Chipper vs Tramp

On 25/02/2022 at 16:15, Vegetableman said:

will take a draw .

Yeah i would have at the start but not because we had Another sending off . we do seem to be getting 

it harshly from the referees ? still much better from us and our best result from the usual drubbings we get  from cove .  we should not fear anyone else in this league . 

What a difference. A formation, players, in the main, in the correct position, fighting for their team, fans and most importantly their manager. They also looked like they enjoyed it and were filled with confidence

A breath of fresh air and some optimism. Why o why did we persist with the former imbecile?

8 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

What a difference. A formation, players, in the main, in the correct position, fighting for their team, fans and most importantly their manager. They also looked like they enjoyed it and were filled with confidence

A breath of fresh air and some optimism. Why o why did we persist with the former imbecile?

It was so evident at the Dumbarton game and is very encouraging , just a shame about another sending off , to someone who probably hasn't been sent off in his entire career  ? .

Edited by Vegetableman

13 hours ago, printer said:

Taggs looked to me to be picking up Megginson, and I assume that's the reason he was playing on the left of the three at the back. I actually thought he had a very good game and complemented Andy G and Durnan. I take your point generally though - we miss his attacking qualities from right back.

Overall it was night and day to pretty much all our performances under Ferguson. I liked the two up top, which seemed to suit Sammon, who had probably his best game for Alloa.

Scougall was also deployed in a position which suited his quality.

Like Waspie, I'll wait for the highlights to confirm, but Robbo's red looked like nonsense. He just mistimed his challenge, there was no great force or danger to the Cove player; although I'm sure it was a sore one, given where he looked to have been caught. 

Real pity we didn't hang on for the three points, although we probably weren't good enough last ten minutes to ensure that. Cove remain a very good side.

I believe Robbo had a niggle during the week, but we certainly need him to start if able. 

Hopefully was indeed a strategy to deal with Megginson rather than a long term plan for Taggs. I like the idea of Durnan, Graham and Howie as a back three. And hopefully Robbo being on the bench was down to a niggle. 

Watching the highlights can see why the ref gave a red, Robbo did mistime it and his foot was high. He looked to pull out though and there certainly wasn't excessive force. All down to interpretation I suppose but I think a yellow would have been correct and given how these things have worked against us it would be well worth an appeal. Certainly changed the game but we should still have seen it out. 

Thought the manager spoke very well afterwards and very refreshing. Onwards and upwards. 

Edited by Waspie

The draw felt a bit like a defeat after being 2-0 up and even though we were down to 10 men should have been able to hang on.

The Robertson sending off was the main  catalyst for Cove getting back into the game but also thought bringing Ben Armour on didn't work either, and he hardly touched the ball when we needed somebody to hold it up. 

That said, the football yesterday was far better to watch than under Ferguson and we attacked with a bit of purpose. Having two strikers playing closer together rather than one marooned up front and playing a more direct passing game was a breath of fresh air. 

Would agree with the other posts, Robertson would always be in my starting line up, either in front of the improved Church or King. 

Was nice to enjoy watching Alloa again. Good luck to Brian Rice. 

Edited by Magic Hat

Would have bitten your hand off for a draw before the game but in the end felt a little bit robbed of 3 points - 2 really questionable moments from the ref in Robbo’s red and only a yellow for Neil, ultimately those changed the course of the game. 

Liked the way we were set up and from the first whistle the whole team looked bang up for up yesterday. Was disappointed to see Robbo dropped but I did think King played well last week and probably just shaded it over him. Pleased to see Sena back in the more defensive part of midfield as I think that’s where he is at his best as a ball winner - he had a really solid game in there. Scougall was everywhere in the first half and really put himself about - he looked like a player with a weight lifted off his back. 2 up top is a must for me at home and from the very start you could see the difference getting bodies forward was making. I thought Cove looked really ordinary in the first half and they looked pretty vulnerable every time we went forward. The only disappointment from the first half was that it was only 2-0. 

You could see how the red card lifted Cove and there was a bit of an inevitability about the final outcome. Having been so impressed with Cove previously, despite some nice touches here and there, I didn’t think the offered anything outside Milne. He was brilliant yesterday, and for me, the best left back in the division. He was a constant threat down the wing and provided some really dangerous crosses all day. On the whole I thought Cawley did ok up against him and it was a really good battle between them in the second half. Saying that, I was saying to the boy next to me just before Cawley was booked that I would be bringing Howie on at centre half and putting Taggs out on the right to cover him. I was surprised Rice didn’t do that after the booking to be honest. 

Sammon’s best game in an Alloa shirt, and he looked to really enjoy having Boyd playing off him. Said before that I think we will get the best out of Henderson if we played someone up there with him so hopefully that continues when he returns. 

As I said, I liked how we were set up yesterday. Personally, with that formation I would be having a back 3 of Durnan, Andy and Howie. Taggs up the right and Boyd as a left wing back (he has impressed all season with how he tracks back when he is on the wing). Robbo and Sena in the middle of the park with either Scougall or Cawley playing further forward. Sammon and Henderson up top. For me that would be a great lineup. 

Overall I left yesterday feeling really optimistic for the rest of the season. There’s no team in the league would live with that first half performance from Alloa - that’s the level we need to strive to be at for the rest of the season. 

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

l didn't clip this one but since I've seen it discussed - you can have a second look at the tackle. For me if its a foul it's DOGSO - not sure how the ref justifies a yellow. Certainly he hits Sammon before the ball.

If Robbo's was a red, this is every inch a red card too. Keeper should have been off in the 1st half too.

