Stenhousemuir -vs- Edinburgh City (Saturday 12 March 2022)

So it's come down to this. Our upcoming match against Edinburgh City will be our most important in the season so far and will be decisive in the battle for the final play-off place. If we win, we'll overtake our opponents and move into fourth; lose, and we have a six-point deficit to overcome with seven games remaining. This is the very definition of a six-pointer!

I thought our team deserved something from Kelty Hearts on Tuesday night - while they were obviously the better side, we defended so well and turned in one of our most disciplined performance of the season - and I wonder what toll the game will have taken on us, both physically and mentally. Our players looked exhausted and to lose in such a manner could be demoralising; I hope that isn't the case and we're able to put the same degree of effort in on Saturday, given what's at stake.

Providing everyone is fit and available, I can't see any reason to change too much from the same personnel and system that started on Saturday. The only alterations I would make would be Adam Brown in for Ross Forbes in behind the forwards and, if he's back at Ochilview, Peter Urminsky to return in goal (David Wilson was fine in his last two performances but Urminsky is simply a better player). I was hugely impressed with the midfield three on Tuesday - who knew that Mikey Anderson was such a good footballer!

- Tam Orr - Robert Thomson -

- Adam Brown -

- Mikey Miller - Nat Wedderburn - Mikey Anderson -

- Callum Yeats - Sean Crighton - Nicky Jamieson - Adam Corbett -

- Peter Urminsky -

I've seen us play Edinburgh twice this campaign, both times at Ainslie Park, and I didn't think they were great. They're a tidy, technical team but they seem a little soft. I think they can be got at. A point isn't the worst result in the world but anything less than that is a disaster.

Home win!

8 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

So it's come down to this. Our upcoming match against Edinburgh City will be our most important in the season so far

Funny but I could have sworn you said exactly the same thing 10 days ago for the game at Ainslie Park.... :)

City have been more lively on the road this season that at the Ainslie Park arena. Judging by Danny Handling's Instagram, our lads have been 'bonding' over a pint or 6 in recent days. Expect the unexpected. 

Edinburgh defended well and deserved their point. Time wasting was expected but having seen plenty over the years that was some of the worst, not a dig at EC but the ref was not in the slightest bit interested in clamping down on it, was bizarre. I also think EC gave us far too much respect even with 10, we were def there for taking on the break I thought but they were obviously happy enough with the point.

The minute the red happened I suggested to the guy next to me change the system now to expose them better but we took too long to do that and bar a couple of moments never looked likely in all honesty.

Still all to play for and I am glad to have a break this midweek. Re-charge the batteries.

We looked leggy, looking back at the game now maybe that Kelty game has taken something out of us physically and mentally. We huffed and puffed but never really looked like blowing the house down. Apart from the double save from the free kick after the sending off, I can't really remember Schwake pulling off any saves of note. We could still be playing just now and I don't think we would have scored. 

In a week where we should have taken 4 points we have ended up with 1. It's a huge blow but we go again next week. No midweek game, a chance to recharge the batteries and hopefully O'Reilly will be back in the squad next week.

Certainly looked like the last few games have caught up with us.  After the sending off I though we had to up the tempo and spread the ball about but for the majority of the time it was like a slow ponderous build up. According to the BBC we had 24 shots at goal but really their keeper did not have a great deal to do.

We would have done the same but the time wasting by City was a joke but they got away with it partly due to an incompetent referee who was not interested in their tactics.  I am not sure if we had Ball Boys or not but if so then they need to do what they are supposed to do or there is no point in having them.

Certainly have no gripes with Edinburgh City regarding the ridiculous time wasting with the goalkeeper and occasional player dropping like a fly to waste more time. The referee has got to be stronger in the situation, nip in the bud early with a booking or it's just going to play out as it did yesterday.

To that end it was the perfect perfromance from Edinburgh really after going down to ten men so early.

No problem with the Edinburgh tactics but the referee could certainly have dealt with it differently. The incident with See down injured for a couple of minutes, and still the goalkeeper wasn’t ready to take the goal kick was ridiculous.

Definitely a few of our team looked to feeling the effects of a few games in quick succession. Thomson in particular, oh, and Ross Forbes.

I think Swift could and should have made changes at half time. We needed pace and creativity but he seemed reluctant to change things. Corbett was having a nightmare and Anderson wasn’t what was needed in the middle.

A weeks rest will be welcome I would imagine.

When we came up from the Lowland League we noticed just about every team in the Division knew the "dark arts" which City had to quickly learn. I can't say I particularly like "shitfesting" but if everyone else does it then why should my team be the patsies?

Anyway we could have played 120 minutes and Stenny wouldn't have scored. It would have been sweet to have nicked a goal at the end but earning a point with 10 men away from home is pretty good. 

And while you're moaning about the ref he missed a stonewall penalty for City in the first half so it cuts both ways. 

When we came up from the Lowland League we noticed just about every team in the Division knew the "dark arts" which City had to quickly learn. I can't say I particularly like "shitfesting" but if everyone else does it then why should my team be the patsies?
Anyway we could have played 120 minutes and Stenny wouldn't have scored. It would have been sweet to have nicked a goal at the end but earning a point with 10 men away from home is pretty good. 
And while you're moaning about the ref he missed a stonewall penalty for City in the first half so it cuts both ways. 
I thought that was a stonewall too but there seemed to be very little reaction from either the EC fans who were very close to it or the players so assumed they had the better view and it wasn't.

23 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It would have been sweet to have nicked a goal at the end

Its a pity your players didn't think similarly, in injury time you had a free kick in the opposing half wide on the right hand side. For some reason your player kicked it out of play, down near the corner flag, like they would do in rugby union for a line out. An absolutely baffling decision.

Edited by BukyOHare