Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Going back to nuclear isn't exactly a quick fix. 

Not a quick fix, no, but it should always have remained part of the discussion and this highlights one more reason for that being the case.

21 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Call me mushy and sentimental - but my five year old niece likes to sing this tune.  This girl can sing it in Ukrainian.

I hate that film so much that I'm rooting for the Russians now.

38 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Dunno about anyone else, but I won't be able to afford to put the heating on next winter anyway, so f**k it.

Put all your heating on full blast now whilst prices as still low. Collect and store the heat in bin bags and keep them in your shed and then release it back into your house later in the winter when its needed. Hey Presto! cheap heat!

Peter Toddrie

Aberdeen

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Put all your heating on full blast now whilst prices as still low. Collect and store the heat in bin bags and keep them in your shed and then release it back into your house later in the winter when its needed. Hey Presto! cheap heat!

Peter Toddrie

Aberdeen

I can always burn my Viz annuals to heat water  :thumsup2

12 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Peter Toddrie

Aberdeen

Same thing works if you freeze boiling water to use in your cooking later.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

22 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Peter Toddrie

Aberdeen

Off to a dinner party this weekend, will bear this in mind...

‘Beyond understanding’: Odesa braced to see if Putin attacks city of such resonance for Russians

“I don’t know what kind of a b*****d, idiot or scumbag you have to be to press the button for missiles to fall on Odesa,” said the city’s mayor, Gennady Trukhanov, in an interview at a building in the centre of the city where he has moved for security reasons. “It’s beyond the limits of my understanding.”

Trukhanov is a good example. Formerly a member of president Viktor Yanukovych’s Party of Regions, Trukhanov has been dogged by allegations of corruption, links to organised crime and to Russia. He denies all the allegations, and has been forced to deny repeated claims that he had a Russian passport.

Now he has become an unlikely champion of Ukrainian sovereignty. In response to Putin’s claim that the Russian military assault was meant to defend Russian speakers, Trukhanov posed a rhetorical question in a video address: “Who the f**k are you planning to defend here?”

On Sunday, he wore the armband of yellow tape that denotes Ukrainian forces in this war over his jacket, and a grey peaked cap over his permanently furrowed brow. He rubbished Putin’s claim that the war against Ukraine was one of “denazification”, and said it was Putin’s Russia that was behaving like fascists.

“Bombing Kharkiv. Who would do that? Only Nazis,” he said.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

I see Lorna Slater has wrote a letter to the Russian consulate asking them to stop.

That’ll sort it out.

I'm sure I read last week that the Scottish Government has pension funds invested in Russia, she's shitting it in case her new found wealth is fucked.

4 hours ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Not only is our governments response to the Ukrainian refugee crisis woefully inadequate, but we're also mewling at Ireland for letting too many in.

Ffs I thought we had taken back control!

Russia says they will cut the gas off if we stop the flow of oil, but in practice will we really need to officially stop the flow of oil if BP follow Shell?

That would be the big hitters leaving Russia alone which will decimate their exports I don't imagine anyone comes close to exporting the amount of oil that BP and Shell do.

25 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Bringing Vlad down one Take-a-break tip at a time. 🇺🇦 

When there's no gas for the heating, wrap up in your heaviest winter clothes and boots. Pause a YouTube video of St. Basil's cathedral and march up and down in the living room shouting obscenities about Putin. Hey presto! Warm and exercised.

17 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I'm sure I read last week that the Scottish Government has pension funds invested in Russia, she's shitting it in case her new found wealth is fucked.

Technically we all had pension funds invested in Russia as BP or British Gas / Centrica would most likely be in every fund Manager's portfolio.

Abrdn themselves had a pretty large exposure to both Russia and Belorus.

21 minutes ago, 101 said:

Russia says they will cut the gas off if we stop the flow of oil, but in practice will we really need to officially stop the flow of oil if BP follow Shell?

That would be the big hitters leaving Russia alone which will decimate their exports I don't imagine anyone comes close to exporting the amount of oil that BP and Shell do.

Apart from the Russian companies I believe TOTAL and Chevron are also pretty big in Russia ?