Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Bully Wee Villa

2 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I am pretty hopeful that one or both the curling teams can get a medal. 

The mixed-doubles was a good watch but really looking forward to the real thing.  Eve's rink is off first at 1.05am tomorrow morning.......will give that a miss but may catch Mouatt's first game at 6.015am then a big one for Eve at 12.05pm v Sweden (assuming its still Anna Hasselborg)  It's going to be great viewing for the next ten days.

Whoever made the fixture list for the women's curling has it in for Eve Muirhead. Their first two games are against Switzerland's Silvana Tirinzoni and Sweden's Anna Hasselborg who between them have are the defending olympic champions (Sweden) and have won the last two world championships (Switzerland)

I think you'd take 1-1 in a heartbeat.

Doesn't get much easier with South Korea next. After that you've got two games where GB will be favoured against Denmark and USA before taking on the mighty Canada (Skipped by Jennifer Jones who went a perfect 11-0 to win gold in Sochi) and then Japan who beat Muirhead's team to win bronze last time.

The last two games are against China and "Russia" where you'd back a GB win but 5 of the first 7 are going to be very tough. Really need to win at least 2 of those tough games to get to 6-3 and guarantee a SF spot.

The men start against Italy who they should beat on paper, but as we saw in the mixed doubles, Amos Mosaner is in the form of his life. After that it's USA, Norway and hosts China before they face Denmark and then the Swiss team who ended team GB's hopes in 2018 (Albeit it's a different team GB this time). Two of the last three are against Sweden (five time world champion Niklas Edin, who is looking to finally get a gold medal to go with his 2014 bronze and 2018 silver) and Canada (2006 gold medalist Brad Gushue returns to his second olympics, 16 years later), with a hopefully easier game against SevcoRussia in between.

For Muirhead it's all about not getting too far behind in the round robin and then finishing strong but for Mouat it'll be about getting a fast start so they can afford to drop at least 1 of the two tricky games at the end.

I'll back them to start 5-1 and end up 7-2 for a good spot in the table.

The men start against Italy who they should beat on paper, but as we saw in the mixed doubles, Amos Mosaner is in the form of his life. After that it's USA, Norway and hosts China before they face Denmark and then the Swiss team who ended team GB's hopes in 2018 (Albeit it's a different team GB this time). Two of the last three are against Sweden (five time world champion Niklas Edin, who is looking to finally get a gold medal to go with his 2014 bronze and 2018 silver) and Canada (2006 gold medalist Brad Gushue returns to his second olympics, 16 years later), with a hopefully easier game against SevcoRussia in between.

For Muirhead it's all about not getting too far behind in the round robin and then finishing strong but for Mouat it'll be about getting a fast start so they can afford to drop at least 1 of the two tricky games at the end.

I'll back them to start 5-1 and end up 7-2 for a good spot in the table.
No chance for the women to play their way into the tourney, really need to hit the ground running or they could end up struggling to qualify.

I hope Jen Dodds and Bruce Mouat can get over losing out on a medal in the mixed pairs, the defeat in the playoff could be a big blow to both their confidence.

Definitely one that got away. Controlled the first 7 ends to lead 4-2, but loose stones in every end after that saw it end 5-5, although the Swiss almost gave it away with the last stone. Eve had the hammer at the extra end, but was a foot or so heavy with an open draw for the win.

6-1 is an excellent start....keep this going girls.

I woke at 3am this morning and looked at my phone to see the score in Switzerland match....ended up watching 10th and extra end....really should have won and Eve will have been devastated by her last draw to the button that went too far.....a match that should have been won but keep this up versus Sweden and I am sure the confidence will be high

Must say Steve Cram is a really good presenter.....with every games he is becoming more and more knowledgeable and works realIy well with co-commentators whether Rhona or Jackie (canna really listen to her without thinking about a couple of incredibly boozy nights out I had with her husband in New York about ten years ago......)

I  would imagine many viewers have no idea who Cram is and his history...perhaps believing that he is simply a Curling commentator.

Having slagged them off during Tokyo, BBC coverage has been pretty good so far. They've shown pretty much every medal event, even if it isn't possible to show them all live, obviously. They've also learned from the mistakes of Pyeongchang and not told you who wins events before they've shown them!

Only one for me who hasn't been great is Rhona Howie. A few times the co-commentator has asked her opinion on what shot they should play and she says pish like "well, it doesn't matter what I think, it's all about those players out there!". Well, sod off then, if you're not gonna be any use...

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

17 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Only one for me who hasn't been great is Rhona Howie. A few times the co-commentator has asked her opinion on what shot they should play and she says pish like "well, it doesn't matter what I think, it's all about those players out there!". Well, sod off then, if you're not gonna be any use...

Her insight is actually pretty good when decides to offer it, f**k knows what that was about (either yesterday or this morning) when Cram was just asking what she would do and as you said she refused to answer, aye that's really helpful.

What I will say is that every time I see Dave Murdoch walking down during a time out, it gives me the fear.