Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

2 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I was reading the other day that there are quite a few voices in China saying this. Russia's actions here are likely inspiring to any Chinese that see Taiwan as their property.

Putin has always been a weird despotic type but this is just mental.

From the Chinese perspective they would obviously rather see America challenged militarily in Europe than on their territory. 

Russia were explicit Ukraine wouldn't be joining NATO. It looks like they are going to annex the eastern and southern part of that map they published the other day. 

The question now is how 'Balkanised' is Ukraine going to be?

33 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I wondered how long it would take the alt right clique on here to start echoing the latest Gabbard/Pilger/Greenwald contrarian tweets.  

Having been wrong at every juncture the official line now seems to be Ukraine are a bunch of Nazis and had it coming. Galloway, indefatigably, is now retweeting Laurence Fox.

Edited by Gibby82

5 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I was reading the other day that there are quite a few voices in China saying this. Russia's actions here are likely inspiring to any Chinese that see Taiwan as their property.

There was a Chinese think tank figure openly stating this on Channel 4 news last night: China desires peaceful reunification but reserves the right to use force. Russia and China are largely on the same page and see their situations as analogous. 

Sleepy Joe has bumbled into a utter geopolitical disaster of his advisors' own making. The US was supposed to be pivoting to Asia to contain China, but has instead built up Ukraine without actually establishing meaningful deterrence. If the US commits itself to European defence, it cannot cover China as well.

By failing to choose, the US is likely to get neither outcome it wants because it isn't 1992 any more. 

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

You see this sort of thing a lot from British and American commentators, who seem unable to work out that not everything in the world revolves around them.  The classic is "Ooh you said Trump was in hoc to the Russians but they waited until Biden came into office to invade".  Russia have launched four major wars under Putin - Chechnya in 2000, Georgia in 2008 when Bush Jr was president, Ukraine in 2014 and Syria in 2015 under Obama. 

America was involved in all those conflicts. They funded Islamists in Chrechnya, the Georgian President was a CIA asset, USA did a coup in Kiev and the USA was spending billions every year supplying and arming the Islamists in Syria. 

Edited by Detournement

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

You see this sort of thing a lot from British and American commentators, who seem unable to work out that not everything in the world revolves around them.  The classic is "Ooh you said Trump was in hoc to the Russians but they waited until Biden came into office to invade".  Russia have launched four major wars under Putin - Chechnya in 2000, Georgia in 2008 when Bush Jr was president, Ukraine in 2014 and Syria in 2015 under Obama.  

Televised address from Boris Johnson at 11am, apparently.

I really don't think that Syria in 2015 counts as Russia 'launching a war' tbh. Syria was already categorically in a state of war. 

6 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

so you don't believe or have not seen the reports, images and footage of land movements and incursions across Belarus/Ukraine border points? 

Yes, I have seen them  now.  But at the time of my original post, there was no images or footage of land manoeuvres. Just reporters speculating.

Stop being a dick.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

I really don't think that Syria in 2015 counts as Russia 'launching a war' tbh. Syria was already categorically in a state of war. 

Yeah that's a fair point.  They became directly involved in a war would be a more accurate way of putting it.

11 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

From memory of trips to Kyiv and Dnipro in 06 and 07 - any female in their 20s/30s welcome, those neo-nazis that attacked our fans less so. 

We'll see if some of them are brave enough to fight when it really matters.

I suggest you let the Home Office know. They might want to make this their official immigration offer...

The last part is an very odd take on Russia's invasion of Ukraine I might add.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

So what's the end game here? Ukraine continues to exist as a state but under full control of Moscow? Or the beginnings of a new Soviet Union type state?

Putin will be hoping for Belarus 2.0. Not sure if it will work.