The Top Six Crunch

2 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

I would be incredibly angry if my club ever stooped to those depths.  However, even seeing a Rantic top in Edinburgh pisses me off.

St Mirren fans were exceedingly angry.

I believe club officials were similarly angry as they had not sanctioned that action by Celtic FC. 

From my limited understanding it was removed very soon after it had been put up. 

Ultimately St Mirren FC ltd. agreed a temporary lease of our facilities to Celtic. 

It suited both clubs at the time. I think Saints were in the Championship at the time and we are not in a position to ignore alternative revenue streams. 

Personally i’d rather the shame of such a damning photo than enter administration and screw innocent people and local businesses.

28 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

I would be incredibly angry if my club ever stooped to those depths.  However, even seeing a Rantic top in Edinburgh pisses me off.

Same here and sure Saints fans were tbh.  Get your point about the glory hunters taps too. Me too.

21 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I believe club officials were similarly angry as they had not sanctioned that action by Celtic FC. 

From my limited understanding it was removed very soon after it had been put up. 

Ultimately St Mirren FC ltd. agreed a temporary lease of our facilities to Celtic. 

It suited both clubs at the time. I think Saints were in the Championship at the time and we are not in a position to ignore alternative revenue streams. 

Personally i’d rather the shame of such a damning photo than enter administration and screw innocent people and local businesses.

All fair points imo.  

34 minutes ago, Molotov said:

When you're owned by a crazy, absentee, foreign owner the supporters really have no control over what happens.  Thank God we're fan-owned now.

Edited by Mr. X

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, we were done dirty by Celtic that day and everyone was pretty pissed off by it. Shocking behaviour when you think about what we did for them in 1986.

Not your fault, we should have got at least a draw at Dundee. A home thrashing by Celtic was always likely for your lot.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Look, if you're not going to rise to the bait then I really don't know what I'm doing here tbqhwy.

Well you're not rising to mine, so I think we're just wasting each others time.

27 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Even when discussing their own petty squabbles, the diddy fans can't stop talking about the Hearts. Rent free in every c**t's head imo. 😎

Aberdeen and Hibs will both scramble over the line into the top six in undignified fashion.

Is that what it takes to make the top 6 these days? Because there’s nothing dignified about the top 3 clubs, and Livi have a dealer for a manager.

22 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Even when discussing their own petty squabbles, the diddy fans can't stop talking about the Hearts. Rent free in every c**t's head imo. 😎

Aberdeen and Hibs will both scramble over the line into the top six in undignified fashion.

If you check back you'll see it was a Hertz fan who dug up the photo of the temporary Celtic shop at GHR that started this particular trip down memory lane.. 😎

Edited by btb

13 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

You got us mate.  Hearts truly are the most envied club in the whole of football.  I wish we had such an charismatic manager and our support twirled scarfs like a bunch of tossers.  Maroon is such a lovely colour too. :) 

Glad you had to pop into the thread also, of course.  Rent free? ;) 

Edited by Hoose Rice

13 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

At the expense of who? Us or St Mirren :D 

On 17/02/2023 at 17:37, Molotov said:

This is true.

The contract we had drawn up with  Celtic was for use of the ground and facilties for a couple of weeks when we were in Spain fit a pre season camp in 2014 as Parkhead was being used for the Commonwealth games and Celtic had two friendlies arranged.

The contract that was drawn up included use of the club shop to sell Celtic merchandise (at the time the club shop was still very much in a state of flux - more embarrassing for us was that you couldn't even fucking buy a Saints top at our own ground back then, you had to travel to JD Sports in Braehead as JD in Paisley didn't even stock it!) but there was nothing on the contract that approved the changing of any signage and so was not in accordance with the terms of the lease.

As funny as it appears to other fans, it massively fucked SMFC off and in fact by the time Celtic's first of two friendlies rolled around that evening, the sign had been removed at the demand of the board of Saints.

For a bit of context, SMFC in previous years had also rented grounds (both SMP and Love St) out to Rangers for reserve fixtures for many years and for training facilities of Ajax, Juventus and Grasshoppers Zurich (via Rangers) for champions league games in the mid 90s, The SFA for U21 and women's fixtures, UEFA for U19 European Championship fixtures, the SJFA for Junior Cup finals and Morton for a couple of fixtures back in the 90s when they needed. 

Renting our ground out wasn't a new prospect but Celtic were the only temporary tenant to take liberties with this and the overstep was soon corrected.

Edited by djchapsticks

19 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Our next 5 games are, Aberdeen (A), Hibs (H), Dundee Utd (H), Ross County (H) and St Mirren (A). Massive games against the teams around us, it's time to sink or swim.

Your games against Aberdeen, Hibs and St Mirren are opportunities to make it very difficult for those clubs to get the top six. Basically three shots at clinching it. Expect you'll take at least one of them. 

St Johnstone in the opposite position of needing to take something from fixtures against all of those three. 

Personally think the Dons will f**k it by losing a game we're not "expected" to. Probably at McDiarmid.