People's opinions of the split (..and possible reconstruction?)

Wonder how the investment working party is getting on? Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and the two Dundee clubs, wasn’t it? Must be due to hear something soon, you’d have thought? 

They'll be stringing the mug clubs along for a few more months worth of money before they eventually suggest a combination of blatantly obvious stuff and unworkable nonsense.

36 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I really think they should go elsewhere. It's a grotesque distortion at the moment, and ultimately will turn off more fans from football - or more likely, turn them into people who follow Man City or Chelsea......on the telly

What happens if Aberdeen start to dominate? Kick them out. Hearts and Hibs share the league between them for 10 years after that? Kick them out.

There are ways to change income disparity. It would be difficult and unlikely to the extreme, but kicking out teams that are successful isn't really a way to go about it.

Don't think anything will happen because Rangers/Celtic are happy with what we have. With all their money the other teams ( look at yesterday against the next best teams ) just cannot compete unless they have an off day. Games against either of them are not looked forward to by fans which many season ticket holders don't even go.

Just how can the other teams compete?

40 minutes ago, dezz said:

I think the 12 team league with a split is about as good a format as we could have at the minute and I do enjoy the split, particularly the bottom half when there's a proper relegation battle on. For me, the format of our leagues could be better but unless there's a vote to redistribute funds more evenly, or in the process of doing their financial assessment thing DeIoitte magically find a way to bring an extra few million quid into the league, then I just can't see another format that realistically works financially. 

It would need to be a serious amount of money - and surely Celgers would get their share - to make the tiniest dent in the financial disparity.

46 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I really think they should go elsewhere. It's a grotesque distortion at the moment, and ultimately will turn off more fans from football - or more likely, turn them into people who follow Man City or Chelsea......on the telly

I find it a bit frustrating when people say this as if it doesn’t happen in almost every league of our size in Europe. It’s even creeping in to the top 5 leagues in recent years. 

Almost every league below the top 5 in Europe is dominated by a select group of bigger clubs, however it’s normally maybe 3 regular winners as opposed to our 2. If we got rid of Celtic and Rangers then eventually Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen would be those 3 clubs here with possibly someone else managing to nick it every 15/20 years. 

People seem to hold Scottish football to unrealistic expectations and then can’t wait to put it down, no wonder the likes of sky think so little of our league when that’s the way our fans think of it. 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

The only way that level of boring domination stops is more equitable income distribution.  If we had a 10-2 voting structure we could rule that ticket sales from all league games are put into a pot and split evenly among the 12 clubs regardless of home attendance, for example.  The 2012 boat for that kind of change has long sailed thanks to Aberdeen and Stewart Milne. We will now forever have 11-1 and there's no way either of them will ever agree to that, and understandably so. 

Not changing that rule is 'possibly' the worst thing to have happened in Scottish football in my lifetime 😪

As I think has been said, so called 'meaningless games' are a positive thing for the development of our youth IMO. If every game is a fight for survival or success then managers are more likely to go with something stable. If there are games which have less weighting put on them, I think this naturally leads to more opportunities to experiment. 

Also I think there's a good bunch of teams in the Championship, even in League 1, which have good support and would improve the top flight of Scottish football by providing a greater variety of teams in the mix. 

Having said that what I've posted is nothing to do with the split but I think Ric's positives section sums it up nicely in my view. All staying the same I'm happy enough with the split, but I guess the thing is that by abolishing the split we'd probably need a bigger league, which I'm in favour of.

Possibly already answered but a point was made by Ric about the split preventing teams from making a late surge to Europe. I'd guess this is slightly more important now that anything from 1st to 5th can theoretically provide some sort of European football, but are there many people who feel aggrieved at the split for having stunted such a run? It's not a complaint I've seen before but I'm interested to know if its a thing. 

28 minutes ago, AJF said:

What happens if Aberdeen start to dominate? Kick them out. Hearts and Hibs share the league between them for 10 years after that? Kick them out.

There are ways to change income disparity. It would be difficult and unlikely to the extreme, but kicking out teams that are successful isn't really a way to go about it.

It’s clearly not just about being successful though, is it?

Im not actually as keen to get rid of them as others, FWIW. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s clearly not just about being successful though, is it?

Im not actually as keen to get rid of them as others, FWIW. 

Aye fair enough. Sorry, maybe the point was in respect of the wider debate rather than the specific quote about no other club winning the league.

1 hour ago, akuram said:

Don't think anything will happen because Rangers/Celtic are happy with what we have. With all their money the other teams ( look at yesterday against the next best teams ) just cannot compete unless they have an off day. Games against either of them are not looked forward to by fans which many season ticket holders don't even go.

Just how can the other teams compete?

Billionaire sugar daddies. 

Real ones with actual money. 

Not embezzling bankers, Saddam Hussein's lawyer, that guy with the perm at Hibs or the legendary comedic double act of Green & Whyte. 

The whole point of the split is to pander to the bigot twins as it's a good money spinner for them to have as many derbies as possible, get it in the bin as far as I'm concerned.

They had four derbies a season long before the split was introduced.

Without the split adding some form of drama then you'd have about 4/5 sides every season who have f**k all to play for by the end of February, at best.

A bigger league would be shite and just add to the meaningless games.

A smaller league would be shite.

I like the set up the top flight has just now tbh.

15 hours ago, Lex said:

They had four derbies a season long before the split was introduced.

They've had multiple derbies a season for most of history; it just so happens they're all in the league now. Before the Scottish League got big, there were parallel Glasgow/East of Scotland/Inter City/etc. leagues. Until the 1980s the Glasgow Cup/East of Scotland Shield/Forfarshire Cup/etc. were first-team tournaments - until the 1960s the Glasgow Charity Cup/etc. Used to be double-round-robin League Cup groups everybody participated in with 25% chance of getting each other, knockout over 2-legs with replays, Scottish Cup replays, Drybrough Cup, etc. etc.

Here are the actual number of Edinburgh and OF derbies during the supposed 'golden age' from 1946-1975:

1945-46     Ed = 5 😮  OF = 6 😮
1946-47     Ed = 3          OF = 3
1947-48     Ed = 4          OF = 5 😮
1948-49     Ed = 3          OF = 4
1949-50     Ed = 2          OF = 6 😮
1950-51     Ed = 3          OF = 3
1951-52     Ed = 3          OF = 3
1952-53     Ed = 2          OF = 3
1953-54     Ed = 3          OF = 5 😮
1954-55     Ed = 5 😮  OF = 3

1955-56     Ed = 3          OF = 6 😮
1956-57     Ed = 5 😮  OF = 8 😮 😮