Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

58 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Abramovich has admitted to paying huge bribes to secure massively under priced shares in Russian state assets. His entire fortune is based on theft. He’s also highly likely to have been involved in protection rackets and to have been involved with organised crime.

He is also very tight with Putin, he was appointed a governor by Putin and was an unofficial advisor to him, probably still is.

Aye, but apart from that...

56 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Of course, he made his money in Russia the 90's, that's taken as given. I'm just curious about the legal justification for seizing his assets in 2022.

Excellent point, if he's corrupt and it's proceeds of crime this week, then it was the same corruption and proceeds of crime 3 weeks ago and 19 years ago but nobody in power seemed to give a toss and in fact were actually sucking up to him.

It really is pretty pathetic whatever way you look at it.

21 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He made his first millions and was heavily involved in the carve-up of the Soviet Union’s industrial assets, notably through his acquisition of the large oil company Sibneft. Thanks to Russia’s controversial loans-for-shares program and Yeltsin privatising Sibneft, Abramovich with Boris Berezovsky were able to buy out the business for just $100m, despite its market value of $600m. 

That's atate-sponsored theft in anyone's book.

What 'market value'? The whole point of the post-Soviet transition was that the move towards a functioning market economy created huge opportunities for grift for the well-connected. That's why so many of the elites refused to fight to maintain the existing system. 

The 1990s looting of Russia was simply unrestricted capitalism in all its glory. 

27 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Anyone with a bit of flight training?  The Russian airforce awaits.

I hope that's a joke as I wouldn't be overly happy about UK aid money meant for the humanitarian effort being handed to Russian pilots as some sort of sick bribe.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

No, his point was to continue feathering his cap with Chinese money from film sales by avoiding saying anything about the ongoing human rights issues in that country. But rather than just going "I don't know enough about it, he infantilised his whole industry and indirectly shut down critical voices from within the industry too.

Aye he should have came out strongly against the pre 1956 slave society. Outrageous. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

No, his point was to continue feathering his cap with Chinese money from film sales by avoiding saying anything about the ongoing human rights issues in that country. But rather than just going "I don't know enough about it, he infantilised his whole industry and indirectly shut down critical voices from within the industry too.

If the nest fits...

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
45 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Anyone with a bit of flight training?  The Russian airforce awaits.

Get that Nonce c*nt Andrew over there.... Allegedly he can fly helicopters and he doesn't sweat so will be cool under fire.

He'd need to fly 28 helicopters over to the Ukrainians to settle his court claim for that 17 year old he never met and certainly never shagged.  I think the Ruski's would catch on after a few trips.

10 minutes ago, Binos said:

Our leaders should start offering to dial back sanctions and arms for Russia stopping warfare and something can be negotiated

Surely there is no need to offer this, as you would imagine the majority of sanctions will be rolled back almost as soon as the conflict ends?