Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

32 minutes ago, Lex said:

Looks like nothing is going to happen then.

and wasnt that what most expected?  What utter crap abut "our intelligence says there will be an invasion on Wednesday"  same intelligence that made up WMD in Iraq.....same intelligence that cant provide sufficient detail on Russians laundering money by spending billions on London property...same intelligence that suggests Mrs Browns Boys is popular and deserving of a new series?

Interesting hearing some of the interviews with ex-pats in Ukraine....most seem to be going about their business as usual and the Russians always have troops near the border....not a lot has changed recently.....just Western governmetns and media have hyped this up to cover up a whole heap of nonsense at home.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's been a hell of an expensive way for Putin to feel like he matters on the world stage. Moving half the army to temporary camps around Ukraine for months can't be cheap.

I thought they typically had around 80,000 troops in these areas as a matter of course (its a huge border)

Just now, Caledonian1 said:

and wasnt that what most expected?  What utter crap abut "our intelligence says there will be an invasion on Wednesday"  same intelligence that made up WMD in Iraq.....same intelligence that cant provide sufficient detail on Russians laundering money by spending billions on London property...same intelligence that suggests Mrs Browns Boys is popular and deserving of a new series?

Interesting hearing some of the interviews with ex-pats in Ukraine....most seem to be going about their business as usual and the Russians always have troops near the border....not a lot has changed recently.....just Western governmetns and media have hyped this up to cover up a whole heap of nonsense at home.

Yeah definitely. This has been going on for years and will go on for years more. The covert war that has been happening for about a decade suits Russia far better than a hot war would. It's all just games by Putin and the troop build up distracts the Russian people from the various internal issues going on there. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's been a hell of an expensive way for Putin to feel like he matters on the world stage. Moving half the army to temporary camps around Ukraine for months can't be cheap.

The global gas price is rather high, they will be coining it in.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

1) The Russians already had planned military exercises in Belarus.

2) Only utter tinpot outfits like 'the United Kingdom' worry about cost when moving forces around their internal territory. It's not the ten year occupation of Afghanistan, the cost is incidental to claiming to be a significant international power and being treated as such. 

Edited by vikingTON

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'd be aiming that at the "no marks" that are BJ and angry Liz who seem to think that anyone actually cares about what they say or think.

Although I'm sure Vlad is petrified that gentle Ben Wallace carries through with his threat of sending over a mine sweeper to sort out the Russian Black sea fleet.....

2 hours ago, virginton said:

1) The Russians already had planned military exercises in Belarus.

2) Only utter tinpot outfits like 'the United Kingdom' worry about cost when moving forces around their internal territory. It's not the ten year occupation of Afghanistan, the cost is incidental to claiming to be a significant international power and being treated as such. 

I'm sure Russian mothers won't be happy about their conscripted sons sleeping in tents in the middle of winter for the sake of a few photo ops with world leaders and with Putin 10 metres away because he's worried about what you call the sniffles.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I'm sure Russian mothers won't be happy about their conscripted sons sleeping in tents in the middle of winter for the sake of a few photo ops with world leaders and with Putin 10 metres away because he's worried about what you call the sniffles.

Tents? They don't know when they're well off. It used to be hollowed out dead horses.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If Russian mothers thought they had a say in the matter, then they're even more deluded than yourself. 

The Russian army isn't exactly known for its positive HR policies over the past few hundred years. 

Edited by vikingTON

I must say I am rather unimpressed by modern militaries apparently spending billions on weapons systems and encryption software only to reveal their plans, right down to time of attack, at the last minute on Fox News and Wales Today.

Alan Turing would have been wasted these days - all he'd have needed to rumble the Nazi war machine would have been some wi-fi and a dodgy firestick.

30 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Biden's speech suggests the USA is not interested in desecalation. 

He also said that this conflict would result in higher energy prices for Americans.

The old print trillions of dollars from thin air and blame someone else for inflation trick.

Biden's words sounded very much like something is going to kick off whether the parties involved want it or not.