Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

35 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Maybe HIMARS has entered the picture?

Snake Island is so weird.  It's a piece of land that was previously notable for being subject to a dispute on whether it was an island or a rock, now it seems the Russians are reinforcing it and it's getting hit repeatedly by Ukraine.  I guess it shows the importance of the naval blockade of the ports still under Ukrainian control.  If this is the first use of a new missile or rocket system it just underlines the significance of it.

Some reports that Ukraine has bombed gas rigs in the Black Sea.  These rigs were initially bought by Ukraine in the early 2010s but Russia took control of them following the takeover of Crimea in 2014.  

56 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Boy at work's daughter is at Uni in Texas and the Ukrainian boy on her course has just been called home to fight.  Horrific. 

At least he'll have decent combat experience dealing with the waves of mass shooters. 

I see BJ is talking about how we need to be prepared for this lasting years and is worried that there is "Ukraine fatigue" setting in amongst people.
Surely he can't be surprised that people are seeing the cost of living sky rocket, realise that the sanctions / the war itself are a major contributing factor to this, and might prefer if Western powers focused more on finding a way to secure a cessation of hostilities, rather than helping Ukraine prolong the conflict indefinitely.
Typing "I stand with Ukraine [emoji1255] [emoji1317]" is all well and good, but we'll see just how many people really do care beyond pontificating for likes on social media when the reality of "standing with Ukraine" is that they can no longer afford to eat, heat their homes, travel to work, pay their mortgage, and go on holiday.
99.9% of Joe Public will have wanted this to stop from day 1 and it will take some massive upswell by the general population in numerous key western nations to even get the governments of these countries to even consider trying to bring it to an end. This is a godsend to NATO and the west. Ukraine being willing to continue a war that it weakening Russia militarily and economically with zero risk to 'are brave boys is something they have wished for and dreamt of for nigh on 80 years. Anyone that thinks these countries are going to stop drip feeding (that's essential what it amounts to) weapons to keep this going for as long as Ukraine is willing to accept the losses and destruction to its nation is naive in the extreme. There will be no mass protest least not in the UK and Johnson and his cronies know it hence why he is constantly getting the message out to prepare for a long war, the longer the better as far as these leaders are concerned. It also gives the UKG a perfect vehicle to deflect from Brexit effects.

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Boy at work's daughter is at Uni in Texas and the Ukrainian boy on her course has just been called home to fight.  Horrific. 

What happens if they decide to dingy the order? Do the INS get notified to deport them?

Been casually wondering that for a while, as my son can claim US nationality if he chooses. If he did, it's a slight worry that the Americans could demand that he be shipped over there if they ended up in another Vietnam-style shitshow and were desperate for cannon fodder.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

What happens if they decide to dingy the order? Do the INS get notified to deport them?

Been casually wondering that for a while, as my son can claim US nationality if he chooses. If he did, it's a slight worry that the Americans could demand that he be shipped over there if they ended up in another Vietnam-style shitshow and were desperate for cannon fodder.

I'd imagine these days they would write an algorithm that identified sociopaths who go to the gym regularly for any mobilisation rather than call up Gen Z en mass and waste resources filtering out all the useless wee guys.

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I wonder where does that European court of human rights stand on people being forced to die for their country. 

And equality. Men have to die but women don't.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'd imagine these days they would write an algorithm that identified sociopaths who go to the gym regularly for any mobilisation rather than call up Gen Z en mass and waste resources filtering out all the useless wee guys.

Quite chuffed that you assume I haven't raised an identified sociopath TBH.

19 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Quite chuffed that you assume I haven't raised an identified sociopath TBH.

I didn't make any assumptions. If the boy has been into your DVDs he'll probably make the cut.

A Dirty Dozen remake but they use internet browsing history to put the squad together is my movie pitch.  

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

I didn't make any assumptions. If the boy has been into your DVDs he'll probably make the cut.

A Dirty Dozen remake but they use internet browsing history to put the squad together is my movie pitch.  

It's either that or you're implying he's a useless wee guy, in which case I will have my satisfaction, sir!

Not sure how much the Dirty Dozen would've got done if they'd kept stopping to eat the dead and shag their eye sockets, but I'd certainly watch it. Could make for a good double-bill with a Matrix remake rewritten by 4chan.

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I wonder where does that European court of human rights stand on people being forced to die for their country. 

And equality. Men have to die but women don't.

Article 4 of the ECHR states that compulsory military service is not a breach of human rights.

23 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

There has been a bit of warmongering rhetoric today tbh - The head of the Army was quoted earlier as saying UK troops "must be prepared for war in Europe"

UK only has 100,000 troops.

Draft would be 18-55 BTW...