Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

15 hours ago, deegee said:

Looking back to the period between 1945 until 1989, it is incredible to think a land war was avoided in Europe. As a child brought up in the 70s (and military “career” was a couple years in the TA on the mid 80’s), it was thought inevitable that we’d have some sort of nuclear war.

Even the Yugoslavian/ Balkan’s War was brought about by the passing of Tito and was an ethnic civil war with barely much input by the Soviets or the West from memory. 
This current conflict is “different gravy” and is probably the most serious threat to a full scale war and possible Armageddon since Cuba, I guess?  With any luck there’s a chat going on in some African cafe between Russian and American embassy staff, to ensure Putin “stands down” one way or another!

I was born in the early 50's, and so, did my most of my schooling, in Stranraer, through the '60's. When it was time to do my Highers, that coincided with my father obtaining a new teaching job, in England. The family moved, and I stayed behind in digs in Stranraer for a couple of months to revise and then take the exams.

My bedroom in the digs had a bookcase  with a full set, about 12 very large volumes, of the history of the Second World War, and surrounding conflicts.

I read them all, in detail. A long, long way from what had been taught at the High School ( now Stranraer Academy ).

Given the sheer scale of the horrors,  I'm completely unsurprised that no one really wanted another outright war.

And by the time I was reading them, the doctrine of MAD ( Mutually Assured Destruction  in the event of a nuclear exchange )  was well established,

and no one wanted to be part of a collective suicide.

I never, ever thought a nuclear war was inevitable.

Edited by beefybake

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Comments about people falling out windows in Moscow without a thought about poor old White Helmets creator James Le Mesurier who fell out a window after getting caught with his fingers in the till.

Never mind Caesar getting stabbed by Brutus and Jesus getting fingered by Judas.  

16 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

We pick our battles. There are other conflicts we could have gotten involved with but we chose this one.

This is a proxy war for us so if we win the war what do we win? What's the prize?

In Iraq we won the oil, what do we win here? Food? Oil? Something else?

Not sure it's a case of picking battles, because that rather implies looking for a fight.

What it looks more like to me is the shock of seeing naked aggression re-appearing in Europe.

From a country still considered to be a major power.

It's s only 1, 2, generations ago since Russia was marching into Poland,  slaughtering army officers, and intelligentsia,

( the Katyn Massacre )..., and that was just the beginning.

So hardly a big surprise to see lots of European countries, right now, wondering... " Who's next....".

Edited by beefybake

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Lavrov claimed the maternity hospital in Mariupol was the Azov Battalion HQ yesterday.

Lavrov is beyond "Comical Ali" status.

The level of gaslighting by Russia is reaching stratospheric proportions.

It's like a wee boy standing with a match and empty petrol can as the house in the background goes up in flames, as he proclaims "it wasn't me".

Russia is a total farce of a country 

The head of the FSB Foreign Service has been accused of stealing funds for the invasion and of deliberately providing incorrect intelligence.

That money was just resting in his account....... Shades of Ted Crilly here.
FSB must stand for Father Spodo Bammalammer..........

26 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There's a lot of Through The Looking Glass stuff on the thread.

Speculation about Putin killing his generals, complete amnesia about Ukraine's security services executing a negotiator last week Comments about people falling out windows in Moscow without a thought about poor old White Helmets creator James Le Mesurier who fell out a window after getting caught with his fingers in the till.

He went over his balcony full of sleeping tablets in an apparent suicide which all evidence supports although honest chappy President Assad said he was killed by MI5 so I'll go with his narrative.

5 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Has anyone ever met a nice Russian?

yes, several......a lot of wonderful Russians.  Dont believe for one second that the majority are in favour of what Putin has done.  I personally know a few but even think back to the world cup in 2018...many visitors to Russia were delighted with their hosts and it was one of the most positive things about that tournament.  I feel sorry for decent Russians that they are going to suffer for years and have absolutely no power to change the current regime.

14 hours ago, 101 said:

UN security council meeting tomorrow at Russians request, apparently to discuss alleged American biological research in Ukraine.

Should be on here at 3pm I think. Could be quite a circus, memories of Colin Powell come to mind.

https://media.un.org/en/webtv/schedule

33 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

It's worth getting up early in Cyprus watch the Russians fighting the Germans fighting the English for the best poolside deckchairs at 6am.

54 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Yes, my friend Olga. She did leave Russia to live here and hates Russia or the thought of ever going back, so safe to say she is not in sympathy with them.

Edited by Jambomo