Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

3 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Thread here keeping track of their use if cluster munitions are your thing.

Nato dropped plenty of Cluster bombs in Serbia.

(Belgrade, 10. March 2009) Ten years after the NATO bombing of Serbia, unexploded cluster munitions still represent a deadly threat to tens of thousands of people living in 16 municipalities in Serbia. A survey implemented by Norwegian People's Aid for the first time details the scope of the impact of cluster bombs in the country. The results of the survey were presented at a press conference in Belgrade today.

https://reliefweb.int/report/serbia/scale-cluster-bomb-problem-serbia-revealed-first-time

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You clearly haven't read his previous posts on that other forum.

De-escalation has to be by both sides not one side.

Be very clear - the aggressor here isn't the Ukrainians - why the f**k should they de-escalate when the Russians are still attempting to invade?

Presumably you're referring to past threads talking about RT. There have been a few people in this discussion saying they have been flicking over to it sometimes, are they all Putinist mouthpieces too? Incidentally I can't remember the last time I watched RT, I just see their headlines shared on Twitter and read if it's worth a look.

1 minute ago, ManBearPig said:

It is when your idea of de-escalation is just "let Russia do whatever it wants".

^^^ This.  Russia cannot be allowed to dictate the policies of a sovereign country, including that county’s foreign policy.

25 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You clearly haven't read his previous posts on that other forum.

De-escalation has to be by both sides not one side.

Be very clear - the aggressor here isn't the Ukrainians - why the f**k should they de-escalate when the Russians are still attempting to invade?

They need to continue fighting until it's clear to Putin that if he continues there will be a protracted guerrilla war - that it is in his interests to have a ceasefire.

I have read a lot of his posts as it goes. I know he's very critical of NATO and the USA which isn't particularly helpful right now but also... not wrong? Obviously Russia has committed an atrocious act and should be condemned for doing so, but both generally, in failing to realise that it is no longer 1992, and specifically in hanging Ukraine out to dry there is a lot of failure there. Again, this might be an emotional time but this isn't a controversial or treasonous opinion, nor does it minimize the criminality of Russia or solidarity with Ukrainian people. A lot of serious people have been discussing it, including experts invited on the BBC. 

As for the rest, de escalation is very obviously bilateral, I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise and it's odd you keep implying so. And guerilla warfare usually ends with large numbers of guerillas, their friends and families being tortured to death so I'm not sure anyone advocating that has the best interests of Ukrainian people at heart.

There's a lot of romanticism involved in our discussion of this in the UK which personally I find odd. I have a lot of admiration for ordinary Ukrainian people deciding to stand up and resist this invasion, but I don't know if I feel comfortable demanding they do so to fit my idea of how this should end. A lot of naivety too, it was perplexing to see the BBC broadcast the faces of people quite likely to soon be under Russian occupation making Molotov cocktails the other day.

To reiterate, because I'm sure it will be ignored written above, I unequivocally condemn Russia's actions and, if for some reason I was allowed to pick, want Ukraine to win this. I also think the options other than the proposed peace talks going well are terrifying for Ukraine and the world, and don't feel it's my place to start talking about people 1000s of miles away fighting a guerilla war against a professional army, whether it would be admirable or not 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

1 minute ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I've read A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, don't recall any mention of this kind of scenario. Would still recommend.

I’m holding out for A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian II if you don’t mind.

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I have read a lot of his posts as it goes. I know he's very critical of NATO and the USA but he's also... not wrong? Obviously Russia has committed an atrocious act and should be condemned for doing so, but both generally, in failing to realise that it is no longer 1992, and specifically in hanging Ukraine out to dry there is a lot of failure there. Again, this might be an emotional time but this isn't a controversial or treasonous opinion, nor does it minimize the criminality of Russia or solidarity with Ukrainian people. A lot of serious people have been discussing it, including experts invited on the BBC. 

As for the rest, de escalation is very obviously bilateral, I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise and it's odd you keep implying so. And guerilla warfare usually ends with large numbers of guerillas, their friends and families being tortured to death so I'm not sure anyone advocating that has the best interests of Ukrainian people at heart.

There's a lot of romanticism involved in our discussion of this in the UK which personally I find odd. I have a lot of admiration for ordinary Ukrainian people deciding to stand up and resist this invasion, but I don't know if I feel comfortable demanding they do so to fit my idea of how this should end. A lot of naivety too, it was perplexing to see the BBC broadcast the faces of people quite likely to soon be under Russian occupation making Molotov cocktails the other day.

To reiterate, because I'm sure it will be ignored written above, I unequivocally condemn Russia's actions and, if for some reason I was allowed to pick, want Ukraine to win this. I also think the options other than the proposed peace talks going well are terrifying for Ukraine and the world, and don't feel it's my place to start talking about people 1000s of miles away fighting a guerilla war against a professional army, whether it would be admirable or not 

Wait, you want people to stop shooting each other ?

This sounds like Putin loving treason to me.