Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Most, like Morrissey, Clapton, Van Morrison and seemingly this guy, would be far better off keeping their gobs shut.

I must be pretty old school but frankly I couldn't give a toss what a karaoke singer thinks about politics or a Footballer who can barely spell his own name thinks about anything actually.

Footballer has my attention simply as a Footballer, Singer appeals as a singer and what they do or say on Twitter, Facebook, pointless celebs, chase celebs etc, etc is of no interest to me whatsoever.

Is it just me that thinks like that ??

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Lucky Sergey !!

Maybe being a corrupt foreign cabinet minister would be a good career move......

On second thoughts, it doesn't need to be foreign, I'm sure there's plenty of opportunities in uk.gov.

Compared to Russia, our politicans corruption is absolutely tinpot.  Any post-Soviet country absolutely destroys us in the corruption game.  True kings.  

The former president of Ukraine was recorded saying that he was going to get "the Chechens" to deal with a journalist who wrote about how corrupt he was - a short while later the journalist turned up chopped up in a suitcase.  Nothing was ever done, the guy is actually one of the Ukrainian negotiaters in the crisis, I think.  He was certainly one of the negotiaters at Minsk.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Compared to Russia, our politicans corruption is absolutely tinpot.  Any post-Soviet country absolutely destroys us in the corruption game.  True kings.  

The former president of Ukraine was recorded saying that he was going to get "the Chechens" to deal with a journalist who wrote about how corrupt he was - a short while later the journalist turned up chopped up in a suitcase.  Nothing was ever done, the guy is actually one of the Ukrainian negotiaters in the crisis, I think.  He was certainly one of the negotiaters at Minsk.

I'm sure Tony would argue that....

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I must be pretty old school but frankly I couldn't give a toss what a karaoke singer thinks about politics or a Footballer who can barely spell his own name thinks about anything actually.

Footballer has my attention simply as a Footballer, Singer appeals as a singer and what they do or say on Twitter, Facebook, pointless celebs, chase celebs etc, etc is of no interest to me whatsoever.

I guess someone like Djokovic might arouse some thought and discussion?

So 'no deal' now, as Ukraine regard the terms as tantamount to surrender. Is it the case that Ukraine now intend to fight on to the point that they (hope) the Russians are forced to back down and withdraw (seems unlikely), or that they (Ukraine) believe that they can 'win'. If so we are in for a seriously long haul.

On the point of China (again). There now appears to be an Axis of countries which are Russia, China, Iran, North Korea and the United Arab Emirates, as well as Syria, lined up against the West. These countries will continue to do business with each other. China has little to lose in doing business with Russia, as the West relies so much on Chinese trade to not be in a position to try and cut them off in any meaningful way. Iran, N.Korea, Syria etc already regard themselves as rouge states who again have nothing to lose in doing deals with Russia. The Russian economy will continue to be able to trade, finding ways around being cut off from Swift payments (using the Chinese payments system instead), and cutting down their denomination of currency in dollars. 

China's long game plan is to have the Renminbi as a 'third' currency to hold foreign reserves in, in addition to the dollar and euro. If that happens we are in serious trouble, as it will majorly stabilise the economies of China, Russia and the others, and put even more pressure on Western finance.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not that I haven't got other things to do, but this afternoon I'm tracking Abramovich's yacht on Marine Traffic.

image.thumb.png.f8198951427d95abe72671cff5fc652a.png

Must be great when your country is at war and your assets are frozen but you can still sail about in the Med soaking up the sunshine.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Brookstein is without doubt the biggest p***k Ive never met. A bird I was at school with (dark haired stunnah) went out with him for a bit and I  seem to remember her spilling the beans about him having a tiny cock.

FTFY

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Must be great when your country is at war and your assets are frozen but you can still sail about in the Med soaking up the sunshine.

I'm curious to see if he's heading for the Black Sea, Crimea maybe, so they can't seize it.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I'm curious to see if he's heading for the Black Sea, Crimea maybe, so they can't seize it.

Northern Cyprus won't be giving a toss about sanctions. I'm sure the weather is somewhat better in Kyrenia too. 

40 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Maybe, but if you are young enough then you see these people as role models, you envy their ability to perform, especially if you are too nervous or talentless to do likewise.  It is nice when their opinion is similar to your own.

At the same time it is frustrating when your favourite Hollywood star has the most appalling opinions on everything.

Edited by Fullerene

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

Maybe, but if you are young enough then you see these people as role models, you envy their ability to perform, especially if you are to nervous or talentless to do likewise.  It is nice when their opinion is similar to your own.

At the same time it is frustrating when your favourite Hollywood star has the most appealing opinions on everything.

I never really thought of it like. I suppose social media just makes everyone more accessible than they ever were in the past.

I'm not entirely sure of that. We're so good at it we don't need to go around murdering journalists.

I spoke to a former mayor of a Kosovan town a few years ago. He said when the EU came in they were shocked at the corruption. "You can't do that! You'll get caught! This is how you should do it..."

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
I never really thought of it like. I suppose social media just makes everyone more accessible than they ever were in the past.

Don't use Twitter is a good start. Full of fucking air breathing morons.

As opposed to all the enlightened non-air breathers you find elsewhere?

13 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Don't use Twitter is a good start. Full of fucking air breathing morons.

^^^ Mouth-breather^^^^

(kidding)