Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

45 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-putin-revamped-military-ukraine-invasion-11647469602

Article about difficulties Russian forces have faced. Interesting point about railways - they have clearly been important and Ukraine holding junction cities. The railways are still operating which is insane. You can get an overnight train from Lviv to Odessa and trains have been leaving Kharkiv. Imagine Scotrail operating during a massive war.

Read something from an official Russian source about how controlling Kherson would be great because of the railway junction for logistics, can't find it now, it's proper WW1 and 2 stuff. Still curious about the relative absence of the Russian air force, is it because the NATO supplied anti aircraft weaponry Ukraine got is too dangerous, or Putin held them back because he promised it would be as easy as sending the little green men into Crimea, or just that the entire Russian military has shown itself to be a bit shite and representative of their Italy level economy, keeping their UN Security Council membership only because of warehouses full of rusty nukes, bit like the UK?

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Read something from an official Russian source about how controlling Kherson would be great because of the railway junction for logistics, can't find it now, it's proper WW1 and 2 stuff. Still curious about the relative absence of the Russian air force, is it because the NATO supplied anti aircraft weaponry Ukraine got is too dangerous, or Putin held them back because he promised it would be as easy as sending the little green men into Crimea, or just that the entire Russian military has shown itself to be a bit shite and representative of their Italy level economy, keeping their UN Security Council membership only because of warehouses full of rusty nukes, bit like the UK?

I've seen a variety of explanations

- That the Russian Air Force don't have experience in flying complex missions and they can't technically do it or they don't have enough pilots with experience.

- That the initial missile attacks on Day 1 didn't really damage Ukraine's air defences and they have continued to operate them at full capacity for the duration.

- The Russian Air Force don't have enough precision guided weapons and haven't flown missions as the Russians have prefered to use missile attacks and artillery.

- Due to technical constraints they have to fly lower and are thus more vulnerable to air defences.  This leads to more losses and greater reluctance to use air power.

- One other explanation is that the Russians have a higher level of air supiority than you'd think - they currently fly around ten times as many sorties as the Ukrainian Air Force every day. 

The thing that really shocks me is that the Ukrainians are still using TB2s - I know I go on about it but every assessment I read of those drones in relation to this war and to the war in Karabakh was that they wouldn't work against a modern air force, who would shoot them down and jam them into uselessness.  One assessment I read said that they would likely be done in the first hour of any war.  Russian UAV use was also pretty low in the early days of the war, they are appearing more now though.

There was a podcast I listened to a week or so ago, primarily about the idea of a no-fly zone and the two guys doing it said that suppressing air defence systems is actually very hard.  NATO couldn't do it in Kosovo and that was in a much smaller area than Ukraine, with a higher quality air powers and lower quality air defence systems.  The Yugoslav air defence managed to shoot down a stealth bomber in that war, I think they downed a few other NATO planes as well.  It's actually really hard.  

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

For a guy who is vehemently anti-Nazi, rambling on like a fucking madman about 'cleansing of society' to make a country purer is a wee bit of an eyebrow raiser.

Yeah, all the "FFS, he's not Hitler" people must be wishing he'd shut the f**k up and stop weakening their case.

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

- That the Russian Air Force don't have experience in flying complex missions and they can't technically do it or they don't have enough pilots with experience.

- That the initial missile attacks on Day 1 didn't really damage Ukraine's air defences and they have continued to operate them at full capacity for the duration.

- The Russian Air Force don't have enough precision guided weapons and haven't flown missions as the Russians have prefered to use missile attacks and artillery.

- Due to technical constraints they have to fly lower and are thus more vulnerable to air defences.  This leads to more losses and greater reluctance to use air power.

- One other explanation is that the Russians have a higher level of air supiority than you'd think - they currently fly around ten times as many sorties as the Ukrainian Air Force every day. 

The thing that really shocks me is that the Ukrainians are still using TB2s - I know I go on about it but every assessment I read of those drones in relation to this war and to the war in Karabakh was that they wouldn't work against a modern air force, who would shoot them down and jam them into uselessness.  One assessment I read said that they would likely be done in the first hour of any war.  Russian UAV use was also pretty low in the early days of the war, they are appearing more now though.

There was a podcast I listened to a week or so ago, primarily about the idea of a no-fly zone and the two guys doing it said that suppressing air defence systems is actually very hard.  NATO couldn't do it in Kosovo and that was in a much smaller area than Ukraine, with a higher quality air powers and lower quality air defence systems.  The Yugoslav air defence managed to shoot down a stealth bomber in that war, I think they downed a few other NATO planes as well.  It's actually really hard.  

With all due respect Chris, can you not get unnaturally obsessed with your fitba team like the rest of us on here? 

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

With all due respect Chris, can you not get unnaturally obsessed with your fitba team like the rest of us on here? 

Trying to think of an air defence joke in relation to Shane Sutherland.

The way that the press are reporting things, they are portraying the Russian military as being slightly inept and taking a bit of a hiding. Don’t see a lot of reports about Ukrainian military losses. Things might change when Putin sends in the football hooligans…

43 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The thing that really shocks me is that the Ukrainians are still using TB2s - I know I go on about it but every assessment I read of those drones in relation to this war and to the war in Karabakh was that they wouldn't work against a modern air force, who would shoot them down and jam them into uselessness. 

They managed to handle very complex rules in Syria to avoid direct contact with NATO air forces, apart from the odd incident with Turkey.

Maybe they're not very good at detecting and shooting down tiny things or mobile jamming? 

In Syria they ended up using homemade barrel bombs pretty effectively, precision guided bombs are hugely expensive and even the West only use them when the cameras are on. I remember when the first Iraq war was on and all the videos were shown of bombs going down chimneys and the like, and a film crew showed a UK RAF base loading transporter planes with pallets of WW2 style gravity bombs. Next day filming was banned.

28 minutes ago, supermik said:

The way that the press are reporting things, they are portraying the Russian military as being slightly inept and taking a bit of a hiding. Don’t see a lot of reports about Ukrainian military losses. Things might change when Putin sends in the football hooligans…

This is the impression I get of the Russian army marching into the Ukraine!

csgo-lmao.gif.50028f23041065cad4279680bf95510a.gif

Which of his many faces will Putin present for these discussions?

The second category is where the difficulty will lie, and in his phone call, Mr Putin said that it would need face-to-face negotiations between him and President Zelensky before agreement could be reached on these points.

Ukraine conflict: Putin lays out his demands in Turkish phone call - BBC News