Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Ukraine have claimed to have shot down four Russian attack helicopters this morning in Kherson.

Russian telegram channels are posting about it too so seems like it is, at least, partially true.

Ukrainian troops have also liberated several settlements in Kherson, not sure how far they have advanced though. Could be clearing up after prior advances.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Ukraine have claimed to have shot down four Russian attack helicopters this morning in Kherson.

Russian telegram channels are posting about it too so seems like it is, at least, partially true.

Ukrainian troops have also liberated several settlements in Kherson, not sure how far they have advanced though. Could be clearing up after prior advances.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/12/ukraine-crowdfunding-kamikaze-drones-russian-attack-cities-military

"A crowdfunding appeal that was launched after Russian attacks on cities across the country on Monday has raised $9.6m (£8.7m) in 24 hours for the purchase of kamikaze drones for the Ukrainian armed forces.

An initial 50 Ram II drones, unmanned aerial vehicles with a 3kg explosive payload, designed and built by Ukrainian companies, will be bought with the money, along with three control stations."

1 hour ago, renton said:

So, is this a one off deal or an ongoing thing? Like, if you do your extensive and novel research once does that get you an equity card for life? Or do you have to have some kind of semi regular output, and if so on what cadence? At what point does someone become an ex-historian?

Based on those criteria, I reckon I qualify almost by mistake...years ago I got a short-term research contract with the economic history department of Glasgow Uni...the big departmental project at that point was an academic reference book. They were chronically short of authors for the various chapters, so I said "I'LL dae one" and breenged ahead. It involved collating and absorbing the various source material while synthesising it into something coherent and readable, so tick there, and providing an interpretation of what I found...tick again. It was actually quite good fun - the big contribution I made to the corpus of human knowledge was that Andrew Grieg Barr didn't actually come up with the Irn Bru recipe...it came from a relative who ran the parent company AG Barr calved off from.

Probably falls down a bit on peer review as it went straight to book publication, although it was okayed by the departmental prof who also added a couple of nuggets regarding abstruse late 19th century company law that I couldn't have been reasonably expected to be aware of.

6 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Based on those criteria, I reckon I qualify almost by mistake...years ago I got a short-term research contract with the economic history department of Glasgow Uni...the big departmental project at that point was an academic reference book. They were chronically short of authors for the various chapters, so I said "I'LL dae one" and breenged ahead. It involved collating and absorbing the various source material while synthesising it into something coherent and readable, so tick there, and providing an interpretation of what I found...tick again. It was actually quite good fun - the big contribution I made to the corpus of human knowledge was that Andrew Grieg Barr didn't actually come up with the Irn Bru recipe...it came from a relative who ran the parent company AG Barr calved off from.

Probably falls down a bit on peer review as it went straight to book publication, although it was okayed by the departmental prof who also added a couple of nuggets regarding abstruse late 19th century company law that I couldn't have been reasonably expected to be aware of.

Congratulations, here's your equity card which get's you 10% off at Blackwells and pick up your tweed jacket at the door.

1 minute ago, Hillonearth said:

I'm in as long as I don't have to smoke a pipe or have those daft wee leather patches on my elbows.

Platinum members only: You need to host 6 part BBC series for that.

9 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

News from Thailand, is that Putin is coming to visiting in November.

Can't see it happening.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2412293/putin-to-attend-apec-summit

Wonder if he'll go to Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy?

Striaght to Patpong and the lady boys IMO.

11 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

News from Thailand, is that Putin is coming to visiting in November.

Can't see it happening.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2412293/putin-to-attend-apec-summit

Wonder if he'll go to Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy?

I'm going to Boo the f**k out of him, it will be like a St Mirren game only with humidity and people with nice smiles.

7 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I'm going to Boo the f**k out of him, it will be like a St Mirren game only with humidity and people with nice smiles.

You're on the list!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2412151/troublemakers-being-watched-closely-ahead-of-apec-summit