Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

I don't think that's legal any more
It would be way too difficult to organise unless numerous unions were willing to go wildcat, which would undermine their very existence.

Of course, we have the people who shriek about striking workers to thank for this over the years.

You have to be legally in dispute to then hold a ballot for action. How do you go into dispute with your company over the actions of a government.... The unions probably need to issue a joint statement maybe via the Trade Union Congress around targeted and coordinated action in protest against the cost of living, but I don't know how they could make that work. I am sure they must be thinking about it, but we basically need to be fighting what would be a proxy war here.

Meanwhile, we have Liz Truss promising to further clamp down on trade unions, and a nation who, going by the form guide, will elect her in a couple of years time with a thumping majority.

54 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It would be way too difficult to organise unless numerous unions were willing to go wildcat, which would undermine their very existence.

Of course, we have the people who shriek about striking workers to thank for this over the years.

You have to be legally in dispute to then hold a ballot for action. How do you go into dispute with your company over the actions of a government.... The unions probably need to issue a joint statement maybe via the Trade Union Congress around targeted and coordinated action in protest against the cost of living, but I don't know how they could make that work. I am sure they must be thinking about it, but we basically need to be fighting what would be a proxy war here.

Meanwhile, we have Liz Truss promising to further clamp down on trade unions, and a nation who, going by the form guide, will elect her in a couple of years time with a thumping majority.

Sadly although I think a coordinated strike is needed, I think it would pour petrol on bonfire of workers rights and could see trade unions have even further reductions in their powers. With the Tory heartlands and their 70+ seat majority cheering it on.

17 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh dear. Still, I'm sure that hackers absolutely, certainly, definitely aren't using this sort of hack to access banking information.

Hackers may have exploited security flaws - Apple - BBC News

@Bert Raccoon, I know this is painful for you to hear but sometimes I really do know what I'm talking about.

You're dredging comments up from over two weeks ago?

Incidentally I've still never been hacked. 

Your argument remains shrieking nonsense unless you also think that bank robberies somehow prove that banks aren't safe.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Let me put it in simple terms VT.

Whilst I am not entirely convinced that the BoE actions will help much, a reading of your posting history on this subject convinces me beyond any doubt whatsoever that you certainly don't know any better than they do.

So forgive me if I decide to find the BoE slightly more credible than you for the time being.

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh dear. Still, I'm sure that hackers absolutely, certainly, definitely aren't using this sort of hack to access banking information.

@Bert Raccoon, I know this is painful for you to hear but sometimes I really do know what I'm talking about.

Incredible to see these two posts in such quick succession. 

I'm sure everyone is currently taking out their cash and firing it under the mattress given the industry leading knowledge on show here.....

26 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Dearie me. I'll be patiently waiting for you to point out at what point in that article it states hackers can access your online banking 

image.gif.2ff405a6a52d3a9948d90d6dc1411fe6.gif

48 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Exactly how would they stop it if millions of people joined in to protest that single issue?

Seeing as there hasn't been a general strike for nearly 100 years I think it's highly unlikely that it will happen, only the TUC can call a general strike and then presumably each industry has to ballot separately reaching both the turnout and in favour figure would be difficult in some sectors. Even the railways which have a proud history of union representation you saw a number of folk vote no or fail to vote.

I think coordinated action is more likely, I'm not sure if it would reach the required numbers to have such an effect that the right wing press would stop attacking workers and start attacking the government and energy companies profiteering.

Perhaps what would be most interesting is if the energy sector started to strike over such enormous rewards not being passed down to the workers.

5 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

It’s one thing to sign the petition.

Another altogether to go through with it.

Arses will collapse.

While that may be the case, there are probably enough people out there who won’t pay because they can’t pay.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Seeing as there hasn't been a general strike for nearly 100 years I think it's highly unlikely that it will happen, only the TUC can call a general strike and then presumably each industry has to ballot separately reaching both the turnout and in favour figure would be difficult in some sectors. Even the railways which have a proud history of union representation you saw a number of folk vote no or fail to vote.

I think coordinated action is more likely, I'm not sure if it would reach the required numbers to have such an effect that the right wing press would stop attacking workers and start attacking the government and energy companies profiteering.

Perhaps what would be most interesting is if the energy sector started to strike over such enormous rewards not being passed down to the workers.

On unionisation my industry fairly well represented compared to others,  we have an historic union who have some influence at national level,  but I’m not a member and as far as i know none of my colleagues are, I think if i was to present an argument to my colleagues about all joining a union it would impossible,  I dread to know how other sectors feel.  

I grew up post thatcher and it seems that before then unions meant something,  i think now we are probably looking back over 100 years seeking answers about how we properly organise without a background of unions and union rights.

An interesting comparative view across Europe:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/20/estonia-europe-inflation-hotspot-23-per-cent

The Estonian plan for a 'universal electricity service' at production cost only sounds intriguing. We really should be decoupling electricity from gas pricing to favour the former, and perhaps that's a step towards doing so. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

An interesting comparative view across Europe:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/20/estonia-europe-inflation-hotspot-23-per-cent

The Estonian plan for a 'universal electricity service' at production cost only sounds intriguing. We really should be decoupling electricity from gas pricing to favour the former, and perhaps that's a step towards doing so. 

As long as 'production cost' isn't able to be manifestly manipulated.

On 19/08/2022 at 12:05, oaksoft said:

Of all the things to worry about, how you receive this money is hardly one of them.

You've been given advance notice of when you'll get it. When the money comes into your account, simply go online and pay it to them as a lump sum.

Only issue i can see is simply handing out free money has never worked out before, do we honestly think that everyone will put that money to energy usage, or will a good portion of people spend it elsewhere, likely on non essentials, then when the free money finishes they'll complain they have no money

Just look at the reaction to the temp 20 benefits increase during covid that EVERYONE knew was temp

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Only issue i can see is simply handing out free money has never worked out before, do we honestly think that everyone will put that money to energy usage, or will a good portion of people spend it elsewhere, likely on non essentials, then when the free money finishes they'll complain they have no money

Just look at the reaction to the temp 20 benefits increase during covid that EVERYONE knew was temp

Lol wut

Aye it's a disgrace that people have the temerity to complain about being dunted back to £80 per week. Shouldn't have had all those champagne and oyster brunches while it was £20 higher!