Celtic v Dundee

31 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Dougie McDonald awarded Celtic a penalty at Tannadice then a few seconds later reversed his decision, he tried to say his linesman called through the ear piece that it wasn't a penalty, which the linesman came out and called out as a complete lie, McDonald was looking for an escape clause for his bizarre decision making and in doing so hung out the assistant to dry, pretty sure he didn't ever run the line at senior level after that. 

Celtic contacted the SFA requesting clarification on the matter... ie what was the reasoning behind the decision and if McDonald was proven to have lied would he face disciplinary action? 

The referee's spat the dummy out at the insinuation that McDonald was a lying cheating b*****d and went on strike for a week 

Quotes from the Dundee United manager after the game

"Dougie couldn't get his finger to the spot quickly enough. It's not the first he has given against us," said Houston. 

"I thought his performance was below average today. I've got to be honest."

“But then Dougie McDonald conspires to try to give a penalty against us”

“Asked what he thought was going through the referee's head when he awarded the penalty then changed his mind, Houston added: "I don't know what goes through Dougie McDonald's mind, permanently.”

He essentially called him a cheat and not for the first time either against his team

But you know….. Celtic are to blame for it 

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

The often overlooked fact though, is that it wasn't a penalty. It was a referee panicking because he knew he'd incorrectly awarded a penalty, so needed a reason to give to change his decision.

Honesty is always the best policy 

2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Honesty is always the best policy 

Indeed. If he had just held his hands up and said I was hasty to point to the spot and have reversed my decision after considering it, he would've got a lot less hate.

46 minutes ago, AJF said:

The often overlooked fact though, is that it wasn't a penalty. It was a referee panicking because he knew he'd incorrectly awarded a penalty, so needed a reason to give to change his decision.

I was at that game, behind the goal in the shed, the United keeper (Pernis I think?) got a faint touch on the ball then absolutely cleaned Gary Hooper out with his follow through, one of those open to interpretation ones that could go either way, for me it was a penalty but I would say that. 

But that was overshadowed by McDonald's snakey behaviour in the days that followed by lying about his linesman to cover his arse, the fact that the referees went on strike in solidarity with their colleague was laughable,,he was a lying cheating b*****d.  

I don't know if it was directly related to the referee strike but im sure it was around then Hugh Dallas got bagged from his role in charge of referreeing after his computer at Hampden showed he had forwarded a grossly offensive joke about the Pope being a peadophile.  The whistlers were getting it tight back then but all through their own doing. 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Interesting take on a bit of revisionism, Hooper was impeded then took out by the keeper. 

50 minutes ago, AJF said:

Indeed. If he had just held his hands up and said I was hasty to point to the spot and have reversed my decision after considering it, he would've got a lot less hate.

He did hold his hands up after he spoke to Craven,the problem was Celtic had 3 or 4 claims for penalties outwith that one.
 Plus Celtic won the game so no sour-grapes. 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

35 minutes ago, AJF said:

Also, the assistant wouldn't have needed to come out and tell the truth, exposing the ref, observer, and Hugh Dallas - and then he wouldn't have been banned from ever refereeing again by the SFA.

59 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Actually the opposite, VAR wouldn't give that as a penalty because it come off another part of his body and onto his hand with no deliberate intent.

That's the current rule

The laws no longer mention anything about coming off another body part, instead: 

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

Having your arm above shoulder level is risky, but if you watch the highlights on the SPFL youtube you can go frame by frame and see that Jota has missed the flight of the ball, Starfelt heads it up and then knocks Jota off balance which is when the arm goes up. Would be a harsh penalty.

3 hours ago, Girth said:

Just seen the highlights. Few points…

(1) Two great set pieces from us. 

(2) Overly loud goal music to cover up the lack of atmosphere from the home fans.

(3) Do Lawlor and Fontaine play for Celtic? 

Thank you. 

Lawlor was simply horrid. How that guy is in the Premiership and not League 1 is baffling.