Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Some hopeful signs of rational compromise maybe. From the Guardian.

In terms of ending the conflict it’s hopeful.  Not sure I’d describe it as rational.  It’s certainly not beneficial in the long run.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In terms of ending the conflict it’s hopeful.  Not sure I’d describe it as rational.  It’s certainly not beneficial in the long run.

I meant rational in terms of realpolitik. NATO were never going to allow Ukraine in as a full member anyway.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I meant rational in terms of realpolitik. NATO were never going to allow Ukraine in as a full member anyway.

Putin has been emboldened by the UK’s complicity in laundering dirty money in the country and doing f**k all meaningful when he sent two agents to poison people in Salisbury.

As a result we have enabled his actions in Ukraine which are probably the most serious threat to peace in Europe since 1945.

If he’s allowed to determine the foreign policy of another sovereign state then it’s definitely a win for him and will shape policy for the next few decades.

There should be a longer term plan of political and economic isolation to minimise Russian influence but there’s too much dirty money out there and too many greedy Tories and Tory backers for it too happen.

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Putin has been emboldened by the UK’s complicity in laundering dirty money in the country and doing f**k all meaningful when he sent two agents to poison people in Salisbury.

The first part of this makes no sense. Why would Putin need the UK to launder money that was leaving Russia? And most of the money that is being spoken about came from the sale of Russian state assets that were privatised exactly the same way as British state assets have been privatised. Eg The Royal Mail was sold of to preferred bidders massively under value, I don't see how that's any different to Abramovich accquiring his companies. The UK's issue here is that Russia is now an outright geopolitical rival rather than anything to do with legal processes. 

On the topic of Salisbury 5 years on we still have no official explanation of how the substance found it's way onto Skripal's door or how the bottle of perfume came to be present in the charity bin. 

Edited by Detournement

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

As a result we have enabled his actions in Ukraine which are probably the most serious threat to peace in Europe since 1945.

If you were asleep and drooling over yourself for the entire period between 1945 and 1989, sure. 

"One former MI6 officer reflected on the strange friendship between the Lebedevs, father and son: “it’s just not credible that the Lebedevs don’t do something for the Kremlin. If Boris goes to the Lebedevs’ palazzo in Italy and shags someone, there’s got to be a sporting chance that someone’s filming it… Imagine if Putin was knocking off a woman in a place in Moscow owned by a British businessman, then, in my old job, I would be on to that immediately, I would be all over it like a bad rash.” 

Boris Johnson may have put himself in a position where he could have been compromised.

We don’t know the full facts. But, if the former MI6 officer is correct, the Kremlin does." 

Account of the battle of Voznesensk, sounds brutal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukraine-russia-voznesensk-town-battle-11647444734?st=z24ubrmo2xi9bq1&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

Some photos of dead soldiers in the story.  Sneaky c**t of an intelligence officer swapping uniforms with a young conscript when they were about to get caught.

Anyway, Putin is ranting on telly at the moment

Post-war he's got an alternative career as a columnist for Spiked IMO.

45 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Account of the battle of Voznesensk, sounds brutal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukraine-russia-voznesensk-town-battle-11647444734?st=z24ubrmo2xi9bq1&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

Some photos of dead soldiers in the story.  Sneaky c**t of an intelligence officer swapping uniforms with a young conscript when they were about to get caught.

Anyway, Putin is ranting on telly at the moment

Post-war he's got an alternative career as a columnist for Spiked IMO.

Wonder what the people who think allowing vegetarian sausages and not assaulting men for wearing nail polish let this happen make of Vlad thinking the same thing as them

In a pub in Krakow, already been joined by a young lad from Chicago, going into Ukraine tomorrow(my camouflage trousers are like a light to a moth). He's a trained soldier who's been relieved from duties due to having been blown up in Iraq and now seems himself as a freedom fighter. We were joined by an Aussie who came back from Lviv yesterday after picking up his mother in law, he says he was shitting it and showed a video of him up at 4am due to air raid sirens. There is a lot of support here with Ukraine flags and posters in loads of windows. The general vibe with the locals is surely Putin won't be daft enough to take on NATO.......  Kate Aidie half biffed in central Krakow.

Apparently Putin said on his speech that the West is trying to “cancel Russia”.

looking forward to his next speech where he complains that “they say it in those rap songs but it’s not alright if I say it?”.