People's opinions of the split (..and possible reconstruction?)

59 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Which would have meant Partick Thistle, Rangers & Hibs would have had to fold when their towns were absorbed into the larger city
And Celtic would never have happened

Too idealistic?

There is too many pages to read them all but has this come from tin foil hat wearing Celtic fans who are having a panic at the possible split fixtures?

For what it's worth the split is fucking great.

I'd completely missed this, but got a mate last night mentioned that the new head of the Bundesliga has suggested implementing play-offs to decide the champion.

Seems it's not just some daft rumour, but something actually being discussed.

I know most people are automatically against the idea, but if we're not going to do something to level out the finances within national leagues, then I think it's fair enough.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I'd completely missed this, but got a mate last night mentioned that the new head of the Bundesliga has suggested implementing play-offs to decide the champion.

Seems it's not just some daft rumour, but something actually being discussed.

I know most people are automatically against the idea, but if we're not going to do something to level out the finances within national leagues, then I think it's fair enough.

I'm dead against it tbh. Seems like a less fair version of our split. The split on steroids, sort of thing. What I do find quite interesting about this though, is the fact that it's being suggested in Germany. Were Bayern not one of the very few giants that were against the Elite European League replacing the CL? 

6 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

I'm dead against it tbh. Seems like a less fair version of our split. The split on steroids, sort of thing. What I do find quite interesting about this though, is the fact that it's being suggested in Germany. Were Bayern not one of the very few giants that were against the Elite European League replacing the CL? 

It seems Bayern haven't completely ruled out being ok with this. I haven't found too much about it in English. I think Bayern's motivation may be recognition that it is damaging their brand if the Bundesliga is viewed as a joke.

I share your immediate 'no' reaction to this. But only if there's going to be some kind of action taken to make leagues competitive again.

If things stay as they are, I'd be all for play-offs to decide the winner. The same team or two teams winning all the time is pointless.

Most people will have an immediately negative reaction to this. But has anybody got a better idea?

Edited by VincentGuerin

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It seems Bayern haven't completely ruled out being ok with this. I haven't found too much about it in English. I think Bayern's motivation may be recognition that it is damaging their brand if the Bundesliga is viewed as a joke.

I share your immediate 'no' reaction to this. But only if there's going to be some kind of action taken to make leagues competitive again.

If things stay as they are, I'd be all for play-offs to decide the winner. The same team or two teams winning all the time is pointless.

Most people will have an immediately negative reaction to this. But has anybody got a better idea?

As much as I'm against it, I have a bit of respect for Bayern if they are taking this view.

Just my suggestion before: Create a stronger second tranche of clubs by widening the gap between fifth and sixth, and narrowing the gap between second and third. No guarantee it WOULD work, but I'd prefer it to what we have at present, and think it COULD work. I feel that at least lets clubs achieve what they can based on their own resources, and in an environment that gives them the best chance of doing so.

5 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

As much as I'm against it, I have a bit of respect for Bayern if they are taking this view.

Just my suggestion before: Create a stronger second tranche of clubs by widening the gap between fifth and sixth, and narrowing the gap between second and third. No guarantee it WOULD work, but I'd prefer it to what we have at present, and think it COULD work. I feel that at least lets clubs achieve what they can based on their own resources, and in an environment that gives them the best chance of doing so.

Obviously, the more depth, the more likely we are to get a different winner. But I think that would just create a different kind of in-built polarisation without necessarily narrowing the gap enough to be a meaningful improvement.

And there's no chance the smaller clubs in the top flight vote for it. Who could blame them?

Any meaningful solution is basically going to mean the other clubs ganging up on the Old Firm, as there's no way they will willingly spice up competition, and their cheerleaders in the media will dismiss any radical suggestions to do so.

Obviously, the more depth, the more likely we are to get a different winner. But I think that would just create a different kind of in-built polarisation without necessarily narrowing the gap enough to be a meaningful improvement.

And there's no chance the smaller clubs in the top flight vote for it. Who could blame them?

