Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Radio Scotland in " worth listening to " shocker !

John " Pete Townsend played the solo on My Generation " Beattie interviewed a Russian journalist (?).

IIRC described as pro Russian , but not necessarily pro Putin.

He said if Ukraine ( joined NATO and ) got missiles they would only be 7 minutes flight to Moscow and compared it all to the Cuban missile crisis.

Putin is a **** but it was an interesting point of view

23 minutes ago, Ewan8472 said:

John " Pete Townsend played the solo on My Generation " Beattie interviewed a Russian journalist (?).

He said if Ukraine ( joined NATO and ) got missiles they would only be 7 minutes flight to Moscow and compared it all to the Cuban missile crisis.

Yes, the way I always look at it is how do the yanks react when something they don't like occurs politically in Central or South America and as for the UK, how would England (and indeed the Yanks) react if an independent Scotland signed a deal with China or Russia to allow them to setup bases here ?

Would they see us as a sovereign state free to make our own choices ??

I think not.....

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, the way I always look at it is how do the yanks react when something they don't like occurs politically in Central or South America and as for the UK, how would England (and indeed the Yanks) react if an independent Scotland signed a deal with China or Russia to allow them to setup bases here ?

Would they see us as a sovereign state free to make our own choices ??

I think not.....

Is it still the case wrt Central and South America ?

Certainly in the past they reacted

Nicuagra ( sp ) Sandanistas , El Salvador contras

31 minutes ago, Ewan8472 said:

Instead of 8 minutes from Germany or 6 from a submarine in the Baltic?

10 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Before and during WW2 the Nazis found willing allies from the now independent countries that broke away after the collapse of the Soviet Union , Ukraine was one.

They even had their own volunteer division of SS.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3004274

Great bunch of lads IIRC. Always up for a laugh.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Before and during WW2 the Nazis found willing allies from the now independent countries that broke away after the collapse of the Soviet Union , Ukraine was one.

Wait till the UK sends in the Mumsnet Division.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Many countries did.  There was even a British one called the British Free Corps

When I was in Estonia, their Museum of Liberation was an eye-opener, portraying as local heroes the Estonian nationals who formed an SS Division of resistance to the Russian invaders. I guess it’s all about context and self- interest.

Same as the Jewish Museum in Krakow clearly shows that many of the atrocities were carried out by Ukrainian, Hungarian SS Units etc! World War 2 in many ways was an excuse for many nations in the Balkans, central and Eastern Europe to have their own little local ethnic cleansing. And that’s before we consider the Communist parties trying to seize power in many other European nations.

26 minutes ago, deegee said:

When I was in Estonia, their Museum of Liberation was an eye-opener, portraying as local heroes the Estonian nationals who formed an SS Division of resistance to the Russian invaders. I guess it’s all about context and self- interest.

Same as the Jewish Museum in Krakow clearly shows that many of the atrocities were carried out by Ukrainian, Hungarian SS Units etc! World War 2 in many ways was an excuse for many nations in the Balkans, central and Eastern Europe to have their own little local ethnic cleansing. And that’s before we consider the Communist parties trying to seize power in many other European nations.

Finland was an ally of Nazi Germany because they were both fighting the Soviet Union, while Norway was fighting German occupation.

The Nazis were totally evil but pretty much the same could be said of the Soviet Union.  Stalin was quite happy to supply Germany with everything up until the day that Germany attacked.

All occupied countries were seriously compromised.  The Ukrainians were often fighting both the Nazis and the Soviets.

Edited by Fullerene

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Finland was an ally of Nazi Germany because they were both fighting the Soviet Union, while Norway was fighting German occupation.

The Nazis were totally evil but pretty much the same could be said of the Soviet Union.  Stalin was quite happy to supply Germany with everything up until the day that Germany attacked.

All occupied countries were seriously compromised.  The Ukrainians were often fighting both the Nazis and the Soviets.

Our old minister drove an ambulance for the Finns during their war with the Soviet Union. When he got back he was told he might get charged with aiding the enemy but he didn't hear anything more. I think we're still officially at war with Finland as nobody bothered doing the paperwork to end it.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Our old minister drove an ambulance for the Finns during their war with the Soviet Union. When he got back he was told he might get charged with aiding the enemy but he didn't hear anything more. I think we're still officially at war with Finland as nobody bothered doing the paperwork to end it.

Maybe we should annexe Finland get Nato to cram the border with Russia.