Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fair comment.  Opposition fans will only see the football side though and I guess that Dons fans only really care about that too.

It’s undoubtedly the most important part. However, it shouldn’t be ignored that he’s delivered on a new training ground, put in plans for a new ground at the beach, brought in millions of pounds investment, upped the football budget continuously, given the fans a stand behind the goal for a bit of atmosphere etc. I think the football structure we’re putting in place will serve us well in the long term too, although results need to improve.

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

It’s undoubtedly the most important part. However, it shouldn’t be ignored that he’s delivered on a new training ground, put in plans for a new ground at the beach, brought in millions of pounds investment, upped the football budget continuously, given the fans a stand behind the goal for a bit of atmosphere etc. I think the football structure we’re putting in place will serve us well in the long term too, although results need to improve.

Aye, makes this appointment decision one he can't afford to get wrong.  Nobody mentioned thus far will guarantee that he will get it right.

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Could you do that data for all SPFL clubs?  Would be interesting to see.  Of course, feel free to tell me to f**k off too.

image.thumb.png.4814dab4da54a279845d17d82add9e77.png

Apologies to supporters of other teams than those covered, if you are keen to see where you end up by all means do the last 17 seasons. I kept to to teams who are in and out of the top division for the majority of the time. Started doing Livvy but then they went to the third and I couldn't be arsed.

Killie's average will go up this year as their restricted by maximum of 13th. If they fail to win the 2nd tier and Dundee United get 7th or better they leapfrog them. The Arabs time in the Championship like Hibs really hurt their average. St Johnstone's record from 2010 on is pretty remarkably consistent but this year will drive them into AV Placing of +9 barring a miracle. Buddies just hold on to top 12 status by a bawhair. As covered, everything skewed a little by the currants being fly.

29 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

image.thumb.png.4814dab4da54a279845d17d82add9e77.png

Apologies to supporters of other teams than those covered, if you are keen to see where you end up by all means do the last 17 seasons. I kept to to teams who are in and out of the top division for the majority of the time. Started doing Livvy but then they went to the third and I couldn't be arsed.

Killie's average will go up this year as their restricted by maximum of 13th. If they fail to win the 2nd tier and Dundee United get 7th or better they leapfrog them. The Arabs time in the Championship like Hibs really hurt their average. St Johnstone's record from 2010 on is pretty remarkably consistent but this year will drive them into AV Placing of +9 barring a miracle. Buddies just hold on to top 12 status by a bawhair. As covered, everything skewed a little by the currants being fly.

I refuse to believe after some of the ridiculously bad football I've witnessed from AFC over those years that the worst we've conspired to finish is 9th. That is a truly shameful indictment on Scottish Football.

Edited by Illgresi

25 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I refuse to believe after some of the ridiculously bad football I've witnessed from AFC over those years that the worst we've conspired to finish is 9th. That is a truly shameful indictment on Scottish Football.

When you learn to accept that outside the OF (as they operate on a different level) the rest of us are shite, the only real difference is how much each of our clubs pay for that shite.

What was going on in the 9, 9, 9, 8 seasons? Was that peak Mutley?

41 minutes ago, gudge1903 said:

Interesting read kapowzer, the Edinburgh clubs are serious and serial under achievers for being supposedly big clubs. Must make difficult reading for their fans. Although they do seem to be very easily pleased.

It's all about context though, I did it based on 2004-05 because Calderwood was mentioned and I didn't think the comparison made with McInnes was fair.

You do it from 2010 onwards and Hibs and Hearts go up, Dundee United's don't change that much despite the Championship for 3 seasons due to a bad run at of 3x 9th's at the start. St Johnstone's is equal with Motherwell as joint 3rd in that table and Ross County jump just under 3 average places from 13.41 to 10.75 Just shows the 2010's are probably a decade the Edinburgh teams were happy to get out the way.

It was a decade of the diddies.

As the Olympics is on (Championship medals don't count):

image.png.e38e26fe8af9079b11652f817219cf75.png

Edited by Kapowzer

17 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Fair play to Aberdeen for actually trying to get Knutsen but you can’t go from that to “we’ll just go for *insert classic Scottish manager jobber* instead”

They need to keep looking abroad IMO.

