Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

29 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've just seen that under the sanctions on Abramovich, Chelsea can't sell tickets for games.  Only season ticket holders can attend matches.  They can't buy or sell players or give new contracts, they can't sell merchandise.

Excellent news.  Hopefully they go bankrupt and revert back to being a shite yo-yo team.

They are also allowed to spend 20,000 pounds per away trip on travel. Fine if they are playing Spurs but not so good if they are playing in Europe 

Just now, HK Hibee said:

They are also allowed to spend 20,000 pounds per away trip on travel. Fine if they are playing Spurs but not so good if they are playing in Europe 

25 tickets on the mega bus please.

30 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It'll be due to where they are, they can only move along the roads which by design are narrow, but yes, don't literally go nose to tail ffs.

The two world wars were not fought solely by road-based transport. This is strategic incompetence on a par with the British thinking that the Japanese couldn't possibly send troops through the jungle. 

Two weeks later, a bunch of Japanese infantry on bicycles had punted them out of Singapore. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

The two world wars were not fought solely by road-based transport. This is strategic incompetence on a par with the British thinking that the Japanese couldn't possibly send troops through the jungle. 

Two weeks later, a bunch of Japanese infantry on bicycles had punted them out of Singapore. 

Well quite, my point was if you do choose to move solely on roads, maybe don't all drive right next to each other.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Obviously inspired by some auld Greeks and a hollow wooden horse........................

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I've just seen that under the sanctions on Abramovich, Chelsea can't sell tickets for games.  Only season ticket holders can attend matches.  They can't buy or sell players or give new contracts, they can't sell merchandise.

Excellent news.  Hopefully they go bankrupt and revert back to being a shite yo-yo team.

I agree, but if we were to examine the ownership credentials of almost every Premier League team with the possible exception of Norwich we'd find 'persons of interest'.  This news partly compensates for the likelihood of Newcastle avoiding relegation.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Brookstein is without doubt the biggest p***k Ive never met. A bird I was at school with (dark haired stunnah) went out with him for a bit and I  seem to remember her spilling the beans about his absolute self absorbed cuntishness.

I seem to remember @Jimmy Shaker got a KB from him on Twitter at one point for being a "football person" or some such shite.

I dont share his views and he could well be a p**k but i suppose he has stuck his head above the parapet and spoke about the war unlike other so called pop stars, the only time you'll hear them giving an opinion will be on stage at Wembly for the Aid for Ukraine Gig.

15 minutes ago, virginton said:

To be fair, once you're into the suburbs, the only routes forward tend to be roads.

27 minutes ago, Welly boy said:

I dont share his views and he could well be a p**k but i suppose he has stuck his head above the parapet and spoke about the war unlike other so called pop stars, the only time you'll hear them giving an opinion will be on stage at Wembly for the Aid for Ukraine Gig.

Most, like Morrissey, Clapton, Van Morrison and seemingly this guy, would be far better off keeping their gobs shut.

Tanya, 18, a student from Mariupol and now studying abroad, was in contact with her mum and brother, who are still in Mariupol, on Wednesday. Here’s her story.

Yesterday my brother and my mum managed to find a spot where they could find a connection to call us. They were risking their lives going outside but they know me and my dad are extremely worried about them. They were on the phone for four or five minutes. My brother was trying to be positive but I could hear in his voice that he’s feeling desperate and they don’t know how they’re going to leave the city. It’s been one week without enough food and water, without electricity, and without heating and it’s hard because Mariupol is pretty cold.

I was born in Mariupol and I lived there for the last 10 years. In the last few years, our mayor made many changes; lots of areas have been rebuilt, and it has become a much more beautiful city. There was even a new shopping center. And now everything is destroyed.

I can’t imagine this is happening now. I feel this is surreal. I feel like I’m just dreaming and as I’m talking about it, my hands are shaking, it’s so hard to process. Thankfully my dad, who’s a ship engineer, was onboard when the war started. Now we’re together in Germany where his company is based. Normally I’m studying in another country but I’m with him because he can’t handle it. He’s very emotional, he’s crying every five minutes because his wife and son - my mum and brother - are in Mariupol.

My brother told us that a rocket had hit the neighbouring building to the underground car park he and my mum are living in. It’s safer in the carpark than our apartment, which is on the 5th floor and is very dangerous because some of the buildings around it have been completely bombed. They’re sleeping in the car, so they can keep a little bit warm and can charge their phone. There are around 10 or 12 people down there, and my brother told me that everyone is trying to help each other; if someone has spare food or water, they share it.”

