Scotland squad face March 2022

Craigieboy86

7 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Only naming 4 centre backs (which includes Tierney) means he’s going to continue the nonsense of playing McTominay at the back - is Souttar injured?

Meanwhile we’ve got full-backs by the fcuking bucket load.

Couple of friendlies - chance to take a look at Gauld? Nah!

Fraser playing regularly for an in-form Newcastle team? Nah!

Irritating.

Given they’re friendlies I wouldn’t be surprised if Fraser indicated he couldn’t be arsed.

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
9 minutes ago, General dissaray said:
Been playing on the right though go and actually watch them like I do 

If you'd actually been watching him you'd know that he's started at RWB twice in the last two months, one of which he got moved at half-time. He did move over to right-back on Sunday towards the end of the game, having spent most of it on the left.

Either way he can play right back and will be much more of a attacking threat in the final third as SOD

9 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Good player but not the right time for him,would imagine he maybe get in for one of nations league games if we get any injuries to McGregor or Jack,he is in that kind of mould and some even say McGinn 

apart from you, who has said that? 😁

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Only naming 4 centre backs (which includes Tierney) means he’s going to continue the nonsense of playing McTominay at the back - is Souttar injured?

Meanwhile we’ve got full-backs by the fcuking bucket load.

Couple of friendlies - chance to take a look at Gauld? Nah!

Fraser playing regularly for an in-form Newcastle team? Nah!

Irritating.

Cooper and Souttar are injured he hasn't a lot to pick from that are good enough and as a Grand Father he probably doesn't like guys who attack women so hopefully Porteous will never get capped again 

Given Patterson could play next to no games between now and the playoffs and O’Donell has been pretty bad domestically Im surprised he hasn't included another right back with the play-offs in mind given both could be well out of match practice or form.

ETA - I am assuming Hickey is an option though there as there isn’t really much point calling him and Taylor up otherwise.

Edited by gannonball

Just now, gannonball said:

Given Patterson could play next to no games between now and the playoffs and O’Donell has been pretty bad domestically Im surprised he hasn't included another right back with the play-offs in mind given both could be well out of match practice and/or form.

Shrug. It's not like Patterson was getting loads of gametime for his club previously and he still came in and did well, over the piece. Clarke even said himself that the friendly nature of the games makes a difference here-

"Nathan Patterson got a fantastic move to Everton that hasn't quite worked out for him. It would have been difficult to pick Nathan for a competitive game being honest but going into a friendly situation it might be a chance for us to get minutes into Nathan's legs."

With O'Donnell, Clarke does like to stand by his players from previous camps. We've seen it enough, so it isn't really a surprise. We've also seen O'Donnell produce the goods for Scotland despite poor to middling domestic form before. Be great if one of the available back-ups were playing week in week out, that might strengthen the case for one of SOD or Patterson to be left out, but I don't think any are. RB remains, if not a problem position, then a position of concern. 

My word nothing like a squad announcement to squeeze so many absolute mares from the General into a short space.

Squad is very much a Steve Clarke squad, no real surprises at all and little emotion generated for me but good to see Hickey involved and the continued slow inclusion of new players continuing, slowly.

4 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Shrug. It's not like Patterson was getting loads of gametime for his club previously and he still came in and did well, over the piece. Clarke even said himself that the friendly nature of the games makes a difference here-

"Nathan Patterson got a fantastic move to Everton that hasn't quite worked out for him. It would have been difficult to pick Nathan for a competitive game being honest but going into a friendly situation it might be a chance for us to get minutes into Nathan's legs."

With O'Donnell, Clarke does like to stand by his players from previous camps. We've seen it enough, so it isn't really a surprise. We've also seen O'Donnell produce the goods for Scotland despite poor to middling domestic form before. Be great if one of the available back-ups were playing week in week out, that might strengthen the case for one of SOD or Patterson to be left out, but I don't think any are. RB remains, if not a problem position, then a position of concern. 

Tbh I get why he’s sticking with the status quo too for continuity and creating a club spirit as they say. Just think an extra right back might be worth a sniff at. I have stuck up for O’Donnell on here but he just looks likes he’s not switched on of late for Motherwell. Still in covid times though so no point having a bigger squad than needed.

If O'Donnell continues to play well for Scotland when called upon, as he absolutely did in the two qualifiers he played in September and November, then he could be scoring a hat-trick of own goals every week for Motherwell, it wouldn't matter a f**k. You don't drop players who are playing well for you.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Tbh I get why he’s sticking with the status quo too for continuity and creating a club spirit as they say. Just think an extra right back might be worth a sniff at. I have stuck up for O’Donnell on here but he just looks likes he’s not switched on of late for Motherwell. Still in covid times though so no point having a bigger squad than needed.

Yeah that's fair, I don't think another right back option would hurt. There's not really any other player battering down the door for the position, though, so I suppose it becomes easier to overlook or do without in such circumstances. 

Clarke getting these squads spot on, he picks the right moments to bring the younger ones in Like he has done with Hickey. 

Fraser seems to have had some sort of disagreement with Clarke and I would back the manager 100%. Nobody should pick and choose when they want to play.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If O'Donnell continues to play well for Scotland when called upon, as he absolutely did in the two qualifiers he played in September and November, then he could be scoring a hat-trick of own goals every week for Motherwell, it wouldn't matter a f**k. You don't drop players who are playing well for you.

A nice idea in theory but if the guys been playing out of sorts for months at not too high a level you can’t expect him to just turn it on against higher opposition. I appreciate teams like Northern Ireland used to do that with certain key players but he really isn’t that sort of player for us albeit he is underrated by many.