Chipper vs Tramp

Brian Rice's first game in charge of Alloa; should be an intriguing match. Must admit I liked listening to him on Sportsound and glad to see him back in the game.

Very much expecting a new manager bounce and a tough fixture. Rice will put the best XI on the park (don't expect to see Mendy playing), have Alloa more well drilled and I'm sure there will be a strong desire to impress buoyed by an away win against the Sons last week. 

If Sena can stay on his feet for longer than 25 seconds that will help the home side's chances of a result!

Cove come into this one also on a back of a win against Falkirk thanks to goals from Fyvie and Mitch. It's 16 unbeaten in the league for Cove dating back to 16th October when East Fife comfortably beat us 4-2 at New Bayview.

I'm hoping for the return of Shay Logan, who has been missing since he limped off against Montrose in mid-January, some 6 weeks ago. Supposedly it was a tear in the hamstring but I've been told for a couple of weeks he's close to returning. Rory also missed out last week due to his wife being close to or in labour. Very much need Rors back in the starting lineup as we have no cover in that position which was evident in that we played Fyvie up top alongside Mitch. He actually did a fine job but neither hold the ball up and it completely changed how we played.

I can't make the game tomorrow so will watch on stream. Alloa's commentary is one of the better ones in my opinion so looking forward to tuning in. Only away game I've missed this season was against Clyde and was a 2-1 loss 

- It's a return to Alloa for ex-manager Paul Hartley, who had 3 successful years with the Wasps and for Mitch Megginson who had a short spell almost 10 years ago now; time flies.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

There is a renewed sense of optomism around Recs now  but i am not sure if it is 

going to extend to us getting  a win here , but !    who knows keep strong at the back and we have a chance , 

henderson still out for this i presume ?  , will take a draw .

Excited for a Saturday at home for the first time this season. Hopefully we can build on last weeks performance but my expectations for points are tempered against what are a very good Cove side. That said, three points in the bag by 1700hrs [emoji23]

Cove starting line as per below. Shay Logan missing from the match day squad for the 6th straight week. Big player for us so a loss as it means Blair Yule might be asked to play RWB.

Rory only starts on the bench which is baffling. Can only guess he's not fully fit as the partnership with Mitch is a huge strength for us.

Ryan Strachan also not in the squad.

Masson back in the starting lineup for the first time in a while. Looked a fair bit off match fitness as of late so interested to see how he gets on.

Bizarre that we are playing midfielders as attackers when either Rory or Mitch are out. Last week it was Fyvie this week Masson or Fyvie again. You'd think we could recruit a 3rd striker that is suitable for game time but perhaps being critical.

Screenshot_20220226-140155.jpg

Screenshot_20220226-140904.jpg

Bit unlucky not to get all three points. Big change in formation with three at the back, telling that no place for Mendy with Taggart coming in from right back to play in the middle beside Durnham and Big Andy. I felt this gave us the platform to play a more attacking game with two up top. Great team performance today which was unfortunately for us nullified by the sending off of Robertson just after he came on. Silly challenge which changed the game. We really tired towards the end and you could sense that Cove were going to get something from the game. Can’t be too upset about a point against the league leaders and if we keep playing like that we will be safe this year.

10 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Famous last words.

We were very fortunate to get anything there. Even down to 10 men Hutton barely had a save to make until Adeyemo's header. We were getting into areas out wide but looked devoid of impetus or quality. Threatened more when Rory came on. It was obvious that Masson wasn't going to compliment Mitch up top especially given he's been way off as of late and not featuring in weeks so tactically not impressed with that. 

Poor performance in the whole from Cove but all credit to Alloa for that opening 25 minutes when they were so superior and deserved to be a couple up.

