Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

20 minutes ago, 101 said:

Russia says they will cut the gas off if we stop the flow of oil, but in practice will we really need to officially stop the flow of oil if BP follow Shell?

That would be the big hitters leaving Russia alone which will decimate their exports I don't imagine anyone comes close to exporting the amount of oil that BP and Shell do.

There is a difference between Shell and BP not operating in Russia and Europe banning Russian oil.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There is a difference between Shell and BP not operating in Russia and Europe banning Russian oil.

Yes, it's a BIG step to take as is pretty much the West's "Nuclear Option" from an Economic perspective, as while we'll do pretty bad damage to Russia, we'll also do ourselves very serious damage at a time when there's already a global recession looming and potential hyper inflation on the horizon.

Yes, it's a BIG step to take as is pretty much the West's "Nuclear Option" from an Economic perspective, as while we'll do pretty bad damage to Russia, we'll also do ourselves very serious damage at a time when there's already a global recession looming and potential hyper inflation on the horizon.
"Stagflation, come on down.!!!!!"................

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Great Reset on roids. 

Edited by Detournement

7 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
19 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

"Stagflation, come on down.!!!!!"................

Totally, we've just been kicking the can down the road for the past 20 years and I'm afraid all our chickens could be coming home to roost at the worst possible time.

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Reports coming in his second in command was severely injured, Ivada Ballshotov.

That's just nuts or should that be nut ??

Totally, we've just been kicking the can down the road for the past 20 years and I'm afraid all our chickens could be coming home to roost at the worst possible time.
European war, climate crisis, refugee crisis, food security crisis, energy crisis, economic crisis.
Trump back in WH in 2024.......

What's not to like........

The oil and gas thing is all about convincing Russia they'll lose massively unless they come to a quick peaceful settlement that Ukraine can accept. It might be a short term bluff about stopping fuel and other imports from Russia but if Europe can set up alternative supply chains in the medium to long term, Russia will be forced to spend a fortune on boosting their supply infrastructure to China etc and China will be able to name their own price. Russia is hugely reliant on exporting raw materials, they can't afford to lose the richest markets.

No one really has an answer to what Russia can 'afford' to lose. They survived the 90s and were able to rebuild the state despite billionaires and western capital looting it. They are starting from a far higher base here and don't have to worry about wealth leaking west. 

The real question for people like us should be what am I prepared to lose and do we have any say in it?

Edited by Detournement

15 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Covid spreading like wildfire among Russian forces, according to spokesman Ivan Nastikoff. 

(Reaches for coat.) 

Reminds me of the time I dated the Russian 10-pin bowling champion - Nockola Pinsova.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

No one really has an answer to what Russia can 'afford' to lose. They survived the 90s and were able to rebuild the state despite billionaires and western capital looting it. They are starting from a far higher base here and don't have to worry about wealth leaking west. 

The real question for people like us should be what am I prepared to lose and do we have any say in it?

Isn't it more about what the men behind Putin are prepared to accept in terms of loss of wealth? 

It'll be interesting to see what knocks they are prepared to take before it's "decision time" about who is Russia's front man and how Russia reaches a secure long-term financial future.

Edited by Dev

Just now, welshbairn said:

London estate agents would tend to differ.

I mean that capital outflows will be lower now than previously. They are still going to be able to sell oil and gas to the majority of the global population who hasn't sanctioned them.

They might be starting from a higher base in that they have (had?) a $640bn reserve, according to news reports, but it might be fair to say that if World sanctions are really biting, inflation and a war plus loss of exports could munch through this pretty rapidly.
Bigger question I think is what / who comes after Putin?
And yes, we will be doing some serious belt-tightening and resetting.

1 minute ago, Dev said:

Isn't it more about what the men behind Putin are prepared to accept in terms of loss of wealth? 

No because the people who really weild power in Russia aren't the 'oligarchs' it's the security state. And they aren't the ones buying super yachts.