There is very little food and water now. I know my mum and my brother cooked a huge amount of porridge at the beginning, a week ago, when they still had electricity. They also filled the bath in the apartment with water. They did some shopping to stock up when the war started but it’s never enough.

My mum told us, on the phone, that they’ve lost so much weight, she said it’s because they’re so stressed. She said “Without food, that’s fine, you know. We’re not scared anymore, we’re just tired, tired from this situation. There’s no fear now, we kind of get used to all this, shooting - that’s fine, bombing - that’s fine.” She said they’re not craving food anymore, even though they’re hungry. They’re just so tired. They want to leave, they want to be safe.

I heard in news reports that a kid died of dehydration. I couldn’t believe it was possible to die of dehydration in the city, in 2022. It’s crazy, it’s really crazy.

It made me and my dad feel a little bit happier yesterday because we heard their voices. They were trying so hard to be positive when they were talking to us. My brother said we have to be strong and we have to believe in them and in Mariupol and that they will win and they will survive. My mum said “Hope dies last” even when you’re devastated and destroyed emotionally, you have to believe in the best.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Interesting thread from one of the workers are Navalny's anti corruption organisation on a young woman living in a large flat in London with no source of income and a close relationship with Sergey Lavrov, who today denied that Russia has attacked Ukraine.

Lucky Sergey !!

Maybe being a corrupt foreign cabinet minister would be a good career move......

On second thoughts, it doesn't need to be foreign, I'm sure there's plenty of opportunities in uk.gov.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Most, like Morrissey, Clapton, Van Morrison and seemingly this guy, would be far better off keeping their gobs shut.

I must be pretty old school but frankly I couldn't give a toss what a karaoke singer thinks about politics or a Footballer who can barely spell his own name thinks about anything actually.

Footballer has my attention simply as a Footballer, Singer appeals as a singer and what they do or say on Twitter, Facebook, pointless celebs, chase celebs etc, etc is of no interest to me whatsoever.

Is it just me that thinks like that ??

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Lucky Sergey !!

Maybe being a corrupt foreign cabinet minister would be a good career move......

On second thoughts, it doesn't need to be foreign, I'm sure there's plenty of opportunities in uk.gov.

Compared to Russia, our politicans corruption is absolutely tinpot.  Any post-Soviet country absolutely destroys us in the corruption game.  True kings.  

The former president of Ukraine was recorded saying that he was going to get "the Chechens" to deal with a journalist who wrote about how corrupt he was - a short while later the journalist turned up chopped up in a suitcase.  Nothing was ever done, the guy is actually one of the Ukrainian negotiaters in the crisis, I think.  He was certainly one of the negotiaters at Minsk.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Compared to Russia, our politicans corruption is absolutely tinpot.  Any post-Soviet country absolutely destroys us in the corruption game.  True kings.  

The former president of Ukraine was recorded saying that he was going to get "the Chechens" to deal with a journalist who wrote about how corrupt he was - a short while later the journalist turned up chopped up in a suitcase.  Nothing was ever done, the guy is actually one of the Ukrainian negotiaters in the crisis, I think.  He was certainly one of the negotiaters at Minsk.

I'm sure Tony would argue that....

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I must be pretty old school but frankly I couldn't give a toss what a karaoke singer thinks about politics or a Footballer who can barely spell his own name thinks about anything actually.

Footballer has my attention simply as a Footballer, Singer appeals as a singer and what they do or say on Twitter, Facebook, pointless celebs, chase celebs etc, etc is of no interest to me whatsoever.

Is it just me that thinks like that ??

I guess someone like Djokovic might arouse some thought and discussion?

So 'no deal' now, as Ukraine regard the terms as tantamount to surrender. Is it the case that Ukraine now intend to fight on to the point that they (hope) the Russians are forced to back down and withdraw (seems unlikely), or that they (Ukraine) believe that they can 'win'. If so we are in for a seriously long haul.

On the point of China (again). There now appears to be an Axis of countries which are Russia, China, Iran, North Korea and the United Arab Emirates, as well as Syria, lined up against the West. These countries will continue to do business with each other. China has little to lose in doing business with Russia, as the West relies so much on Chinese trade to not be in a position to try and cut them off in any meaningful way. Iran, N.Korea, Syria etc already regard themselves as rouge states who again have nothing to lose in doing deals with Russia. The Russian economy will continue to be able to trade, finding ways around being cut off from Swift payments (using the Chinese payments system instead), and cutting down their denomination of currency in dollars. 

China's long game plan is to have the Renminbi as a 'third' currency to hold foreign reserves in, in addition to the dollar and euro. If that happens we are in serious trouble, as it will majorly stabilise the economies of China, Russia and the others, and put even more pressure on Western finance.