right with Vicente on the left is how I feel we should line up going forward. 

How anyone couldn't have been impressed with what they saw from Vicente is beyond me.

A slight improvement on last Tuesday, but still basically no idea how to create chances. 
A midfield of Brown, Ferg, McGeouch and Ojo is a terrible balance. 
The defence is going to have to be great until the end of the season as there aren’t many goals in that team. 

I'm mostly with BucksburnDandy on last night. I chalk that up as another underwhelming effort. OK, there was some marginal improvements here and there relative to Paisley - we actually managed to squeeze a few shots on target for a change plus we scored a good goal. But for the most part I thought it was another trademark pedestrian and predictable performance. I felt like I was watching a re-run of just about any of our games during that grim run Sept-Nov last year.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

This is a bit closer to how I saw it, although it's unfair to highlight Ramsay without also highlighting us almost losing a goal due to Hayes being in no man's land in the first half. He was also poor for their goal. 

MacKenzie in at lb, Hayes on the right with Vicente on the left is how I feel we should line up going forward. 

How anyone couldn't have been impressed with what they saw from Vicente is beyond me.

Vicente wasn’t in the match as much as I would have liked, but when he was involved he looked more than decent and didn’t put a foot wrong.

BucksburnDandy is your typical glass half empty Dons supporter. I could have understood that post last week describing the St Mirren match, which was genuinely awful and shambolic. Last night I thought that we did get the ball forward a lot quicker and there was very little of just knocking the ball about the back four, which happened loads of times last week. Of course we weren’t brilliant last night but the energy was back that was missing last week. We are always a better team with Jonny Hayes in the side and he was getting up and down the park all night. I thought Ferguson was good last night, looking to get on the ball, looking for shooting opportunities and getting stuck into the County midfield. One thing I do agree with him on is Calvin Ramsay. He is excellent going forward but worries me defensively. He cost us the goal last week with his lack of urgency to close down the scorer, and again last night he was at the heart of their goal. Although he did semi-block the cross, it was a half hearted challenge and the ball broke to the centre of the pitch and the guy got his shot away, although that should also have been blocked. Somebody needs to take Ramsay aside and explain that he needs to use his pace in defence as well as going forward.
Having been busy last Tuesday night, I will bow to your knowledge of last night being an improvement. My view was taken on what I felt was the merits of last night and my viewing of it, where I have to admit I was pretty unimpressed.

Fair comment about me being glass half empty, that part is bang on!

I think it is fair to say the full backs play that way as that is what the management want to play like.

Where I would highlight a deficiency is going a goal up given our away form, that's the point to stay at home a wee bit more and solidify, full backs staying back a bit more etc.

The new lad looked bright and Hayes for me was our best player last night, was like watching the Hayes of old.

8 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I think it is fair to say the full backs play that way as that is what the management want to play like.

Where I would highlight a deficiency is going a goal up given our away form, that's the point to stay at home a wee bit more and solidify, full backs staying back a bit more etc.

The new lad looked bright and Hayes for me was our best player last night, was like watching the Hayes of old.

The Hayes vs Charles-Cook match up was really interesting last night.  Even more so that Hungbo and C-C kept swapping sides, I'm not sure why.  Possibly because C-C looked leggy and I think Hayes had him for pace, whilst Hungbo could match him.  It also opened up space for R-C not to have Hayes on his case.

The Dons have good individual players, I think there is a really decent team there, but doesn't seem to be much communication or fluidity to their play at times -  some misplaced passes and not reading each other as well as they should.  Some cheap turnovers at corners, throw ins and free kicks too.  They just need to click, when they do they will be a match for anyone.

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Agree - early signs look encouraging, but it seemed they had to swap him over, as him and Ramsay together was just too flimsy in a defensive sense and part of the reason for the @rse collapse after scoring.

Lots of skill though and good at taking the ball in tight areas and making something happen.

I think Atlanta could be getting themselves a cracking player there in 2024.