The Annexed Goodwillie Thread

So I thought it was probably about time to do this rather than subjecting the Raith fans to Goodwillie talk whenever someone has a question or a point to make.

--------------------------

Reasonable authority has it that Raith have offered Clyde the chance to sign Goodwillie on loan for the rest of the season. This proposal has been rejected.

The source is the Clyde FC owners forum. A director with loose lips spilled to a paid up fan owner. Whilst I'm relieved Clyde have done the right thing at this point, I'm really not sure this will continue to be the case if pushed.

I feel that this is an odd move by Raith, but probably has something to do with keeping Goodwillie sweet so that he would potentially accept some kind of a pay off deal.

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Bit strange. Clyde have known what he is for years.

I agree, morally the goalposts haven't moved but in football terms, Clyde aren't in the mess we were in when he originally signed. Bottom of League 2, staring down the barrel of the Lowland League and eventual financial oblivion and extinction, and presented with the chance to sign a player who would all but guarantee safety.

It's not an excuse obviously, still deplorable that we signed him in the first place.

During the last few weeks i've idly wondered a few times what was happening re Goodwillie and his contract, but not enough that I could be bothered trying to find out. I take it he's still being paid by Raith and is unable to kick a ball for anyone else? Unless Clyde were to take him back I can't see him ever getting another gig in Scotland.........

Part of club statement mid feb

“we ask that everyone takes cognisance of the fact that a number of legal and financial issues are still being discussed with concerned parties, and as such we are restricted to the extent of information we can share at this time”

Yes I would think the club will be paying DG meantime per his contract

Assuming no one would touch him with a barge pole the two choices are pay him throughout the length of his contract while he’s de facto suspended on full pay, or (if cash flow permits) pay him the full lot as a lump sum to go now. 

I would imagine they’ll do the former until the summer to see if some overseas club might take him. If they can’t punt him in the summer transfer window then maybe we see them “mutually agree to part ways” after that. 

Now we can pretty much agree that Goodwillie is about as popular as Putin is in Kyiv and I doubt he will ever play football at a reasonable level again

I am only playing devils advocate here and this is not my personal opinion, but has he not already been punished with a large fine and technically he was was found not proven by a court.

WE give others a second chance after they have done their time/paid fines etc, the Livi manager for example?

Should Goodwillie be given another chance, after all he played for Clyde for several years with a fairly low profile

Just asking the question, not saying he should

12 minutes ago, smc4761 said:

Now we can pretty much agree that Goodwillie is about as popular as Putin is in Kyiv and I doubt he will ever play football at a reasonable level again

I am only playing devils advocate here and this is not my personal opinion, but has he not already been punished with a large fine and technically he was was found not proven by a court.

WE give others a second chance after they have done their time/paid fines etc, the Livi manager for example?

Should Goodwillie be given another chance, after all he played for Clyde for several years with a fairly low profile

Read back about 500 pages on the Raith thread and go at it.

1 hour ago, smc4761 said:

The woman he raped was awarded damages by a civil court. I'm not sure whether he actually paid up.

He wasn't taken to a criminal court, so as there wasn't a trial, there wasn't a verdict and there definitely wasn't a fine. If it had gone to criminal court and he had been found guilty, it would have been jail time.

Unlike Martindale, Goodwillie has never expressed remorse for what he did, so you can hardly say he's done his time/paid his fine.

F*ck him.

Thank f**k there's a new thread for this. The Rovers thread is pretty much the Grampa Simpson entering and leaving quickly gif with folk leaving their ridiculous takes. Ideally, people can leave their opinions here. 

Any person found guilty of rape in a civil court shouldn't be playing in our football set up, regardless of whether they're in the top flight or down the pyramid. The "he deserves a second chance and rehabilitation like Martindale" line trotted out by folk is ridiculous given he's never shown any remorse. The Sunday Post have picked up recently that Denise Clair is looking to move forward in an attempt with a private prosecution but those are exceptionally rare. 

We should pay David Goodwillie the money we're owed and let him be on his way. If we loan him out to Clyde, we're still facilitating his role in the game which I'd be disappointed with. I'd far rather we just kept paying him the money he's due until his released whether that's in a week, a month or the final paycheque of his contract with him sitting at home with no involvement at the club..

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

The woman he raped was awarded damages by a civil court. I'm not sure whether he actually paid up.

He wasn't taken to a criminal court, so as there wasn't a trial, there wasn't a verdict and there definitely wasn't a fine. If it had gone to criminal court and he had been found guilty, it would have been jail time.

Unlike Martindale, Goodwillie has never expressed remorse for what he did, so you can hardly say he's done his time/paid his fine.

F*ck him.

Why would anyone show remorse for something they believe did not happen or they are not guilty off?In this case DG

3 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Why would anyone show remorse for something they believe did not happen or they are not guilty off?In this case DG

He doesn’t have to show remorse, but In not doing so he obviously will get treated differently to those who have shown remorse for their crimes. 

Regarding gardening leave/getting paid off.. if he was on, say £1k a week but had decent appearance bonus or goal bonus so could, reasonably, expect to get 50% more than that most weeks is that something that would need to be taken into consideration for what he's being paid? 

Why would you be liable for paying someone appearance fees when it is never gaurenteed he will be fit to play? Similarly goal bonus etc. It's hearsay and wouldn't stand up in a court of law. But neither did that rapist either in fairness...

To my knowledge through all of this, there's not been a word said from the SFA, SPFL, or even PFA Scotland, after all they decided he could continue playing the game, so are they just as guilty as we were in signing him

None of those employed him, so in fact they are roughly 0.000001% as guilty as Raith Rovers in all this. How could they possibly not allow him to continue to play football?

Because we have denied him the opportunity to earn those bonuses. 
Won't stand up. They where never gaurenteed in the first place. There could be a settlement around it, but without being able to prove we were gaurenteed x then his side can't argue for it