Vale of Leithen

...and on and on with the puerile drivel because certain people are more interested in proving they are right or settling petty personal scores than looking objectively at what we've been told.

Looks to me like Gretna do probably  prefer the EoS if this has been a talking point in EoS circles by people ITK as Burnieman is telling us but as things stand the leagues involved have decided that the SoS would be their destination given what FWF has been told.

Whether that's something Gretna could actively appeal in some way is what I'd be mildly concerned about if I was linked to a club in the EoS relegation zone. Would find that surprising if it happened but there have been some sudden unexpected twists recently in LL terms due to SFA board interventions.

41 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...and on and on with the puerile drivel because certain people are more interested in proving they are right or settling petty personal scores than looking objectively at what we've been told.

Looks to me like Gretna do probably  prefer the EoS if this has been a talking point in EoS circles by people ITK as Burnieman is telling us but as things stand the leagues involved have decided that the SoS would be their destination given what FWF has been told.

Whether that's something Gretna could actively appeal in some way is what I'd be mildly concerned about if I was linked to a club in the EoS relegation zone. Would find that surprising if it happened but there have been some sudden unexpected twists recently in LL terms due to SFA board interventions.

You might be right it's just hilariously predictable. 

45 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Do you have any mirrors in your house? 🤣

45 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

See above 😂

6 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's been known for years now that Gretna 2008 would be relegated to the South. So all the old EoSFA/They came from the EoSFL are tiresome and new things like a boundary being scrapped is weird since there's never been a boundary. Closest thing to that is the agreement between the West/East that ignored D&G.

Clubs jumping between the SoS and EoS is new in a pyramid context in that it's never happened. Even back in the day Annan, Dalbeattie, Threave never left the SoS. They each continued to play a team in the league. A bit like Stirling University EoS.

Like I say, my understanding at the start of the season was that LL clubs were to nominate their preferred destination in the event of relegation, rather than the leagues solely deciding for them.  Now that may still be the case, or it it may never have been the case, and even in that circumstance Gretna may have elected SoS, I was told it was EoS.    Just looking for a little bit of clarity, nothing more, nothing less.   Gretna have now tweeted which implies SoS, so that's it's done.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

What's the current situation with VoL, do they have a management team in place for next season?

The Peebles management team  took the job - Michael Wilson and assistant Ross McLaren.....I think.

• 9 months later...

Credit to Hawick, The question is.... when does this horrific spell end for the vale? do they just keep going at this pace getting pumped week in, week out? relegated season in, season out until they are at a level to be able to compete? Do they require a major cash injection to end this all and attract more high-spec players to the club? does the committee require some fresh faces onboard with fresh ideas how to take the club forward? I'd say management but they have gone through their fair share of these already. i understand its easy for me to sit here and type this saying "do they need more money" "new players" etc and actually following through with this is by no means an easy task, it is however becoming more and more obvious just how much money is starting to talk at this level.

The vale is a club that has been around for years with a great history, to see them now like this is a real tragedy for this level of football. I for one hope they can make some impactful changes that allows them to turn this corner. i suppose once you've hit rock bottom, the only way is up but best of luck to them.

1 hour ago, fanfromafar said:

Credit to Hawick, The question is.... when does this horrific spell end for the vale? do they just keep going at this pace getting pumped week in, week out? relegated season in, season out until they are at a level to be able to compete? Do they require a major cash injection to end this all and attract more high-spec players to the club? does the committee require some fresh faces onboard with fresh ideas how to take the club forward? I'd say management but they have gone through their fair share of these already. i understand its easy for me to sit here and type this saying "do they need more money" "new players" etc and actually following through with this is by no means an easy task, it is however becoming more and more obvious just how much money is starting to talk at this level.

The vale is a club that has been around for years with a great history, to see them now like this is a real tragedy for this level of football. I for one hope they can make some impactful changes that allows them to turn this corner. i suppose once you've hit rock bottom, the only way is up but best of luck to them.

I suspect having to raise funds for lights just to keep a license with no income coming in during Covid has crippled the club. 

Other clubs have had it easy compared to the Vale. 

27 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

I suspect having to raise funds for lights just to keep a license with no income coming in during Covid has crippled the club. 

Other clubs have had it easy compared to the Vale. 

There have been plenty of clubs that have had to fundraise now, they all haven't gone into freefall.

They had that issue when Chris Anderson left, as wasn't his relative the secretary/treasurer and made sure there was a pay-off? Or i'm I miss remembering that.

Plus, like any Borders club that's had a history of tapping into the Edinburgh area for players. The expansion of the EoSFL won't have helped.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There have been plenty of clubs that have had to fundraise now, they all haven't gone into freefall.

They had that issue when Chris Anderson left, as wasn't his relative the secretary/treasurer and made sure there was a pay-off? Or i'm I miss remembering that.

Plus, like any Borders club that's had a history of tapping into the Edinburgh area for players. The expansion of the EoSFL won't have helped.

Im not doubting clubs having to fundraise but how many clubs had to fundraise for lights though? That is a massive part of clubs budget and if I recall the SFA set strict deadlines for licensing.

Yes I think you are correct there was trouble with the Anderson's,that could be a big factor. There might also have been trouble with a previous committee if I recall. These can't have helped. 

I think you've also nailed it with the EoSFL expansion. Players might just not fancy travelling to the Borders now when there are so many clubs within the Edinburgh area. GFR in the LL being an exception. 

3 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Im not doubting clubs having to fundraise but how many clubs had to fundraise for lights though? That is a massive part of clubs budget and if I recall the SFA set strict deadlines for licensing.

Pretty much every new member since 2019.

VoL didn't have them up until Dec 2020 thanks to being an existing member of the SFA. Giving them the better part of 2 years compared to others.

They also received significant funding from the Council like Coldstream. With the Scottish Football Partnership also granting them some funding.

Reports had the Council chip in £155k.

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/sport/football/illuminating-news-vale-leithen-2889631

https://www.peeblesshirenews.com/sport/18228991.floodlight-celebrations-vale-coldstream/

5 hours ago, fanfromafar said:

Seems you answered your own question. 

They will continue to drop until they hit their level. With the Junior clubs and others joining, it was always going to take a number of years until teams found their correct level. VoL will be part of that. 

2 hours ago, fanfromafar said:

The question is.... when does this horrific spell end for the vale? do they just keep going at this pace getting pumped week in, week out? relegated season in, season out until they are at a level to be able to compete?

Yes...? Unless they decide to fold or win the lottery, they'll continue this way until they get to the appropriate level. However, going down the levels doesn't help when it comes to attracting better quality players - either from the Lothians or other clubs wanting to send players on loan to a decent standard (ie the LL not EOS second div).

VOL were a team in the lower half of the EOS Premier before moving to the Lowland, once the likes of Preston, Hawick, Selkirk, and WW were relegated they were always going to be next to drop out. Then add all of the East Juniors and their natural level drops further...

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Yes...? Unless they decide to fold or win the lottery, they'll continue this way until they get to the appropriate level. However, going down the levels doesn't help when it comes to attracting better quality players - either from the Lothians or other clubs wanting to send players on loan to a decent standard (ie the LL not EOS second div).

VOL were a team in the lower half of the EOS Premier before moving to the Lowland, once the likes of Preston, Hawick, Selkirk, and WW were relegated they were always going to be next to drop out. Then add all of the East Juniors and their natural level drops further...

Think there’s maybe one or two other current LL Clubs looking at a similar path that’s now been taken by the VoL