You do know that Knutsen is a Norwegian manager jobber , who has previously been sacked by other clubs ?

48 minutes ago, gudge1903 said:

Interesting read kapowzer, the Edinburgh clubs are serious and serial under achievers for being supposedly big clubs. Must make difficult reading for their fans. Although they do seem to be very easily pleased.

Under achievers in league positions for sure, but no-one had an open-top bus parade for second place. What if we compare actual trophies won for the same period (excluding Celtic & The Other obvs...), how do The Famous Aberdeen fare compared to Edinburgh (and Leith) not to mention St Johnstone, Livi, Ross County and ICT?

28 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

When you learn to accept that outside the OF (as they operate on a different level) the rest of us are shite, the only real difference is how much each of our clubs pay for that shite.

What was going on in the 9, 9, 9, 8 seasons? Was that peak Mutley?

It's all about context though, I did it based on 2004-05 because Calderwood was mentioned and I didn't think the comparison made with McInnes was fair.

You do it from 2010 onwards and Hibs and Hearts go up, Dundee United's don't change that much despite the Championship for 3 seasons due to a bad run at of 3x 9th's at the start. St Johnstone's is equal with Motherwell as joint 3rd in that table and Ross County jump just under 3 average places from 13.41 to 10.75 Just shows the 2010's are probably a decade the Edinburgh teams were happy to get out the way.

It was a decade of the diddies.

As the Olympics is on (Championship medals don't count):

image.png.e38e26fe8af9079b11652f817219cf75.png

2010 was McGhee's first season, and he was sacked at some point during the 2011 when he had us dropping like a stone. Brooner was brought in and saved us from relegation then did little to improve the situation until McInnes' first season in 2013/14.

That table shows if AFC and Edinburgh clubs are honest that Motherwell deserve a hell of a lot more respect and credit than we all currently give them.

Edit to say - it shows how a well run club can seriously punch above it weight in finances, definitely deserve more credit than the three of us.

All probably achieved on a budget of a third of the other 3s average. 

How much credit should go to Alan Burrows? (sure that's the guy) Maybe he's the man bigger clubs should be chasing?

Edited by gudge1903

13 minutes ago, gudge1903 said:

That table shows if AFC and Edinburgh clubs are honest that Motherwell deserve a hell of a lot more respect and credit than we all currently give them.

Edit to say - it shows how a well run club can seriously punch above it weight in finances, definitely deserve more credit than the three of us.

All probably achieved on a budget of a third of the other 3s average. 

How much credit should go to Alan Burrows? (sure that's the guy) Maybe he's the man bigger clubs should be chasing?

Motherwell are one of Scottish football’s big cheats. Spent beyond their means and shafted their creditors. They deserve no respect. 

3 minutes ago, gudge1903 said:

Just perception though isn't it. We're a town and outside Glasgow but we do go under the radar. Granted we've avoided complete shitshows but in this country one bad season could end up with you seeing the next 10 as a Falkirk, Dunfermline or Partick Thistle.

Maybe a better table will be before The Rangers International Football Club were cast asunder 2004-2012, during that period the league title switched hands evenly which is kinda what history has taught us.

image.png.a1c9cc7ecd4890ec2aa22ae00057b52c.png

Of course teams that were decent then have fallen away and replaced by the up until this year, a solid St Johnstone.

8 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

2010 was McGhee's first season, and he was sacked at some point during the 2011 when he had us dropping like a stone. Brooner was brought in and saved us from relegation then did little to improve the situation until McInnes' first season in 2013/14.

That was around the time of that that famous press conference where he lost it and just kicked pack with his arms behind his head. Zero Fucks given. Did he also pivot on the back to legs of his chair?

Only outdone by the "you know?" press conference after the 9-0 Celtic loss.

We were raging when we lost Jack & Victor, they'd taken us on a remarkable run of something like 13 wins from 11 games before they were poached. Wee Craigie also wanted a bonus for getting to the cup final, told to do one by Boyle.