Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

I have been experimenting this month and so far have not used the tumble dryer at all. Extra washing lines outside, so that any dry day I have stuff hanging out. Extra driers inside for rainy days. Hoping to last the month to see the effect.

Don't imagine this will work through the winter. But the dryer is, for me, the last thing to go on.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I have been experimenting this month and so far have not used the tumble dryer at all. Extra washing lines outside, so that any dry day I have stuff hanging out. Extra driers inside for rainy days. Hoping to last the month to see the effect.

Don't imagine this will work through the winter. But the dryer is, for me, the last thing to go on.

Never owned a tumble drier, it’s just me & the mrs, nae kids

never struggled without it

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Just got an email from EON, my direct debit is coming DOWN by £20 from next month.

A tad perplexed but not unhappy. 

Martin Lewis explained this last night, the sweet spot is about £125 a month, if that is what you pay at the moment on average over the course of a year then the £400 will basically cancel out the raise and leave your DD untouched. If you currently pay less than that (which am guessing you do) then you will actually pay less when that £400 is taken off hence the DD reduction.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Shell have finally told us what our new tariff will be. Our new summer usage will go from about £85 to £110 and our new winter usage will go from £120 to about £180. Might be able to get down to £150 if we can genuinely avoid using central heating.

Your electricity rates are changing from 27.838p to 33.763p per kWh and your standing charge per day is changing from 49.64p to 50.66p.

Your gas rates are changing from 7.335p to 10.276p per kWh and your standing charge per day is changing from 27.22p to 28.48p.

That doesn't sound right to me with them raising your DD, from what Lewis said last night anyone currently paying less than £125 a month the £400 rebate should cover the raise, you are clearly less than that at £85/£120. I'd go looking for a broken down explanation of their new DD figures.

3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

My direct debit has been reduced from £71 to £27. It has been a pleasant surprise to open that email.

(I live in a house, a very wee house in the country, watching afternoon repeats with an air source heat pump, and can't remember how to switch the heating on. In the country.)

I've just had email reducing mine from £98 to £48. 

4 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

Martin Lewis explained this last night, the sweet spot is about £125 a month, if that is what you pay at the moment on average over the course of a year then the £400 will basically cancel out the raise and leave your DD untouched. If you currently pay less than that (which am guessing you do) then you will actually pay less when that £400 is taken off hence the DD reduction.

Interesting cheers, but I'm actually a little more than that. Currently £190pcm dropping to £170.

few notes from Thailand.

petrol has gone DOWN 10 baht this week (back to normal)....£0.88 per L

food prices have also dropped

electricity will still rise by 15% on 1st Oct. (Government say only for 3 months then back to normal)

Edited by SlipperyP

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

How do you dry clothes?

In my case, screens in the spare bedroom, occassionally stick something on the radiator if required quickly. I realise not everyone has a spare bedroom to do this though and when you have a family of 5 or whatever waiting 2-3 for clothes to dry naturally at room temp wouldn't really be an option.

British Gas seem to be doing things differently from others (eg E-On) in that for the 6 months from October 22 to March 23 they will take your monthly direct debit but will then immediately refund you £67. Since my DD is currently £59 I have to assume that they'll refund me £59 and credit my account with the other £8.

Seems a strange way to do it, I rather they just credited my account with the £67 each month.

Does anyone know what's happening with the Warm Home Discount? My mother is 80 and got the £140 credited to her account last year. I know it increased to £150 but with all the other CoL money making the headlines, the WHD seems to have been buried.

41 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

British Gas seem to be doing things differently from others (eg E-On) in that for the 6 months from October 22 to March 23 they will take your monthly direct debit but will then immediately refund you £67. Since my DD is currently £59 I have to assume that they'll refund me £59 and credit my account with the other £8.

Seems a strange way to do it, I rather they just credited my account with the £67 each month.

Yeah, Octopus doing the same. Means I will just have to make a manual payment each month for the £66 refunded back to me as I would prefer it to remain in my energy account. A two min job each month I suppose, not the end of the world.

Edited by bobbykdy