Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

42 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I’ve got winter tyres on my van to go and paint a few houses. Can’t believe Vlad never put them on his army vehicles for an invasion. 

Vlad, if you’re reading this and need some general life skill advice, or if you want the Kremlin painted, my rates are very fair.

I have a genuine question. I'm living in a detached house for the first time in my life. I need the front and back masonry and the front wall and the woodwork/eaves etc painted. The sides of the house are unpainted roughcast, so what is a reasonable ballpark quote for everything except the masonry on the sides of the house? It's a pretty standard interwar bungalow.

I apologise for going off topic, folks. 😬

Edited by Andre Bo

I have a genuine question. I'm living in a detached house for the first time in my life. I need the front and back masonry and the front wall and the woodwork/eaves etc painted. The sides of the house are unpainted roughcast, so what is a reasonable ballpark quote for everything except the masonry on the sides of the house? It's a pretty standard interwar bungalow.
I apologise for going off topic, folks. [emoji51]
Fuxake, let's just change the thread title :- "Roughcast and Brushing of Your Rones"

2 hours ago, maicoman said:

A bit off topic here One of the funniest things i ever heard on the radio was a programe about the Scottish people that went over to Spain to fight in the civil war in the 1930s Said to my mum "Why would anybody fight in a war that did not concern them?" She said "Why not listen and find out"  First guy on "I seen what was happening in Europe It was simply we either stopped the Facists in Spain or we would have to stop them somewhere else We failed in Spain and had to fight the 2nd world war" A good excuse to go to Spain Next was a woman she said "I had just finished my training to become a nurse There were 4 of the boys in my tenement in Glasgow that had went over to fight I went over because of them" A good excuse to go Next guy "I believed that the ballot box was more important than the gun" Fair enough a good excuse to go Next they get this guy from Fife on As soon as he started talking at 100mph in his broad Fife accent i was laughing to myself as he was reminding me of someone i knew from Fife  "I man at that time i was rebuilding the main st in Kirkcaldy The gaffer shouts at me to get that wheelbarrow of sand up here now!  These were the days if you stopped to wipe the sweat from your brow you would get sacked  on the spot I picked up the wheelbarrow and ran the length of the street with it  The gaffer shouted at me when i got there i said now! I looked at him looked at the barrow of sand looked at him again and couped the barrow of sand over his feet and shouted at him i am away to Spain to shoot b*****ds like you !"

A fair few historians would point to WWII starting in Spain in 1936 and not the invasion of Poland.  It certainly wasn't a civil war in the true sense.

This scenario is similar in a political scenario, Governments not engaging with the oppressor but nationals heading over and taking up arms for the oppressed.

Even Russian cats! have been banned from taking part in an International Cat showing tournament now. The Para Olympics has chucked them out....so is it time to ban Medvedev from tennis tournaments yet? Ukraine has already made overtures to the International Tennis Federation to do so.

Meanwhile, they are appealing to FIFA about their suspension. Time for UEFA to say that they are also booted out of the next Euro Qualifiers, and the Nations League, along with Belarus, with a 3 year ban on entering any UEFA club competitions for both countries as well.

10 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Even Russian cats! have been banned from taking part in an International Cat showing tournament now. The Para Olympics has chucked them out....so is it time to ban Medvedev from tennis tournaments yet? Ukraine has already made overtures to the International Tennis Federation to do so.

Meanwhile, they are appealing to FIFA about their suspension. Time for UEFA to say that they are also booted out of the next Euro Qualifiers, and the Nations League, along with Belarus, with a 3 year ban on entering any UEFA club competitions for both countries as well.

You really don't like Medvedev do you ? This is like the 3rd time you've been on about him particularly.

And why a 3 year ban ? Why not 2, or 5 or 10. Or indeed, why not just until the conflict ends ?

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I was talking to somebody who knows quite a lot about military theory and they were saying that much of the Russian battleplan up until now seems to be too bad to ring true...they're making elementary mistakes that you'd learn not to do in your first week at somewhere like Sandhurst.

Thinking is that possibily either the military are deliberately making a baws of it in order to weaken Putin's position, or else Putin has personally conceived a grand invasion plan which they knew was amateurish and they're carrying it out to the letter knowing it would fail and weaken him.

My worry with this is that it is deliberate.

What modern war has ever not involved the air force as a prime strike force?  Are they just trying to battle harden a large proportion of the conscripts for future incursions?*

* Complete pessimist that sees the worst case in everything.  Banned from playing Risk as I was so paranoid.  And this does feel like a game of Risk, we can only hope Putin doesn't have a full set of cavalry, artillery and infantry when he gets his third card from getting Ukraine.

7 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

You really don't like Medvedev do you ? This is like the 3rd time you've been on about him particularly.

And why a 3 year ban ? Why not 2, or 5 or 10. Or indeed, why not just until the conflict ends ?

It's a case of can't be too careful. We have tried the cats, and EA have lobbed them out of FIFA 22, but how daft will we look if it was Tennis guy all along?