Scott Brown retires

1 minute ago, Ulises de la Cruz said:

Considering Celtic fans call him one, I would say he is a ‘Celtic legend'. Like I said he had the ability and potential to go a long way.

He’s had a good career, saying he never would be stupid. He made a lot of money and won a lot of silverware. I have no doubt if he stayed the same player when he left Hibs and wasn’t retrained into being the holding midfielder he turned out to be, he could’ve been playing at the very top. 

Agree with your first part but not the second. He didn’t have the finishing ability or the combination of vision/passing for the final ball to be ahead of others in that position at Celtic so it’s very doubtful he would have got to the top elsewhere. He most likely would have had a way shorter career playing there too. He did look brilliant in that 4-3-3 at Hibs though.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Agree with your first part but not the second. He didn’t have the finishing ability or the combination of vision/passing for the final ball to be ahead of others in that position at Celtic so it’s very doubtful he would have got to the top elsewhere. He most likely would have had a way shorter career playing there too. He did look brilliant in that 4-3-3 at Hibs though.

Fair enough. I would’ve just liked to have seen him have a crack somewhere else. Like you said though with the injuries he had his longevity in the game would’ve been cut short. 

41 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I knew he bothered people but folk dishing out red dots because you called him a legend is quite baffling. I knew he was hated but still underestimated how much he boils peoples piss.

This gif sums it up well imo, the reds keep flying in 😉

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886ee85pdanp73vi59xk0

Edited by Jinky67

8 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

It doesn't upset people it's just that some people might have a differing opinion and don't consider Scot Brown to be 'a legend' . Are such opinions not allowed ??

Would you not say the best people to decide if he is worthy of that moniker are the fans of the clubs he played for? 

I could call you a c**t (not that you are) and people wouldn’t blink an eye and pass the post by but to have the audacity to call one of the most successful captains of my club a legend? How dare i 😂

Says a lot about the mindset of people on here and that their opinion of Brown is driven purely by emotion 

Edited by Jinky67

56 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Are you just pretending he didn’t win 4 trebles whilst Rangers* were in the league? The found out stuff is even more desperate considering he had decent stats in the champions league and captained Scotland for so long and even longer if he wanted to.

No, I’m not pretending he didn’t win them, but similarly, he faced no credible challenge during the majority of that time, which I mentioned.

Additionally, his influence on games against us severely dropped off when Gerrard came in. That is when we first started to put things together.

It was the same when he faced Walter Smith’s side prior to 2012. He was much more ineffective in comparison to his following 8 years or so. That’s what I base my “found out” comment on.

His decent stats in the champions league were for completing a lot of passes while getting skudded 7-1 etc. there’s no value to that.

I never said he wasn’t good and I certainly would’ve had him at Rangers in a heartbeat. I also said he was a good captain, no issues with the compliments about how he lifted a team, but his hard-man, commanding style of play only became prominent against vastly inferior midfields. He was chasing shadows last season and surprise surprise, he was as quiet as a mouse.

It’s no surprise I don’t like the guy, he is a player people loved to hate and Scottish football is infinitely better off with characters like him in the game. But with that being said, I’m glad his career has endured a pretty embarrassing end after he lorded it over so many for so long.

54 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The one downside of this news is that his inevitable appearance as a pundit is now a step closer

He's got no profile down south so would be restricted to Scottish football - a repacement for Sutton or Hartson for OF games or maybe some OF bantz  with Kris Boyd on the Beeb.

If you're minted from your playing career I'd reckon punditry is the better option.

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Would you not say the best people to decide if he is worthy of that moniker are the fans of the clubs he played for? 

Didn’t you scream the whole “1 in 9, unworthy” patter when I said Gerrard had become iconic after winning the league last season? 🤔 

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

No, I’m not pretending he didn’t win them, but similarly, he faced no credible challenge during the majority of that time, which I mentioned.

Additionally, his influence on games against us severely dropped off when Gerrard came in. That is when we first started to put things together.

It was the same when he faced Walter Smith’s side prior to 2012. He was much more ineffective in comparison to his following 8 years or so. That’s what I base my “found out” comment on.

His decent stats in the champions league were for completing a lot of passes while getting skudded 7-1 etc. there’s no value to that.

I never said he wasn’t good and I certainly would’ve had him at Rangers in a heartbeat. I also said he was a good captain, no issues with the compliments about how he lifted a team, but his hard-man, commanding style of play only became prominent against vastly inferior midfields. He was chasing shadows last season and surprise surprise, he was as quiet as a mouse.

It’s no surprise I don’t like the guy, he is a player people loved to hate and Scottish football is infinitely better off with characters like him in the game. But with that being said, I’m glad his career has endured a pretty embarrassing end after he lorded it over so many for so long.

To suggest they had no credible challenge to win any of the 12 trophies on the bounce is pretty ridiculous, Rangers* were racking up heavy losses at the time to do so and even doing well in Europe latterly. Speaking of, he was rarely at fault in Europe and was often the guy still always looking for the ball in those scuddings you speak of, that is not the mark of a man being ‘found out’ and his stats prove that. He also won players player of the year in 2009 so that pre-20012 stuff doesn’t really add up either really.

Edited by gannonball

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Didn’t you scream the whole “1 in 9, unworthy” patter when I said Gerrard had become iconic after winning the league last season? 🤔 

Nope i simply said a 1 in 10 trophy return is pretty poor. If you want to call Gerrard an icon as a Rangers manager that’s up to you however for me my bar is set considerably higher 

Edited by Jinky67

A helluva lot of people getting their knickers in a twist about Scott Brown. From my point of view I absolutely hated him when he was with Celtic, loved him from July until December last year when he really wasn’t a waste of a shirt that some Aberdeen fans on here are saying (one anyway), and have been pretty indifferent to him during 2022, apart from waving Ryan Kent bye bye. Not sure why some non-Celtic fans are getting all upset about him being called a Celtic legend. I’ve no idea whether he should be considered a Celtic legend or not and it’s got nothing to do with me, but if Celtic fans think he’s a Celtic legend then he’s a Celtic legend. I would thank him for most of his time at Pittodrie.

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

Nope i simply said a 1 in 10 trophy return is pretty poor. If you want to call Gerrard an icon as a Rangers manager that’s up to you however for me my bar is set a little higher

So yeah, basically you were giving your opinion on how he should be regarded by his fans, which is what you’re opposing here.