Wales v Austria - Who are we supporting?

Donathan

Pros of a Wales win:

- Cardiff could be an all time great away day for the tartan army

- Chance to knock a rival out of the world cup

- Avoids the players having to go into a hostile overseas environment 

Pros of an Austria win:

- Wales are a bogey team

- Took 4/6 point off them in the main qualifying including winning in Austria

- Lower world ranking than Wales

I’ll lean Austria purely because I fancy our chances of winning there slightly more than in Cardiff. 

Austria by miles.

I'd say Vienna would be a better trip than Cardiff. More tickets, better chance of getting a home end ticket for those who don't make the points criteria and a better place to go plus Bratislava isn't far for cheap flights and a cheap place to stay if doing it on a budget. If they put out Wales then we get the Welsh trip at the end of the month without any pressure on it too.

Plus I'd fancy our chances of getting a result against them more.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Unfounded reasoning but I don't like facing a team we've recently got a big result against. Is the humongous striker back for them now too?

On the flipside, I'd get a ticket for Austria but would be quite tight for Wales so who knows.

I'd rather play Wales. They aren't what they were 3/4 years ago and on paper we do have a much stronger squad. 

I always got the impression Austria weren't too arsed about the qualifiers as they were in the play off anyway. They have essentially been gearing up to these play offs for a year and a half.

Austria. Wales are the kind of team who aren’t great but the whole drama of it being a home nation just adds pressure to an already massive game and it’s the kind of game they’ll be massively up for - I still think they might be marginally better than Austria.

Austria. Wales are the kind of team who aren’t great but the whole drama of it being a home nation just adds pressure to an already massive game and it’s the kind of game they’ll be massively up for - I still think they might be marginally better than Austria.

Tbf we've more than shown over the past 15/16 months that we can get "massively up for" huge pressure matches. Czech Republic and the first half v Israel might be the only exceptions and even they weren't capitulations.

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Tbf we've more than shown over the past 15/16 months that we can get "massively up for" huge pressure matches. Czech Republic and the first half v Israel might be the only exceptions and even they weren't capitulations.

Croatia as well. We had a home game where a win would take us to the knockout stages and we got utterly rinsed. 

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Oh yes, I do agree - I didn’t mean to suggest we couldn’t play high pressure games. More I just see these as a potential banana-skin for any team really. Between a choice of mega-high pressure or just super high-pressure, then I’d always go with the lesser pressure match 🤣

Croatia as well. We had a home game where a win would take us to the knockout stages and we got utterly rinsed. 
Croatia were just much, much better. I wouldn't put it down to the team/Clarke freezing or anything unlike the other two.

Take Bale and Ramsey out and that team is utter rank. 

What they really need is a few heavy, soul crushing defeats to wipe out the confidence they have carried from euro 2016 to this day.

Goalkeepers: Hennessey, A Davies, King

Defenders: B Davies, Rodon, Cabango, Ampadu, Mepham, N Williams, Norrington-Davies, Roberts, Gunter

Midfielders: Levitt, Ramsey, Colwill, Morrell, Vaulks, Allen, Wilson, Williams, S Thomas

Forwards: Bale, Johnson, Harris, James, Matondo

Edited by red23

From an actual progression perspective, it's a tough one.  I'd be inclined to say Austria as we've already proved we can beat them in Vienna, albeit a potential final is probably going to be a completely different atmosphere to that second gear game we played what seems like 300 years ago.  Wales give me the fear.  Not because I don't think we can beat them - we absolutely could - but just that feeling that no matter how well we play, it's a derby that we could well f**k up.  But...I would fucking love to put them out.

Wales by a whisker.  Probably because given I won't be travelling for it, I won't need to be in Glasgow watching them celebrate if we do lose.

17 hours ago, accies1874 said:
18 hours ago, Donathan said:

Croatia were just much, much better. I wouldn't put it down to the team/Clarke freezing or anything unlike the other two.

I would put Croatia about 80% down to Clarke making an absolute arse of it that day tbh.  

We played long ball football giving the ball away repeatedly and let Modric play unhindered in the hole.  Yes they were better than us but not to the level we showed that that day

Wales probably have the weaker players, but they've been greater than the sum of their parts for years.  Take Bale and Ramsey out, and they drop a few rungs further down the ladder.

Austria have better players, but are a worse team.

I'd rather play Wales, but that's probably my naivety speaking.  I always expect them to be awful, and they somehow often aren't.

That said, they've had some really poor performances in the last year again mediocre teams.