Any meaningful solution is basically going to mean the other clubs ganging up on the Old Firm, as there's no way they will willingly spice up competition, and their cheerleaders in the media will dismiss any radical suggestions to do so.

Indeed they would not. I still see it as the most fair way of tackling the issue though. As much as I detest the OF, they would quite rightly feel it is unfair for a club 20 points behind them over the course of the season to have a pop at winning the championship. No easy solution though, and no size will ever fit all.

Indeed they would not. I still see it as the most fair way of tackling the issue though. As much as I detest the OF, they would quite rightly feel it is unfair for a club 20 points behind them over the course of the season to have a pop at winning the championship. No easy solution though, and no size will ever fit all.

Football isn't fair. I think we'd get used to it.

A former Bayern technical director has suggested using the play-offs every season year. Basically the years where there's no summer tournament.

That seems a reasonable compromise to me. Even year numbers are a straight league as normal, odd years use the play-offs.

7 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

A big issue here, is the non-OF clubs will never work together in this way. Many will side with the OF so that they can keep getting the money from their away supporters four times a season. I seem to remember Johnston and Brown the previous owners of Kilmarnock and St Johnstone taking such a stance previously when it came to discussions on possible improvements. Then there was Milne who kyboshed a change to the voting system. I've long thought that HMFC, Hibs and Aberdeen should have a wee working committee similar to the one Rangers and Celtic have, and back each other when there's mutually beneficial issues to address. The OF have been doing this very well for years.

Football isn't fair. I think we'd get used to it.

A former Bayern technical director has suggested using the play-offs every season year. Basically the years where there's no summer tournament.

That seems a reasonable compromise to me. Even year numbers are a straight league as normal, odd years use the play-offs.

Maybe if something like this is adopted in a footballing powerhouse like Germany, it would go some way to convincing other countries that there is a benefit to it.

. I've long thought that HMFC, Hibs and Aberdeen should have a wee working committee similar to the one Rangers and Celtic have, and back each other when there's mutually beneficial issues to address. The OF have been doing this very well for years.

I agree. I know that Budge and Dempster had a good relationship when LD was at Hibs, but I'd like to see those clubs trying to be a bit more of a block.

The three clubs are pretty similar and have more or less the same interests, although obviously in competition.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I agree. I know that Budge and Dempster had a good relationship when LD was at Hibs, but I'd like to see those clubs trying to be a bit more of a block.

The three clubs are pretty similar and have more or less the same interests, although obviously in competition.

Yeah, it failed because the supporters found the thought of the clubs cosying up too distasteful. They didn't help themselves with statements like "respect the rivalry" etc. I wouldn't want to see us going down that sort of a route again, as I have no interest in being palsy-walsy with Hibs in such a manner. I do think that at boardroom level, the three medium sized clubs need to work together more effectively though. We have a few shared interests and agendas, just like the OF do. 

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I know that Budge and Dempster had a good relationship when LD was at Hibs

They had a working relationship, that should have been better.

It didnt get past that because Budge tried to score points on more than one occasion "we invited Ronald Gordon and LD to see how hospitality is done properly" being one of her utterances to the press after they came along to chat while you guys were building the new stand.

It was a private meeting and there was no need - It was perhaps not for the benefit of the likes of you guys but was lapped up by the arseholes on kickback etc.

I know - having spoken to LD - that Hibs were somewhat pissed off about how that period went.

4 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

They had a working relationship, that should have been better.

It didnt get past that because Budge tried to score points on more than one occasion "we invited Ronald Gordon and LD to see how hospitality is done properly" being one of her utterances to the press after they came along to chat while you guys were building the new stand.

It was a private meeting and there was no need - It was perhaps not for the benefit of the likes of you guys but was lapped up by the arseholes on kickback etc.

I know - having spoken to LD - that Hibs were somewhat pissed off about how that period went.

Daft thing to say, but also a daft thing to be even remotely bothered by.

Who cares?