Free Agency 2022

lichtie23

Is it just me who thinks some of the money being thrown about, sometimes for real mediocre players, is pretty disgusting? I would hate to see it without a salary cap.

Edit; I guess it's not much different to football, still ridiculous amounts of money though.

Edited by johnnydun

Is it just me who thinks some of the money being thrown about, sometimes for real mediocre players, is pretty disgusting? I would hate to see it without a salary cap.
Edit; I guess it's not much different to football, still ridiculous amounts of money though.
The salary cap doesn't really work as you would think. Teams can just agree to restructure players contracts and shift salary to bonuses etc to free up space. If a team is desperate to sign a player, then the cap is never going to stop them. Also the cap goes up every year, so will players contracts.

Don't get me wrong, it influences their signing strategy, but teams will always find a way if required.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

It’s mental if you sit and think about it too long. If I sat and thought about our football too long, I would never watch Manchester City v Liverpool again. As it is, I enjoy watching the EPL even if the Man City players are on a hundred grand a minute. The NFL is a weird beast that financially, I do not profess to fully understand. There are only 32 teams playing the sport to a global audience, whereas the EPL have to market themselves alongside La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga, and others. For every Patrick Mahomes mega-bucks earner, there must be guys on rookie contracts, and practice squad guys not on his money. What do special teams guys, long snappers, punters and place kickers earn? Maybe taken as a whole it somewhat balances out? The likelihood of someone lasting as long as Brady isn’t great, so with career ending injuries just an ‘Alex Smith’ away - I thought that was one reason the top talent got mega deals. Goodness knows what the NFL rake in with worldwide TV and media deals. A pooled Nike merchandise deal…. They can’t be short of a few bob, otherwise they would certainly have embraced shirt sponsorship like our football.

Ach, fcuk it. I just enjoy the sport. However, I’m sure I read that Brock Osweiler walked away from the NFL having made $41 million…. Brock Osweiler.

Just let that sink in. 😜

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

The football was of a far higher standard prior to the salary cap era, but it did lead to situations where the rich teams would essentially hoard talent, often to the detriment of the players involved, and dominate divisions/conferences for years until the talent aged and waned.

I don't begrudge the players their salaries, they are after all what makes the NFL what it is. The Salary Cap is calculated in part as a portion of the NFL's expected income from all sources, so it's only right the players get their fair share of that money rather than what it used to be, with owners pocketing most of the income and the players only really getting the scraps. There was a salary floor for a reason, because certain teams were notorious for refusing to pay players and blaming it on 'small market' problems, the Cardinals and Bengals in particular were known for having cheapskate owners who had no interest in fielding the most competitive possible team if it impacted on income.

So while I'd agree with you that there are mediocre players being handed huge contracts, that's a symptom of the modern NFL as a whole being awash with money, and the NFLPA having spent years trying to ensure their members actually see the share of it they are due. Free Agency has ruined the on-field standard though. Watching modern OL play makes my teeth itch. There are so many bloody awful starters in the NFL who would never have got off the bench prior to the mid-90's, but that was inevitable as soon as short-term contracts, a lack of year-on-year stability, and the inability to 'protect' 80% of your roster became a thing. Tags are the kick-back, but they don't work in the same way at all and are far less beneficial to teams.

Also I've only just noticed that the Dolphins signed Bridgewater.

That or I noticed at the time and forgot [emoji848]
All the signals the Dolphins have been posting are that they see potential in Tua and they are going to give him the tools to succeed. They have brought in the players to do that, the OL is already massively upgraded. They're obviously moving towards an outside zone running scheme and all the signings fit that scheme perfectly (with the exception of Gesicki, tagging him baffles me). So now it's on Tua. If the team give him time, a run game and receivers who can separate, then he has no excuses. He has to deliver.

When Bridgewater signed it was expected he was signing as a backup to Tua. At his press conference he was asked about that and he refused to confirm what he had discussed regarding his role. Many people are now speculating that he thinks he can win the starting role over Tua or he thinks that if Tua gets injured he will take over and keep the job permanently In typical Dolphins fashion nothing is entirely clear.

Still, Weddle is a great player, so having him, Hill and Gesicki is exciting for the Dolphins.

If it doesn't work this year, they'll draft a new QB in 2023.
Yep, no excuses for Tua now. I hope takes a leap this year.. But if he doesn't impress then at least the offence is better for a new QB coming in

Still think they may trade Howard to re-coup some draft picks.