Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

15 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Never have guessed George would be backing Putin’s boys eh?

If you're invading where Russian people live there's little point in leaving your fascist battalions at home, eh @Sergeant Wilson?

4 hours ago, Left Back said:

Many countries did.  There was even a British one called the British Free Corps

The British one had about 12 people in it, never fought, was never considered a military asset, and would have been taken out by one burst of machine gun fire.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

Why not just nuke the fucker?

Although a flippant remark, no-one will use nukes as an offensive weapon ever. The US nuking anything remotely Russian will spell the end of the world, and frankly no world leader on either side wants that to happen. Not until they can safely go to space.

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

Although a flippant remark, no-one will use nukes as an offensive weapon ever. The US nuking anything remotely Russian will spell the end of the world, and frankly no world leader on either side wants that to happen. Not until they can safely go to space.

Why not fire a few off without the nuclear stuff in just to make their arses twitch a bit?

Seems a waste to have folk in a sub driving about the world for some we cant use. Be better use of the money using the subs as passenger ferries until we are at a proper war.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

I think this is right, even in regards to a World War. I don't think either America or Russia actually wants it so, if it comes to it, one will always back down with the other.

But I do think Putin wants to do something that means his name will be remembered throughout Europe for 100+ years, so he'll have something big up his sleeve.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I think this is right, even in regards to a World War. I don't think either America or Russia actually wants it so, if it comes to it, one will always back down with the other.

But I do think Putin wants to do something that means his name will be remembered throughout Europe for 100+ years, so he'll have something big up his sleeve.

Congratulations on the most vapid geopolitical analysis of all time. 

Putin's legacy is already secured as the President of Russia who restored some of its power and wasn't a laughing stock jakey like his immediate predecessor. Russia is an immeasurably more significant global power today than it was in 2000. That doesn't make him a genius, but would be enough to get a favourable judgment from the great man version of history. 

If Putin was certain that a successor would protect him and his clientilist acts in office from correction and possible prosecution, then I suspect he'd have chucked it already. It's the lack of a reliable successor (which used to be Medvedev, until he got chucked aside and Putin returned to office, now indefinitely) that best explains his political calculations. 

Why not fire a few off without the nuclear stuff in just to make their arses twitch a bit?
Seems a waste to have folk in a sub driving about the world for some we cant use. Be better use of the money using the subs as passenger ferries until we are at a proper war.
Should rent them out. A sub let, I think they call it.

So Russia has annexed/stolen a big chunk from Ukraine already (Crimea), is in the process of destabilising and seizing areas of Ukraine with their "little Green men" and currently has over 60% of it's armed forces sitting on Ukraine's borders, but it's America that's desperate to start something?

Congratulations on the most vapid geopolitical analysis of all time. 
Putin's legacy is already secured as the President of Russia who restored some of its power and wasn't a laughing stock jakey like his immediate predecessor. Russia is an immeasurably more significant global power today than it was in 2000. That doesn't make him a genius, but would be enough to get a favourable judgment from the great man version of history. 
If Putin was certain that a successor would protect him and his clientilist acts in office from correction and possible prosecution, then I suspect he'd have chucked it already. It's the lack of a reliable successor (which used to be Medvedev, until he got chucked aside and Putin returned to office, now indefinitely) that best explains his political calculations. 

Medvedev was never ever seen as a reliable successor.
He was a puppet of Putin used to ensure the change to policy to allow Putin to return to office and stay there indefinitely.
Even before Medvedev took office, it was already being discussed that this was Putin's plan.