No doubt the ref saw the word Rangers, a blue strip and it was all he needed.

Only thing missing was there was no penalty awarded.

Edited by laughing gravie

39 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

l didn't clip this one but since I've seen it discussed - you can have a second look at the tackle. For me if its a foul it's DOGSO - not sure how the ref justifies a yellow. Certainly he hits Sammon before the ball.

It does make you wonder that if that had been an alloa player doing this it might have been different 

you start to think the referees have our number somehow , (paranoia incoming  ) .

51 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Thanks for putting that up, was surprised it wasn’t in the highlights. 

Agree completely, if it’s a foul he has to send him off as last man. 

Was going to mention in my other message but forgot, was disappointed how the ref reacted to Robbo’s challenge - he gave himself zero time to think about his decision and was far too quick to go to his pocket for the red card. 

It wasn't in the highlights because the system for clipping isnt full-proof, sometimes there's clips that aren't matched with the audio recording on the main track. I normally don't give it any thought because usually I test clip outside of the main recording to check it's working. This system underpins the midnight highlight production so that's the disadvantage of producing something quickly.

And I had Alan Trouten telling me it was a good tackle. Famed for a good tackle that man. 😂

Not sure if anyone else read an interview last week from Btrian Rice,in which he said that Paddy had agreed to stay until the end of the season to help him.So is Paddy leaving us then?Not sure if it was just the way it was worded.I'd be very disappointed if Paddy were to leave,as i think he's been the anchor holding us steady over the years.

Not sure if anyone else read an interview last week from Btrian Rice,in which he said that Paddy had agreed to stay until the end of the season to help him.So is Paddy leaving us then?Not sure if it was just the way it was worded.I'd be very disappointed if Paddy were to leave,as i think he's been the anchor holding us steady over the years.
Stood near the dugout yesterday and Paddy seemed a lot more involved and in dialogue with Brian than he ever was with BF

24 minutes ago, pencils said:
48 minutes ago, Alloa 68 said:

Stood near the dugout yesterday and Paddy seemed a lot more involved and in dialogue with Brian than he ever was with BF

Paddy would be 3rd in line after BF's roadie Boab.  I'm sure Paddy will be here next season if Brian Rice wants him.

On 27/02/2022 at 14:21, Kevchenko said:

Would have bitten your hand off for a draw before the game but in the end felt a little bit robbed of 3 points - 2 really questionable moments from the ref in Robbo’s red and only a yellow for Neil, ultimately those changed the course of the game. 

Liked the way we were set up and from the first whistle the whole team looked bang up for up yesterday. Was disappointed to see Robbo dropped but I did think King played well last week and probably just shaded it over him. Pleased to see Sena back in the more defensive part of midfield as I think that’s where he is at his best as a ball winner - he had a really solid game in there. Scougall was everywhere in the first half and really put himself about - he looked like a player with a weight lifted off his back. 2 up top is a must for me at home and from the very start you could see the difference getting bodies forward was making. I thought Cove looked really ordinary in the first half and they looked pretty vulnerable every time we went forward. The only disappointment from the first half was that it was only 2-0. 

You could see how the red card lifted Cove and there was a bit of an inevitability about the final outcome. Having been so impressed with Cove previously, despite some nice touches here and there, I didn’t think the offered anything outside Milne. He was brilliant yesterday, and for me, the best left back in the division. He was a constant threat down the wing and provided some really dangerous crosses all day. On the whole I thought Cawley did ok up against him and it was a really good battle between them in the second half. Saying that, I was saying to the boy next to me just before Cawley was booked that I would be bringing Howie on at centre half and putting Taggs out on the right to cover him. I was surprised Rice didn’t do that after the booking to be honest. 

Sammon’s best game in an Alloa shirt, and he looked to really enjoy having Boyd playing off him. Said before that I think we will get the best out of Henderson if we played someone up there with him so hopefully that continues when he returns. 

As I said, I liked how we were set up yesterday. Personally, with that formation I would be having a back 3 of Durnan, Andy and Howie. Taggs up the right and Boyd as a left wing back (he has impressed all season with how he tracks back when he is on the wing). Robbo and Sena in the middle of the park with either Scougall or Cawley playing further forward. Sammon and Henderson up top. For me that would be a great lineup. 

Overall I left yesterday feeling really optimistic for the rest of the season. There’s no team in the league would live with that first half performance from Alloa - that’s the level we need to strive to be at for the rest of the season. 

I thought we looked very vulnerable in that first 30 minutes. To be honest I haven't seen us look as lacklustre, static and open defensively in a long time. Sammon was winning the aerial duels and Alloa had runners from deep that were not being tracked. Credit to Alloa for the fast start and taking full advantage. Without the red there was no way back and it would have been a deserved victory.

Rory was quoted after the match saying he wasn't quite 100% mid-week and he was eager to get on. To me, that's him saying he was ready to start and you got to play him. To leave him out, and only put him on after 65 minutes, and play a midfielder alongside Mitch is just ludicrous. At least play a striker (Ola or Leighton). No out-ball or target man to hit, then everything needs to go to feet and we were too slow to move it when we had it. Alloa made it look easy to defend against. Not only Rory missing out but dragging Fyvie out of his normal position - double whammy.  

I think stats showed we only had 7 shots and 4 on target. We're normally double that.

Harry Milne is undoubtedly our strongest defender, most consistent performer and best crosser of a ball. He's got pace and power and played really well against the likes of Martin Boyle and Josh Ginnelly in cup games as of late. He's just 25; that's young for us! A few clubs will be taking an interest in him.