Doonhamers vs. Red Lichties

We didn’t deserve the win there at all 

missing a few key players but nowhere near deserving of a win there 

I don't that's even debatable. I'd say it's more debatable you didn't deserve a point.

Though as much as our finishing was poor, Arbroath's defending at times was excellent.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't that's even debatable. I'd say it's more debatable you didn't deserve a point.

Though as much as our finishing was poor, Arbroath's defending at times was excellent.

We are the top scorers in the league but there is absolutely no doubt that it’s our defence that is the main reason we are where we are.

Probably deserved the three points but our finishing and decision making was very poor at times. How we didn’t score in the first half with the breakaway chance was comical but I wasn’t doing much laughing. Fitzpatrick was so greedy and if you don’t pass you have to score or at least make the keeper pull off a great stop, the fact he didn’t even get a shot away was unforgivable.  

Second half was fairly cagey until the last 10/15 where we started to create some good openings. I was right behind the Gordon shot and I still have no idea how Gaston got a fingertip to it, he seems to save his best performances for us especially at Palmerston.

Cameron was brilliant today and gave Little and O’Brien the run around at times which is impressive given how good they have been this season. They literally stood off him 2/3 times in that second half not even bothering to engage with him. 

Much improved performance but we have to start winning games if we want to escape bottom spot, 8th looks beyond us but the next two games will make the picture a good bit clearer. If Morton can be dragged back in or not. 

A much more positive Saturday evening though, there is a tiny bit of light coming through the dark clouds. 

WG deserves huge credit for getting a big reaction from the players today  and for setting us up in a 4-4-2 which should undoubtedly be our GO TO formation. Willie also had a great game today as did Cameron up front and I thought McKechnie was excellent considering it was effectively his first game. Everybody gave their all and we should have won that on chances created. O’Connor raised his game dramatically from previous outings as well.

The sad fact is that a draw is of little benefit to us. The league pattern has changed dramatically over past few weeks - our relegation rivals are stringing wins together and several top teams are consistently dropping points. 

9th place looks the best we can realistically hope for although todays performance gives us some faint hope.

Gutted we didn’t take all 3 when we deserved too, but before the game I just wanted to have something positive to cling onto and we certainly got that. I’d say 2 counter attacks that we should have done better with and Gordon’s shot that hit the bar, it’s a pity that ultimately the two chances from counter attacks fell to two men short of football at moment.

Josh Rae had next to nothing to do, bar flapping at the end dealt with everything competently. Johnston, as reported on, was on the end of probably a right tough week for him but thought he stuck to task well, if a bit poor in an attacking sense. Wullie was just what Wullie gives you at full back, best in league. A special mention to our two young centre halfs, O’Connor has came in for a lot of criticism since he signed on loan rightly so but I thought he was excellent yesterday, didn’t miss a lot and East very similar, makeshift centre half but he’s certainly learning the role. I hope if Grant Murray is our Assistant in waiting he can do a bit of work with both and hopefully we can get these performances week in, week out. McGrory, I player I rate anyway, seemed to take his game to another level in terms of trying to take dictate the game. Todd was his usual self, good in spells, goes quiet for spells but think he’s someone we need. Fitzpatrick and McKechnie constantly gave arbroath something to think about, got us on the front foot, with more game time both could prove big players. I thought Paton was quietly effective in his spell on park, and big Cameron run himself into the ground, held the ball up well, defended corners well. If were to be successful I do think we need to get closer to him but that’ll come.

It’s only one game, but happy with what we saw after a week of Wullie in charge. A huge game for ourselves next week, hopefully have Cooper and Connelly back.

19 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Don’t get too excited. We were poor, gifted you gilt edged chances and still could have won it. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Don’t think Arbroath really gifted us anything yesterday, the only thing you could maybe say was the chance where we kept the ball in (not sure if it was out or not from the far side) and then managed to cock up a what was a 3/4 on 1 🤦🏼‍♂️

Second half our two big chances came from nice passing in and around the edge of the box. Can’t really remember how the double chance came about late on so you may be right on that one. 

Edited by Broony88

1 hour ago, Broony88 said:

Don’t think Arbroath really gifted us anything yesterday, the only thing you could maybe say was the chance where we kept the ball in (not sure if it was out or not from the far side) and then managed to cock up a what was a 3/4 on 1 🤦🏼‍♂️

Second half our two big chances came from nice passing in and around the edge of the box. Can’t really remember how the double chance came about late on so you may be right on that one. 

It was clearly still in play and Craigen & McKenna both just stopped! I wanted them both subbed off right there and then. I think it was David Gold who burst a gut getting back to snuff out the chance. Goldy was superb yesterday. He just never stopped 

Edited by lichtie23

Don’t get too excited. We were poor, gifted you gilt edged chances and still could have won it. Good luck for the rest of the season.

We've watched this side long enough now to know it was as much to do with how well we played (if not more) rather than how badly Arbroath played. We've been garbage all season and yesterday was a massive improvement. If you played like that yesterday and we had AJ in charge we wouldn't have played as well. We certainly wouldn't have been knocking at the Arbroath goal in the final few minutes either. We'd have been sitting in for a point and more than likely lost a late goal (if Arbroath weren't already out of sight by then).

Don't think we deserved anything from the game, so thankful for a point.

Some great defending and goalkeeping kept us in the game - but overall it was a uninspiring performance ( with the exception of a few players).

All teams have off days, so to leave with a point under the circumstances was a decent result.

Hopefully back to normal next week and firing on all cylinders - can't complain, the players have all been outstanding all season.

Still top of the league with a game in hand - the dream continues.

On 19/02/2022 at 08:11, Estragon said:

Feel like this might be a banana skin for Arbroath today despite the relative quality of both sides - weird things can happen in new managers' first games. 

Called it.

Another extremely tough game at Morton next week. 

Keep them coming. 

Always rates him when at Morton. Still remember his save from Dobbie from just inside Queens half. Didn't know AJ stopped him from being at Palmerston.
It wasn't so much that he stopped him. He just didn't call him back and Arbroath came in with a 2 year deal while he was waiting and took the offer.

4 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Don't be a dick.  There's a good lad. 

I'm not seeing huge excitement to be honest, just recognition that yesterday was quite a bit better from us, than has recently been evident.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, TERREGLES1919 said:
Always rates him when at Morton. Still remember his save from Dobbie from just inside Queens half. Didn't know AJ stopped him from being at Palmerston.

It wasn't so much that he stopped him. He just didn't call him back and Arbroath came in with a 2 year deal while he was waiting and took the offer.

I see what you meant...

It’s absolutely crazy to me that we played so much of that game yesterday with Luke Donnelly and Davie Gold centre midfield

I cannot see why in a game like yesterday Bobby cannot get on the park until he’s brought on as a late substitution. We were crying out for a creative spark without Nicky Low.

extremely frustrating stuff that  

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s absolutely crazy to me that we played so much of that game yesterday with Luke Donnelly and Davie Gold centre midfield

I cannot see why in a game like yesterday Bobby cannot get on the park until he’s brought on as a late substitution. We were crying out for a creative spark without Nicky Low.

extremely frustrating stuff that  

Agree with that.

I just don't know what the management team see in Donnelly that the majority on the terraces don't.