Scotland squad face March 2022

Craigieboy86

53 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think Craig Halkett has played four games this season as the LCB in a back four(Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd) - so maybe he is also the left sided cover.  

If it's the case that Andy Robertson is putting club before country should he face the same punishment as Ryan Fraser from Steve Clarke?

Did Fraser really get any punishment from Clarke? Though he hasn’t picked him, Clarke said the door was still open for him.

I suppose it does also depend on whether he does actually have Covid and has been able to prove it to the Scotland medical team. Tbf it’s harder to fake that given you get a clear set of dated results it’s does seem a big coincidence though.

Edited by Jambomo

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Did Fraser really get any punishment from Clarke? Though he hasn’t picked him, Clarke said the door was still open for him.

We're just connecting the dots and guessing that he might be pulling a sickie at the moment, he might be seriously ill with coronavirus. If however, it's true - then current precedent established by Ryan Fraser as far as a punishment goes is not being picked in the next squad and having to earn your place back through club form. 

Maybe the crime is getting caught? or maybe punishments and examples are only set to players deemed droppable. I hope if Andy Robertson is bluffing his ticket he's at least smart enough not to be caught or it will create problems for Steve Clarke and devalue the SFA attempts to sell these games as showing support to Ukraine. Not wanting to get into a long debate over this so I'll leave it there.

image.png.d7596559127613288d6e1e06c0795cae.png

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Wonder why Clarke has called up Halkett rather than Porteous when the latter has been in a couple of squads before and has been playing really well (no, I haven't seen anything from Hibs' game on Saturday). It would've also been beneficial to call up someone capable at LCB imo as Halkett now joins Hendry and Hanley as a CCB while Tierney is the only LCB. This probably means it's between Taylor and Hickey for the Poland game. 

You'd imagine Clark or McLaughlin will join Halkett and Stewart in these late call-ups. 

Halkett has been excellent for the whole season, potentially our best defender. He's definitely the one we've missed most when he's been absent, so I think it's fully merited, although I must admit I was a bit surprised he never went for someone he's already called up before as that's how he tends to work.

He could potentially play Hickey on the left of a 3 if he wanted Tierney to cover at wing back, he's played there before but I imagine it'll be the other way about.

21 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Halkett has been excellent for the whole season, potentially our best defender. He's definitely the one we've missed most when he's been absent, so I think it's fully merited, although I must admit I was a bit surprised he never went for someone he's already called up before as that's how he tends to work.

He could potentially play Hickey on the left of a 3 if he wanted Tierney to cover at wing back, he's played there before but I imagine it'll be the other way about.

After watching Hickey last night, I'd rather him not playing at CB. 

I can only presume that people who want Hickey to play centre-back haven't actually watched him play. He is a supremely talented footballer with great technical ability, but he is not a very good defender even for a modern full-back. When I've seen him play for Bologna he spends most of the game in the opposing half, even against better teams. That means he's really well-suited to the wing-back role in Scotland's 3-5-2, but he has absolutely none of the attributes required to play in the back three.

I could see Taylor playing there more easily, that would be a better fit, though his only issue is his height.

Edited by craigkillie

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I can only presume that people who want Hickey to play centre-back haven't actually watched him play. He is a supremely talented footballer with great technical ability, but he is not a very good defender even for a modern full-back. When I've seen him play for Bologna he spends most of the game in the opposing half, even against better teams. That means he's really well-suited to the wing-back role in Scotland's 3-5-2, but he has absolutely none of the attributes required to play in the back three.

I could see Taylor playing there more easily, that would be a better fit, though his only issue is his height.

I never said I wanted him to play there, I said he could but imagine he won't.  And yes I've seen him play, including a handful of occasions in a back 3 for Hearts and he's even tucked in there for Bologna this season mid-game. As for having absolutely none of the attributes for a back 3 I'd dispute that heavily, he reads the game well, is a decent height, competitive in the air and extremely confident on the ball which allows you to bring it out. He's certainly better fitted to it than Taylor. If it was a back 4 I'd say there's no chance he could play there, in a 3 he could and has done. 

Edited by Tony Wonder

2 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Would suggest Dykes is still coming along unless he pulled out before this and I missed it.

Odd if he does, when was the last time he played?  I automatically assumed Stewart was coming in to replace him.

I’d be pretty surprised if Dykes actually plays in a friendly after missing his club’s last seven games in the middle of a playoff fight.

Most likely Stewart has been brought in to cover his place in the team but Dykes has opted to come along in order to train for fitness and enjoy the experience of being in the squad.

Stewart for me should have been in the squad before now. He’s the best option we have as a big target man apart from Dykes. Che Adams, Jacob Brown and Ryan Christie are all more creative guys, dropping deep to get the ball and then beating men. But Stewart is our second best pure centre forward behind Lyndon Dykes. 

Edited by Donathan

I’m sure he’s improved, but I vividly remember Ross Stewart looking like an absolutely shite footballer whenever I watched him in Scotland, even when he was scoring goals.

It’s worth having a look at him, and his current goal scoring rate is impressive, but if both are fit, then Dykes starts every single time.

Craig Halkett is also much younger than I thought he was - had it in my head he was pushing 30. Good to see another option in central defence, although again I wouldn’t expect him to be much more than a squad player is everyone is fit. 

37 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m sure he’s improved, but I vividly remember Ross Stewart looking like an absolutely shite footballer whenever I watched him in Scotland, even when he was scoring goals.

