Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

China's prosperity depends on a prosperous West buying their stuff, and Russia's depends on everything getting back to normal before Europe really does find new oil, gas and other raw material sources and the US is best pals with Venezuela again. I think Putin has really fucked up here, the West are holding most of the levers if this drags out. There will be short term pain but we're heading into summer.

Very true that China relies on Western trade (although they do have a lot of economic foothold in both Africa and the Middle Easr now).

5 years is a very conservative estimate for the likes of Germany and Italy in particular to fund and set up alternative energy sources..building nuclear power plants, renewables, heat pumps, being able to transport in liquefied gas etc.

Meantime the Russian economy will still be extracting and selling them oil (as well as to China).

Just goes to show that all Wars are ultimately fought over resources somewhere along the line whether oil, gas or food 

I hope the snivelling Belarus get absolutely fucking obliterated.

I know this isn't a game, or a point scoring exercise, but all the same, their contribution to this is to be reviled and I hope their losses result in their rulers being hanged from a hastily erected scaffold

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Abramovich's boat switched off its locator beacon 4 hours ago, looked to be heading for Montenegro or Albania but who knows now.

image.thumb.png.59dd17bff5fbb0b8581b9b39dc1a36e0.png

Back on track, heading up the Adriatic.

image.thumb.png.891d0e587c422e1cba995f46d87ab202.png

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I hope the snivelling Belarus get absolutely fucking obliterated.

I know this isn't a game, or a point scoring exercise, but all the same, their contribution to this is to be reviled and I hope their losses result in their rulers being hanged from a hastily erected scaffold

They're the Italians in this war!

Found the Russians absolutely fine when I was in Russia. Especially the ones that could speak English to a reasonable degree - all quite happy to have a chat and went out their way for you. Was quite surprised at that as I expected them to be fairly reserved. 
Experiences of people that have met large numbers of Russians on holiday seem to differ. 
My mum has been the same when she's been in Russia.

She said there were very few who had anything good to say about Putin - many couldn't wait to get out of the country.