Thistle vs Queens - Tuesday 8th March 2022

3 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Re the penalty, what are the thoughts of the PPV audience? Being at the game, I got one look from distance, but it fell into the ‘soft’ category. Defenders should know to be very careful in the box, no nudges or hands on backs. But I don’t know how culpable Debayo was.

It was a penalty. Maybe on the softer side, but not giving it would have been a really poor decision by the referee.

I think it was very clumsy by Debayo after getting wrong side of Smith. 

Having watched it back I can only think the reason it wasn't a red is the ref thought the keeper was going to get the ball ahead of Smith, as there was no attempt from Debayo to play the ball, which makes it an even more stupid pull if the keeper was getting there first. 

2 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

Re the penalty, what are the thoughts of the PPV audience? Being at the game, I got one look from distance, but it fell into the ‘soft’ category. Defenders should know to be very careful in the box, no nudges or hands on backs. But I don’t know how culpable Debayo was.

Was disappointed in our second half performance. After edging the first half, we just didn’t do it in the second half. Hard work and team spirit can get you so far, maybe we just run out of legs a bit after 4 games in 8 days. The pitch drained us! (QOS fan complains about someone else’s pitch…..).

And to be fair, Thistle clearly better than Morton or Ayr (OK, that’s a low bar), I think they’re in a 3 way race for the title.

I thought at the time it was soft and the reaction of the Queens players back that up. However, after watching it again, it looks like a penalty.

Thistle could easily have gone in at half time losing the game but were definitely the dominant team 2nd half. 

Have to agree with the popular opinion Debayo is not the best option. Do not understand why we have not brought Nditi back into the fold in defence. East and O'Connor have been really good of late and defending for their lives. Josh Rae has been excellent since Sol left. Would like to see him signed up for next season. Think we should have used our subs better last night to freshen things up a bit as second half was poor. My opinion why not give Roy or Paton a chance beside Cameron. I personally do not see anything in Junior as a player who can get us out of trouble. Roy and Paton can score goals although Roy again is obviously not fancied by manager.

Have to agree with the popular opinion Debayo is not the best option. Do not understand why we have not brought Nditi back into the fold in defence. East and O'Connor have been really good of late and defending for their lives. Josh Rae has been excellent since Sol left. Would like to see him signed up for next season. Think we should have used our subs better last night to freshen things up a bit as second half was poor. My opinion why not give Roy or Paton a chance beside Cameron. I personally do not see anything in Junior as a player who can get us out of trouble. Roy and Paton can score goals although Roy again is obviously not fancied by manager.

Roy didn’t even touch the ball when he came on last night, I thought big Ruben looked more dangerous than Cameron last night. He won a fair amount of headers and had to try get onto them as well, Cameron looked a bit heavy legged but worked hard.

I was impressed by Kyle Turner after he came on last night - he pulled a lot of strings and has a good set piece delivery in him.

Amazing to think that Peter Grant apparently made no effort to keep him at Dunfermline, and even more amazing that he felt Dan Pybus would be an ideal replacement.

I see Connor Murray continues to flatter to deceive...

Edited by Slipmat

1 hour ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

Post-match interview with Wullie Gibson ...

... includes penalty incident (50 seconds in)

That to me is defo not a penalty. Putting your hands on an opponent is allowed, I think most people know that. If you watch the Partick player's feet, he just... goes down. His legs just straighten and he falls to the floor. I can't see how it's a pen but I appear to be in a minority of one. 

Poor defending to give away the penalty, pulls Smith back when neither of them are on the ball, referee has no choice. Looks like if he was less concerned about pulling Smith back he could have actually played the ball. 

Lovely to get another win though, but our finishing has been very poor recently and really needs to improve. Alegria unlucky in the first half, that's a cracking save from the Queens goalie. 

1 hour ago, Rouky said:

Great attitude from Wullie, honest and determined. 

One of the best manager interviews I have heard. I particularly liked his thoughts on players playing a lot of games, really refreshing to hear a manager saying what a lot of us punters think. 

5 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

Was disappointed in our second half performance. After edging the first half, we just didn’t do it in the second half. Hard work and team spirit can get you so far, maybe we just run out of legs a bit after 4 games in 8 days. The pitch drained us! (QOS fan complains about someone else’s pitch…..).

And to be fair, Thistle clearly better than Morton or Ayr (OK, that’s a low bar), I think they’re in a 3 way race for the title.

I just watched the highlights and to me it looked like he let the ball past him and tugged Smith back. Going by Docherty’s reaction he obviously felt it could have been more than just a yellow as Smith had a clear goal scoring opportunity.

I just watched the highlights and to me it looked like he let the ball past him and tugged Smith back. Going by Docherty’s reaction he obviously felt it could have been more than just a yellow as Smith had a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Docherty could have been sent off himself but two bookings

I was really disappointed to see us abandon the successful 4-4-2 or the 4-4-1-1  to drift back into that 3-5-2 formation which invariably becomes 5-3-2 when the legs tire.We had the personnel to slot into a two banks of 4. Obviously 4-4-2 guaranteed nothing and we could have easily lost just the same but don’t see why we needed to change a successful formula. Somebody like Debayo is better kept out of the central area and at LB there is less chance of him making an impulsive challenge. Just madness to effectively gift the opposition a goal from the pen spot in needless circumstances but can’t remember one instance this season where we have been gifted a penalty in really needless circumstances. These crucial mistakes all add up - Debayo and Nditi have probably cost us several points by turning draws into defeats and sadly we haven’t been the grateful recipients of many , if any, at the other end. Would have happily traded a win at Partick for the Cove win but we are where we are. Vital to bounce back on Saturday.

I was really disappointed to see us abandon the successful 4-4-2 or the 4-4-1-1  to drift back into that 3-5-2 formation which invariably becomes 5-3-2 when the legs tire.We had the personnel to slot into a two banks of 4. Obviously 4-4-2 guaranteed nothing and we could have easily lost just the same but don’t see why we needed to change a successful formula. Somebody like Debayo is better kept out of the central area and at LB there is less chance of him making an impulsive challenge. Just madness to effectively gift the opposition a goal from the pen spot in needless circumstances but can’t remember one instance this season where we have been gifted a penalty in really needless circumstances. These crucial mistakes all add up - Debayo and Nditi have probably cost us several points by turning draws into defeats and sadly we haven’t been the grateful recipients of many , if any, at the other end. Would have happily traded a win at Partick for the Cove win but we are where we are. Vital to bounce back on Saturday.

We'd switched to a back four with debayo at left back when he gave away the the penalty

It was all we could really do with personnel available.