It’s worth having a look at him, and his current goal scoring rate is impressive, but if both are fit, then Dykes starts every single time.

Craig Halkett is also much younger than I thought he was - had it in my head he was pushing 30. Good to see another option in central defence, although again I wouldn’t expect him to be much more than a squad player is everyone is fit. 

Tbh I couldn’t give a toss if he’s a shite footballer who scored goals. No one is suggesting playing him ahead of Dykes in a competitive game, just that it’s useful to have a similar player as a backup and someone we can shove on for 20 minutes if we are chasing a goal 

18 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Tbh I couldn’t give a toss if he’s a shite footballer who scored goals. No one is suggesting playing him ahead of Dykes in a competitive game, just that it’s useful to have a similar player as a backup and someone we can shove on for 20 minutes if we are chasing a goal 

Richard Foster said on Sportscene last night he is expecting Stewart to start against Poland alongside Che Adams. Given Richard Foster and Ross Stewart played together at Ross County in 2019 maybe Foster is in the know. 

Edited by 2426255

On 19/03/2022 at 21:08, 2426255 said:

I listed John Souttar as being cover for Grant Hanley and possibly Scott McTominay, which he was since he was only called up after the initial squad announcement. Are you saying John Souttar is a better player than those two?

Apologies for the delay.

Yes

On 21/03/2022 at 08:17, 2426255 said:

I think Craig Halkett has played four games this season as the LCB in a back four(Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd) - so maybe he is also the left sided cover.  

If it's the case that Andy Robertson is putting club before country should he face the same punishment as Ryan Fraser from Steve Clarke?

Halkett didn't play as LCB in any those games from my recollection.  

Edit:  having checked - he did start as left side in a 2 of the aberdeen and United games - the United game we ended up with him on the right though.

Playing left of a 2 is a lot different than left of a 3 though

Edited by Insert Amusing Pseudonym

11 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Halkett didn't play as LCB in any those games from my recollection.  

Edit:  having checked - he did start as left side in a 2 of the aberdeen and United games - the United game we ended up with him on the right though.

Playing left of a 2 is a lot different than left of a 3 though

I'm just suggesting him as possible cover at LCB in the mind of Steve Clarke.

• The alternative centre backs (Hendry, McTominay, Hanley) are less likely to play as the left centre back having already defined roles within the team.
  • Halkett is replacing our prior cover at LCB (McKenna).
  • Halkett has played a handful of games recently as LCB in a back four.
  • There isn't much support for the idea that either Taylor or Hickey could be cover at LCB.

So if not him, who else is there? I suppose we have seen it before when Anthony Ralston covered at LWB that Steve Clarke wouldn't be averse to just chucking on someone like Jack Hendry as cover in the case of an injury to Kieran Tierney, so maybe that's the plan - it's only a friendly.

Edited by 2426255

20 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Richard Foster said on Sportscene last night he is expecting Stewart to start against Poland alongside Che Adams. Given Richard Foster and Ross Stewart played together at Ross County in 2019 maybe Foster is in the know. 

I highly doubt that Clarke has already announced the team for Thursday and even if he had, I doubt Stewart’s first response would be to phone all his former teammates. I think Foster is just speculating. 

28 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I highly doubt that Clarke has already announced the team for Thursday and even if he had, I doubt Stewart’s first response would be to phone all his former teammates. I think Foster is just speculating. 

I can't give you any proof that Richard Foster knows anything, but it's possible in my view, they might be really close mates from their time at Ross County. As much as we like to pretend it's all really professional - these things do happen. Maybe he is just backing his mate - but I noticed he suggested it before Ross Stewart was officially announced as being called up to the Scotland National Team.

Doesn't really matter, we'll find out Thursday.

Edited by 2426255

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I'm just suggesting him as possible cover at LCB in the mind of Steve Clarke.

• The alternative centre backs (Hendry, McTominay, Hanley) are less likely to play as the left centre back having already defined roles within the team.
  • Halkett is replacing our prior cover at LCB (McKenna).
  • Halkett has played a handful of games recently as LCB in a back four.
  • There isn't much support for the idea that either Taylor or Hickey could be cover at LCB.

So if not him, who else is there? I suppose we have seen it before when Anthony Ralston covered at LWB that Steve Clarke wouldn't be averse to just chucking on someone like Jack Hendry as cover in the case of an injury to Kieran Tierney, so maybe that's the plan - it's only a friendly.

I'm not saying he won't try Halkett, but it's not a position he's got any experience of.  He's mostly been middle of a 3 this season, or right of a 4 with Souttar out.

In honesty it's why I was surprised they picked him over Kingsley who can do LCH in a 2 or 3 and is closest in style to Tierney

17 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I'm not saying he won't try Halkett, but it's not a position he's got any experience of.  He's mostly been middle of a 3 this season, or right of a 4 with Souttar out.

In honesty it's why I was surprised they picked him over Kingsley who can do LCH in a 2 or 3 and is closest in style to Tierney

You and me both. I thought Kingsley would have been a logical choice

Purely in terms of the footballing objectives of the camp and therefore the games, the messaging has been very consistent and these themes have been repeated regularly across interviews with Steve Clarke, Steven Naismith, Scott McTominay and Ryan Christie in the last few days.

• Get the bulk of the squad together after so long apart.
  • Refresh the players on how we play: our principles, tactics etc.
  • Help us to prepare for the games in June.
  • Maintain a positive momentum by continuing our unbeaten run.