Very frustrating to end up with only a point but still a lot of positives there. The shape of the team was good, albeit I'd question how certain players were deployed, and there was a huge difference in energy. It took a very good save to stop us getting to 3 and probably putting it out of sight in the first 25 mins. Cove came into it more as it went on but I wasn't really worried until the red card. I wasn't expecting a red based on the challenge and neither did it seem did the players, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the highlights. Game changed on that and just a question of could we hold on. Having reached the 82nd minute we should really have seen it out, and unfortunately both goals were rather soft. But I feared we might even have lost it at the end. Credit to Cove for keeping going and squeezing something out of it. 

Credit also to Rice, he has clearly energised the group in his short time in charge and the players were obviously pulling together and also getting the ball down again. A number of players with excellent performances. Really positive developments. Have to say though, I struggle to see how you can watch the game last week then leave Robbo out of centre midfield. Obviously he didn't last long when he was on, but if he is fit he should start. And back 3 is fine but Scott Taggart is a terrific RB, you don't use him at left CB. He was OK there but it's not a natural fit and he was badly missed attacking on the right flank. King Kev is not a wing back. Hopefully the new manager will be a quick learner. He's made a promising start though and loads to build on. First half performance would beat any team in the league. 

Edited by Waspie

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

Very frustrating to end up with only a point but still a lot of positives there. The shape of the team was good, albeit I'd question how certain players were deployed, and there was a huge difference in energy. It took a very good save to stop us getting to 3 and probably putting it out of sight in the first 25 mins. Cove came into it more as it went on but I wasn't really worried until the red card. I wasn't expecting a red based on the challenge and neither did it seem did the players, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the highlights. Game changed on that and just a question of could we hold on. Having reached the 82nd minute we should really have seen it out, and unfortunately both goals were rather soft. But I feared we might even have lost it at the end. Credit to Cove for keeping going and squeezing something out of it. 

Credit also to Rice, he has clearly energised the group in his short time in charge and the players were obviously pulling together and also getting the ball down again. A number of players with excellent performances. Really positive developments. Have to say though, I struggle to see how you can watch the game last week then leave Robbo out of centre midfield. Obviously he didn't last long when he was on, but if he is fit he should start. And back 3 is fine but Scott Taggart is a terrific RB, you don't use him at left CB. He was OK there but it's not a natural fit and he was badly missed attacking on the right flank. King Kev is not a wing back. Hopefully the new manager will be a quick learner. He's made a promising start though and loads to build on. First half performance would beat any team in the league. 

Taggs looked to me to be picking up Megginson, and I assume that's the reason he was playing on the left of the three at the back. I actually thought he had a very good game and complemented Andy G and Durnan. I take your point generally though - we miss his attacking qualities from right back.

Overall it was night and day to pretty much all our performances under Ferguson. I liked the two up top, which seemed to suit Sammon, who had probably his best game for Alloa.

Scougall was also deployed in a position which suited his quality.

Like Waspie, I'll wait for the highlights to confirm, but Robbo's red looked like nonsense. He just mistimed his challenge, there was no great force or danger to the Cove player; although I'm sure it was a sore one, given where he looked to have been caught. 

Real pity we didn't hang on for the three points, although we probably weren't good enough last ten minutes to ensure that. Cove remain a very good side.

I believe Robbo had a niggle during the week, but we certainly need him to start if able. 

Edited by printer

43 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I've also got a post match interview for tonight - Rice is true to form very positive, encouraging, and not a word to say wrong about the players. Just enjoyed the football like the rest of us.

What's one of them? 😉

Edited by printer

5 minutes ago, printer said:

What's one of them? 😉

To be fair because I have the camera strapped to the roof - there's no tidy-up at the end of games while the Ferguson era had me packing for half an hour after every game.

I can grab the camera off the roof minutes after the game and capture the interviews. 

6 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

To be fair because I have the camera strapped to the roof - there's no tidy-up at the end of games while the Ferguson era had me packing for half an hour after every game.

I can grab the camera off the roof minutes after the game and capture the interviews. 

Laughing gravie likes this.